Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jun 15, 2013, 12:20 PM
    Hot water leaking in tub
    We have called the landlord and he wants us to get a plumber and pay for it and then take off next month's rent. I will not call on a weekend so will call Monday.
    The hot water is leaking a fair bit you can not turn tap off any more. Hubby can not find the water shut off valve for the hot water. He found one under the sink but says it is unable to be turned either way. Can we turn off the valve by the hot water tank and just turn it back on when someone needs to use it? We are unsure if the tank will drain and then the heater will break.
    Also what are peoples thoughts on water softeners. We seem to have issues with plumbing (taps leaking mainly) every couple of months. Where I live people have said we have hard water. Can that be the issue?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 15, 2013, 12:57 PM
    More details please. I need to know the brand name of the tub valve. If you have a tub access panel you may check for shut off valves there. Otherwise, remove the faceplate and look for screwdriver sops on either side of the supplies. If they are they are then turned the left-hand screwdriver stop to the right to shut off the hot water. Do you want directions on how to repair the valve? Let me know, Tom
    Dogs Expert

Jun 15, 2013, 01:00 PM
    I will show hubby this when he gets home and come back with answers to your questions. He will be home in approximately 2.5 hours thank you
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 15, 2013, 01:05 PM
    Yes. You can turn the water off at the water heater but you will be turning off all the hot water to the house.
    Dogs Expert

Jun 15, 2013, 04:14 PM
    Thanks, I now know how to turn the hot water off. Now to take it apart and see if home depot has any, here is hoping it is not too old and I can get the part.

The above was what Hubby said.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 16, 2013, 02:04 PM
    Tell us more about you.faucet, is it one handle or two knobs? What brand is it? Don't forget to flush out the supplies once you have it part.. Do you need directions or instructions? Back to you Tom
    Dogs Expert

Jun 17, 2013, 08:56 AM
    It is very old no name brand on it at all. When we took the guts to home depot they said if the washers did not work we would need new taps as it is too old they had no -parts for it. We put the rubber washer on and it worked. Total cost $2 and change.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 17, 2013, 02:17 PM
    We thank you for letting us know. Glad you got to fixed and if we can ever help in the future we'reas a click Good luck, Tom
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 17, 2013, 04:40 PM
    Yes, thanks for the update.

to home depot they said
    Just so you know, there are no plumbers working at Home Dummies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low hot water pressure to tub (only) after replacing hot water tank [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced my hot water tank and installed a new one. Now, the hot water pressure in the shower/bathtub (only) is weak - all other faucets seem normal, and the cold water in the shower is fine. Water pressure was fine before I replaced the tank, the problems with the old one were that the...

Why do we have no hot water pressure since replacing leaking hot water pipe [ 3 Answers ]

We replaced a section of hot water pipe that was leaking and so had to turn off our home's main water supply (it was off for about 24 hours). The pipe is now fixed but we have no water coming out of hot water taps, except a trickle when the cold water taps are also open. We have tried opening all...

Tub spout is leaking hot water [ 1 Answers ]

Tub spout is leaking hot water when not in use. One handle to turn on water and adjust hot/cold. Spout has the diverter for shower.

No hot water in one of showers, hot water in sink but not the tub and shower. [ 1 Answers ]

We just purchased a condo with no hot water in on of showers, hot water in sink but not the tub and shower. It is a Moen single handle the controls the tub abd shower, you pull up the stopper on the tub facet and the water comes out the shower. It seems that the handle should turn 270 deg like the...

Leaking hot water in tub kohler faucet [ 3 Answers ]

I have a kohler bathtub faucet that is leaking hot water. It has three knobs (hot, cold and shower). I turned off the water and tried to take the faucet apart. I took the screw out under the cap, but the cap will not come off to get to the inner workings. Any suggestions on how to get it apart....

View more questions Search