Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Jan 31, 2005, 09:17 PM
    Hybrid automobiles
    Would like to know the good and bad experiences people who now own hybrid cars have had. Planning on buying a new car this October and need info to make a smart decision. Plan on going to the auto show at McCormick Place so I can ask ?'s directly and see what will be offered for the 2006 year in cars.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2005, 02:57 AM
    Personally have not had one nor want one (v8 powers my only game) but basically they have a 4 cylinder gas engine that drives a generator, you run off the gas engine most of the time then when braking it puts power back into the battery cells and then if need be the engine provides the power. It gives great fuel economy and some like it but they are slow, very slow. If I were you I'd go with the new chevy aveo or something that's under 10,000 grand for the base model and it has a eco-tech four cylinder which is very fuel efficient. Expand your possibility's.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2005, 08:02 AM
    My daughter has an 02 Honda Insight. They are very happy with it. They have over 100,000 miles on it, and I think a bad shock absorber replaced under warranty was the only problem. When they bought it, my daughter was commuting about 60 miles each way. It saved her a ton of money on gas. She has since found a job close to home. It is a 2 seater, but has plenty of room for dogs and other luggage. More roomy sedans are available for those that need them.

The performance may not satisfy those determined to burn up the last of our fossil fuels as quickly as possible for cheap thrills, but it has no problem with keeping up with traffic. Drive one, and make up your own mind. Also look at published performance figures. It is hard to say what gas prices are going to do the next few years. I wouldn't buy something counting on them not to go up sharply. If they do, count on hearing a lot of whining from people that insisted on buying guzzlers.

Feb 5, 2005, 10:08 PM
    Love the V8's also but do not drive one anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    personally have not had one nor want one (v8 powers my only game) but basically they have a 4 cylinder gas engine that drives a generator, you run off the gas engine most of the time then when braking it puts power back into the battery cells and then if need be the engine provides the power. it gives great fuel economy and some like it but they are slow, very slow. if i were you i'd go with the new chevy aveo or something thats under 10,000 grand for the base model and it has a eco-tech four cylinder which is very fuel efficient. expand your possibility's.
    Believe me I would buy another V8 but gas cost too much to drive one. Had a 79 Bonneville and after that 1984 Riviera-both rode and drove like a cadillac. But have to be more practical. Next car will be brand new-done owning fixer uppers. Right now kind of turned off by american cars as they seem to have a lot of recalls (not saying foreign cars do not have recalls) but they seem to recall them a lot less often. After the Chicago auto show will decide which cars to test drive and make a decision from there.
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2005, 11:12 AM
    Yeah get what you mean, me myself I own a 1980 chevy caprice classic. Bought it for around 600 bucks about 5 years or more ago and well the old 267 v8 still going strong. Gas ain't toooooo bad.

Feb 6, 2005, 09:50 PM
    Good luck w/your Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    yeah get what ya mean, me myself i own a 1980 chevy caprice classic. bought it for around 600 bucks about 5 years or more ago and well the old 267 v8 still going strong. gas ain't toooooo bad.
    The v8 engine will outlast anything less than the powerful v8. When I drove the Riv if I had to get out of someone's way I could just punch it and the car moved with no hesitation. Beautiful, wonderful car-oh how I miss my Riviera.
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2005, 09:57 PM
    Yeah them's were the goodies. This girl has some if you know what I mean. Rear wheel drive and well she's smoked a couple tires. Got to love it when the whole body shakes from the engine reving :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling Automobiles [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone have any information on the best way to go when trying to sell a vehicle you still owe on? Instead of having to bring negative equity over into a new vehicle, I would rather try to sell mine and let someone else take over the payments. My trade in value is less than payoff...

Tax deduction on hybrid [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am non-residient alient having Nationality Indian and for 2005 my visa status was F1 and then OPT. I bought a Honda civic hybrid so I have question whether I can have a tax deduction on it. I have read following links and I am confuse.. ...

View more questions Search