Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timothyotoole Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2013, 04:39 AM
    Vector Equations and Equations of Motion in Physics
    A child's swing of length L, attached y = L + y0 above the ground, reaches a maximum heigh of y = h during the swing.
    I am trying to write vector equations for the instantaneous velocity, as a function of L, g, h, y and y0.
    I am also trying to write an equation for the time it will take after leaving the swing until landing on the ground; again as a function of: v(x), v(y), g and y0.
    Then I am trying to write an equation for the horizontal distance travelled as a function of L, g, h, y and y0.
    Finally, I am trying to provide a simplified equation for the horizontal distance travelled as function of L, g, h, and y, when y0 = 0.
    Thank you to anyone who can help me.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 17, 2013, 09:43 AM
    I suggest you start with the equation of motion for the swing in polar coordinates, which for small angles of displacement is:

The solution of this differential equation is:

where A = the max displacement of the swing in radians. The velocity equation is the derivative of this:

To get this in terms of angle theta replace the cosine term with a sine equivalent:

Hence:

Now to get into terms of linear velocity rather than radial velocity:

The vector components of v in cartesian coordinates can then be found using:

So now you have x and y components of velocity for any angle of the swing. When you jump off the swing at angle you can calculate distance and altitide achieved using standard equations of motion for a projectile. You will have to convert into values of h to get it into the terms you want, but that's fairly trivial.

Hope this helps.
    timothyotoole Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2013, 01:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    I suggest you start with the equation of motion for the swing in polar coordinates, which for small angles of displacement is:

The solution of this differential equation is:

where A = the max displacement of the swing in radians. The velocity equation is the derivative of this:

To get this in terms of angle theta replace the cosine term with a sine equivalent:

Hence:

Now to get into terms of linear velocity rather than radial velocity:

The vector components of v in cartesian coordinates can then be found using:

So now you have x and y components of velocity for any angle of the swing. When you jump off the swing at angle you can calculate distance and altitide achieved using standard equations of motion for a projectile. You will have to convert into values of h to get it into the terms you want, but that's fairly trivial.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you for the very helpful pointer towards solving this problem.
    Forgive me for asking, but how would convert theta into values of h to get it into the necessary terms?
    Expert

Jun 18, 2013, 05:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by timothyotoole View Post
    Forgive me for asking, but how would convert theta into values of h to get it into the necessary terms?
    sheila1983 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2013, 07:05 AM
    Sorry, but should this be:
    h = y0 + L (1 - cos theta) ? -
    because the maximum height that the swing could reach the grind would be
    h = y0 + ( L - L cos theta).

Also, is the angle theta that the swing makes with the vertical (as described above) not different from the angle that the child launches himself from the swing?
    So how is it possible to use this angle in the equations for projectile motion when one is attempting to find the horizontal distance that the child lands from the swing as a function of L, g, h, y and y0
    Expert

Jul 2, 2013, 09:04 AM
    sheila - good catch. I agree that it should be

The angle of launch of the chid from the horizontal is equal to .
    Attached Images

sheila1983 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2013, 11:50 AM
    sheila - good catch. I agree that it should be

The angle of launch of the chid from the horizontal is equal to .
    Oh yes, I see now. Thanks for that. The picture helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Equations of Motion [ 0 Answers ]

If a Ski-Jumper leaves a ramp with a horizontal velocity of 10 metres per second and no vertical velocity and lands on the snow again after 5 seconds, how far does he jump and what is the height difference between the end of the ramp and the landing point? Also, if a second Ski-Jumper, whose...

Physics Question on Newton's Laws and the Equations of Motion [ 6 Answers ]

A train is travelling up a 3.73 degree incline at a speed of 3.25 metres per second, when the last cart breaks free and begins to coast without friction. (I) How long does it take for the last cart to come to rest momentarily (ii) How far did the last cart travel before (momentarily) coming to...

Vector equations [ 2 Answers ]

The question is: Find a vector equation of the line that is parallel to the line of intersection o f 3x - y + 2z = 6 and 2x + y - z = 4 and passes through P(5, -1, -3). Solution: 3x - y + 2z = 6 Let this be #1 2x + y - z = 4 Let this be #2 Now we subtract #2 from...

Vector equations of lines [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone explain how this is done: Let L1 be the line through the points P(4, -1,1) and Q(1,0,-3) and L2: (x-3)/4=(y+2)/-2=(z+5)/3 1. Find the vector equations of the lines L1 and L2. 2. Find the point of intersection between the lines L1 and L2.

View more questions Search