Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dburrows Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Mar 24, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Pulling up a couple Peel and Stick Vinyl Tiles
    I laid peel and stick down in the foyer a few years ago and everything is in tip-top shape, good as new, except that I managed to damage 4 of them this morning when I was moving some stuff.

How can I go about bringing up just those 4 tiles without damaging the stuff already there? I've got about 10 tiles left from the job sitting in my garage so I could just put those down in place of the bad.

Thanks in advance!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 24, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Do not pick at the edges of the tile because it may damage the tile next to it. Chip the center of a tile with a screw driver or putty knife to pry it out. Clean and scrap the floor under the old tile. Have the new tiles in the same room for a day to insure they are of the same temp and humidity. When you remove the old tile make note of the arrow showing the direction the tile should be laid, they have like a grain to them. Put the new tile in the same direction,cupping it slightly so it will fit inside the old perimeter.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Most quick way is a torch keeping it moving all over the tile. You could try a big pan of ice and salt water on the tile, or dry ice.

Mar 24, 2007, 10:04 AM
    Peel and stick may come up very easily. I've sometimes had trouble getting them to stay down. A lot depends on what the sub floor is made from and how clean it was during the initial installation.

Mar 24, 2007, 10:23 AM
    Would a hair dryer maybe help?

I've had this stuff laying there for a little over 2 years now and those things are on there really good I'm sure since there is absolutely no peeling or anything. They look as if they were laid down yesterday so I really want to be careful when bringing them up.

Mar 24, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Hair dryer will soften the tile so its an option worth trying. I think once you chip/pry one in the center you'll find it won't be that difficult.
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Mar 24, 2007, 01:08 PM
    Use a heat gun and start in the middle :)
    caesars charm Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Mar 25, 2007, 06:02 PM
    I removed some tiles a few years ago and all I used was some brown paper and a clothes iron. Lay the paper on the tile you want up and keep rubbing the hot iron over it until it becomes easy to remove. Just a snap.

Mar 25, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Come on guys, this is peel and stick not glued down tile. It comes right up, you don't need an iron. There is so little adhesive on peel and stick that they barely stick at all. Don't make the guys job harder.
    caesars charm Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Mar 25, 2007, 09:06 PM
    Hey ballengerb1. If you don't put lots of heat to those tlies, it's a possilibity that you'll keep running in to the good tiles and ruin their edges. That was only my opinion and wasn't intended to make anybodies job harder. Like I said it's a simple solution and I've tried it and there's nothing hard about it. If the tiles were down a long time, yes they'll need lots of heat. Just my experience.

Mar 25, 2007, 09:11 PM
    I am not jumping on you Caesar but a little bit on everyone. These tiles have been down for only a few years. He should try the simple technique I suggested first. He probably will not need to take all of the extra measures suggested by other posts. If I am wrong (once or twice) then he can go looking for more involved techniques. Try simple first is a good rule of thumb. Have a good one Caesar

Mar 26, 2007, 04:42 AM
    I finished the job yesterday afternoon and it was a breeze.

Using a hair dryer, I kept it on the center of the four tiles and started digging the edges up with a knife. Once I got the corner of all four up, I kept the dryer on them and started peeling. Only 1 tile broke up a little bit but the others came up in one piece.

The floor looks good as new :)
    chillinjoan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2012, 04:41 PM
    I have had stick tile on my concrete floor for 15 years now. It is a glue nightmare underneath. Can I just put new stick tiles on top of the old glue?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 7, 2012, 08:37 PM
    Yes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Peel and stick vinyl tiles [ 4 Answers ]

Looking to use these in my kitchen because I can't get the same pattern on a roll of vinyl.Now I have never used these before and have a couple questions.I know they come with glue on the backs but how good is it.Does it hold for a short time but then they come loose.See wondering if I should add...

Old glue on floor from stick-on tiles [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I removed the old damaged stick-on tiles from my bathroom floor, and the floor is terrazzo. I do understand that this kind of floor is porous so there is going to be some difficulty in getting it clean. The glue surface left behind is rough, gritty and is holding a lot of dirt. It looks...

Peel and stick tile [ 4 Answers ]

How can I keep my peel and stick tile from popping up? I've tried sticking more glue on the back of the tile, but that does not work. It is being put on 1/4 plywood subfloor.

Peel and stick [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to put peel and stick on an already tiled floor. The tiling was well done so I don't want to tear it up. It's just ugly for my taste. How can I pull this off?

View more questions Search