Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lesleyurquhart Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2013, 08:30 AM
    Biological children's rights estate when stepmother and her kids don't keep in touch
    My natural father passed away last year leaving myself and my sister, he also left a wifr my stepmother and her two children, we are all adults now but they no longer keep in touch with us and we were woundering what our legal rights are?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2013, 08:39 AM
    Where do you live... because in most parts of the USA for example... you actually have no "RIGHTS" to an estate... Your parents (or anyone else) could give everything to the homeless person around the corner in their will and you could do nothing about it.

If the kids never bothered to keep in touch after they moved away when they were alive... then they really shouldn't get anything after they die.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2013, 09:24 AM
    Your legal rights to what? The belongings/money of someone you haven't been in contact with for years, as I'm reading this?

Where and was there a Will?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 14, 2013, 09:37 AM
    If there was a will and you were in it, you could still probably still get what he left you without too much trouble. You can contact the probate court where he died. They delay finalizing the estate when heirs can't be found. If everyone knew how to contact you, you probably weren't mentioned. Or there was no will, and no one bothered to tell you, or didn't even file with probate.
    If there was no will, you can easily find out the 'intestate' (not interstate) law in his state, and you may or may not be entitled to a portion. In most states the spouse at time of death gets a percentage, often half.
    There's no point in doing anything before you find out if there was a will or not.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 14, 2013, 10:03 AM
    Any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area. But you also left out one very important detail. Was there a will? If so, your legal rights are what were given in the will. If not, then you may have an inheritance depending on local laws.

If there was a will, do you know if it was submitted for probate?

Jun 14, 2013, 11:44 AM
    I live in scotland, and I was very close to my father, just not his wife and her kids, and its only since his death they have stopped comunicating with us,

Jun 14, 2013, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area. But you also left out one very important detail. Was there a will? If so, your legal rights are what were given in the will. If not, then you may have an inheritance depending on local laws.

If there was a will, do you know if it was submitted for probate?
    He left a will, but his wife never showed us it, her daughter dealt with everything my sister and I were not included in dealing with anything concerning it, he had a lawyer because he told me that but again don't know the lawyers name

Jun 14, 2013, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Your legal rights to what? The belongings/money of someone you haven't been in contact with for years, as I'm reading this?

Where and was there a Will?
    You are not reading it write, I was extremely close to my father, my mother died when I was six and he brought me and my sister up till he met and married his second wife but we never got on with her and her children, my father always told us that we would be looked after if anything ever happened to him, and now that it has they suddenelly stop talking to us, but again I had a great relationship with my father whom I visited every other day.
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2013, 12:32 PM
    This is what you posted when I answered you: "my natural father passed away last year leaving myself and my sister, he also left a wifr my stepmother and her two children, we are all adults now but they no longer keep in touch with us and we were woundering what our legal rights are?"

Anything else was added AFTER this - so I read you just fine.

Go to the Court that administers wills wherever your father lived and ask to see the Probate file.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 14, 2013, 12:53 PM
    From what Im reading you have a right to a portion of the "movable" property. That is property defined by Scotish Law. Inheritable property would be that type that is a house or land and for that you don't receive an automatic portion.

They should have done a valuation and split it accordingly upon his passing.

Ref:

The Inheritance Law in Scotland | eHow UK

Wills, probate & inheritance - Some information for residents of Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man,
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2013, 01:00 PM
    I'm reading there doesn't have to be a "probate" proceeding under a certain dollar value - HM Revenue & Customs: Inheritance Tax and the probate process

So - get a copy of the Will, find where it was filed, see what it says. The executor is/was duty bound to notify possible heirs.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 14, 2013, 03:22 PM
    Cdad and Judy gave you good links. See how important location is! I'm afraid you may need to see a solicitor to require an accounting of movable property to determine what you are entitled to.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 14, 2013, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'm reading there doesn't have to be a "probate" proceeding under a certain dollar value - HM Revenue & Customs: Inheritance Tax and the probate process
    This part?

"When you might not need a grant of representation

A grant may not be needed if the estate:
    • is a low-value estate - generally worth less than £5,000 (though this figure can vary) - and doesn't include land, property or shares
    • passes to the surviving spouse/civil partner because it was held in joint names

When you contact the deceased's bank or other financial institutions, they will either release the funds or tell you to get a grant of representation (or confirmation) first. Some banks and financial institutions may insist on a grant before giving you access to even a small amount of money. "

Not at all unexpected, actually. What it comes down to is that unless the decedent left real property or a bank account, either of which was in his own name and not a "survivorship" situation, no grant of representation (or probate proceeding as we would call it in the US) would normally be necessary.
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2013, 06:07 AM
    I didn't bother cutting and pasting and giving other than general info - I don't think OP understands how the legal system works (or how AMHD works, for that matter) - she didn't understand that I couldn't respond at 4PM to info she posted at 6PM (2 hours later) that same day - ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adoption of a step-child by stepmother when biological mother is not present. [ 2 Answers ]

My husband was granted custody of his daughter in 2009 after the biological mother was reported to children services and ended up failing the drug tests given through dcs. Following that, came removal of the child. My husband and I ended up getting full custody and the mother was given 2 supervised...

My rights to my Stepmother estate [ 4 Answers ]

When my mother and father divorced my dad got the house. He remarried and was married for 16yrs. He passed away in 2009 and stepmother stayed in the house. She passed away 2010 and has 3 children. My question is do me and my brother have any rights to the house and land or the estate. There is...

Rights to biological father's estate [ 3 Answers ]

My biological father recently passed, he and his family never formally acknowledged me as his daughter, although he has admitted it to me over the years. His wife was very active in church and community and considered me an embarrassment. He is extremely weathly, owned much of the town they lived...

CA inheritance law re: stepmother's estate [ 3 Answers ]

When my father passed away, everything he had went to his wife (my stepmother). When she passes away, what are my rights, estate-wise, under CA law? Thank you.

Stepmother and Biological Dad's Will [ 3 Answers ]

My dad died recently and I know he had a will. I have heard that my step mother is not going to probate his will. And if she doesn't, I have no way of knowing what was in the will and if my name along with my two brother's names are mentioned and if dad left anything to us at all. My question...

View more questions Search