Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Droff Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Flexible Ductwork
    I have flexible ducting for my heat and air and my house is about 11 years old. All of the tees and branches from the main duct lines are connected by duct tape, which is now starting to give and come apart. There seems to be metal or aluminum tubes inside the duct at the connections, but the only thing holding them together is the falling apart duct tape.
    What can I do to make this a better joint with less worry of heating/cooling my non living space attic, other than adding more duct tape?
    Thanks.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 24, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Proper flex duct connection is simple. For a deluxe job you use mastic on the metal connector and place the flex inner liner over it. Then you use very large cable ties designed for this purpose and a tension tool to tighten. Then you pull the ends of the flex over the joint and tape.

Many times people do not use the mastic because it can be messy to work with but it does provide a much better seal.

All of these materials and tools are available from a supply house or possibly Home Depot
    Droff Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 08:20 AM
    So I need to pull back the outer shielding of the duct, attach the liner over the metal, then install cable ties. After that, pull the outer shielding over the ties and tape with duct tape? (This is not using the mastic, not sure if it has been used or not).
    Are the cable ties just regular ties that are large enough for this application?
    Thanks.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 24, 2007, 09:52 AM
    The cable ties are wider and much longer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flexible Budget [ 1 Answers ]

What is its purpose? eliminate cyclical fluctuations in producation reports by ignoring variable costs compare actual and budgeted results at virtually every level of production reduce total time in preparing actual budget I think it is the second one, does a1 disagree?

Mastic vs. Foil Tape for Galvanized Ductwork [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have a recommendation for sealing galvanized ductwork? I've read that mastic is the best, but looks like it might be a bit of a mess. Tape seems easier, but I've read that most don't perform very well. Any thoughts? What about a specific brand of tape that is approved by most building...

Ductwork squeak [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have never asked a question on this forum before, so I apologize if I do not follow convention. About 3 days ago, I noticed a squeak coming from what appears to be my heating ductwork only when the furnace is on. The squeak seems to be about 1 second long and occurs approximately every...

Dref:flexible company [ 1 Answers ]

Do you agree only flexible & responsive company can success in noises & disorganize environment?

View more questions Search