Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nastonja Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2013, 10:34 PM
    Bad name
    Asalam alaykom my dear brothers and sisters.I want to get your opinions on this one,ever since I became Muslim,my parents rarely call me and always sound not happy when talking to me.as am just remaining with a month before I go back to my country in shaa Allah, I want to know how I will address this issue,my traditional name means 'WIFE OF god' which I know such names are not accepted in Islam,when I go back to my country in shaa Allah,I need to change the name on my national card which I cannot do without the presence of my parents,I bear the name of my fathers late mother which he can't accept me to change it.I hate this traditional name but I really do not know how to tell my parents to stop using it.I can't wait until they accept Islam for me to tell them as I do not know how long that will take.how should I approach them about this?
    smkanand Posts: 602, Reputation: 56

Jun 17, 2013, 12:39 AM
    You can not force anybody including your parents to accept islam or any other religion. As far as name is concerned, you can request your parents to support in case of changing name. But as you said you have converted to islam, in that case you can provide sufficient documents of conversion to authorities and I'm sure they will accept it. Second thing as you said, you hate the name given by your parents that of your grandmother, this attitude is creating more trouble for you. If you simply say to your parents that you wish to follow a islamic name, they will understand.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2013, 12:17 PM
    What country are you from?

Something I learned on my journey with Islam, is that when things like this happen, Allah is understanding, and forgiving. If you are unable to change the name that you had no choice in, he will understand. My family was violently prejudice, and threatened to take my child away several times. Because of this there were days I was unable to preform Salah at all. Or wear a cover.

When the world gives us no option, Allah does not condemn us. Especially when we are so devoted to Him, that we are willing to forsake others for Him.

Im not sure what country you are from or how old you are. But if your parents refuse to get your name changed, at what age would you be allowed to change it yourself?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pain in throat tooth nerves but teeth don't hurt bad taste bad breath [ 2 Answers ]

Pain not in teeth but throat .bad taste bad breath ,facing surgery ,not dental And concerned about risks ,no matter how much I brush floss ,use mouthwash It doesn't help .I also cough up flemm

How do I tell whether my washer has a bad transmission or a bad electronic control pa [ 5 Answers ]

I have a GE Profile clothes washer that is about 8 years old. It used to go to a low speed spin before kicking into high speed. Now, it only goes directly into a high speed spin. When this began, it gave off a burning smell that alarmed my wife. It doesn't give off that odor when I run the "drain...

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

View more questions Search