Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UnigirlBelle Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2013, 02:17 PM
    Green aquarium
    I am not sure what is going on with my aquarium all of a sudden. The water is green, an algae bloom, I think. I haven't been doing anything different that I can think of, it's never been moved from its place in an alcove for the last 6 years. I was told by another site that it was getting too much light but as I say it's never been moved and the light it receives from the window is constant and I only turn the hood light on in the morning to feed them and sometimes in the evenings when it's dark in the house.
    It started a month ago when my Chinese algae eater died and I had to wait two weeks for a store to get more in but was told a pleco would be better because Chinese algae eaters have a tendency to pick on neons which is what my tank consists of, except for a flying fox, I had two but one died.
    I got a new filter thinking it was the problem and it cleared it for a couple of days now it is back to being green again. I have never had this much trouble and don't know what else to do.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 14, 2013, 03:11 PM
    Have you tried taking a water sample to a fish store? Most stores will do this for free and can recommend the next step.

Jun 14, 2013, 03:58 PM
    No, I know they do that if you have more than one fish death that you buy from them within a week but have never generally asked to test the water.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 14, 2013, 05:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by UnigirlBelle View Post
    No, I know they do that if you have more than one fish death that you buy from them within a week but have never generally asked to test the water.
    Take a sample in. They will test it for you and tell you how to fix it. It's worth a try.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 14, 2013, 08:35 PM
    This has some pretty good information in it:

How to Control Aquarium Algae

Also, I have found that plecos are really not the best choice for something to eat algae. A few of the smaller, more common algae eaters available at pet stores work better than plecos.

Jun 15, 2013, 03:10 AM
    If I got another Chinese algae eater, would it be compatible with pleco?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 15, 2013, 07:29 AM
    Plecos don't really bother anything except for the fact that they grow large... and I mean LARGE. They are actually nice fish although I have had some that would kind of "push" other fish out of the way... nothing bad though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Minnows in aquarium [ 28 Answers ]

Maybe this sounds really dumb, but I was just wondering, could I safely put minnows in my freshwater aquarium with my other fish?:confused:

Ph in aquarium [ 4 Answers ]

How do I keep my ph stable at 6.5 in my fish tank

Aquarium water ph [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 400litre tropical tank with malawi cichlids. The ph in the water keeps dropping to 6. The last time this happened I brought the ph back up to 8 using ph8.2 powder. I am due to change the water tomorrow but checked the water again out of curiousity but find it has dropped back down to 6...

Aquarium [ 3 Answers ]

I like to start fresh water aquarium business in India what r all the steps to start this show more over I also like to export this fish over seas kindly kind me need help urgently...

View more questions Search