Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkmcdaniel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 08:26 AM
    Donations for Consignment Shop
    Is it okay to take donations to open a thrift shop?

Teresa
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 24, 2007, 08:56 AM
    I do it a lot but only to shops run by churches or shelters.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2007, 06:21 PM
    There is nothing illegal in taking clothing donations from people willing to help you out in your new business. However it is illegal for anyone to try to take a tax write off for their donation. You must make them aware that this is to help you out and your business is a "for profit" enterprise.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2007, 07:58 PM
    You can make a "donation" to any charity group that is approved by the IRS iether by official letter of determination or by being exempt such as churches under the 501C regulations.

You can not "donate" things to a for profit business. Now people can give you things to sell and give them to you free, but you have to be very clear, that you are not a charity, and they are getting no tax credit for this.

Now you will find that some of the major Goodwill and Salvation Army sties actually have sales or auctions of excess items, and also sell bundles of clothers ( these are bales that are compressed by a big machine of assorted clothes)

Also you will normally find local auction houses that have a lot of excess itmes ( boxed items) where the entire box of items sell for one or two dollars, ( this is where a lot of resale shops get their items they sell, we have three such auctions each have two sales a week, within 15 miles of my house.

Also you go by people having a yard sale on the last day for their sale, toward time to close up and offer them a price for everything they have left.

Also depending on what country you are in, and if in the US what state, as to if you can legally call your store a "thrift" store also. In some areas this name denotes a charity where the money paid for the items is going to be used for a non profit group. So you will see other names such as re-sale, yard sale, pre-owned or other name.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2007, 08:03 PM
    Fr Chuck, excellent suggestions about where she can pick up things at a discounted price! But, you forgot the most important one! Church Rummage Sales! Some of them have these $1 "grab bags". They take the clothes and place them into large clear bags and you get the whole bag for $1.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Consignment Store Insurance Coverage [ 1 Answers ]

Where in North Carolina can I get property and liability coverage for my consignment children's store?

Donations [ 1 Answers ]

If a church is incorporated, but does not have a 501c3 status can donations be counted off on income tax. Would we be able to give a receipt for their income tax?

How much do donations affect amount owed or refunded [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Can anyone tell me just how much a tax deductible donation affects the amount you will owe or be refunded on annual returns? We had to pay around $3,000 last year. I would rather donate that, or at least a large portion of that, to my child's school or other organization. If we donate, how...

View more questions Search