Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frankiedonnn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2013, 02:24 PM
    Drain waste vent
    When drains and soil pipes run to a well instead of county sewage plants would the venting system be any different.I mean, would the well vent the drains illiminating the need for vents? Would the well be considered the main stack and install the venting the usual way?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2013, 02:51 PM
    "When drains and soil pipes run to a well instead of county sewage plants would the venting system be any different.I mean, would the well vent the drains illiminating the need for vents? Would the well be considered the main stack and install the venting the usual way? ".

Not sure what you mean by "well" but I surely hope you mean something else-Septic system perhaps? If you mean septic, there is no difference in venting to city or septic. All plumbing in the house must be properly vented. Your local plumbing code should address this. Where are you located?
    frankiedonnn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2013, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    "When drains and soil pipes run to a well instead of county sewage plants would the venting system be any different.I mean, would the well vent the drains illiminating the need for vents? Would the well be considered the main stack and install the venting the usual way? ".

Not sure what you mean by "well" but I surely hope you mean something else-Septic system perhaps? If you mean septic, there is no difference in venting to city or septic. All plumbing in the house must be properly vented. Your local plumbing code should address this. Where are you located?
    I'm not in the U.S. nor Canada.Some parts of the world still use WELLS as you would a septic tank.I appreciate your response and I think you've answered my question.I thought it might be a silly question but some say no question is silly.
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2013, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiedonnn View Post
    I'm not in the U.S. nor Canada.Some parts of the world still use WELLS as you would a septic tank.I appreciate your response and I think you've answered my question.I thought it might be a silly question but some say no question is silly.
    Hope your water supply isn't too close! Have never seen anything like this in the US. That said, even if "dumped" in a well, you still need venting of a drain system. Improper draining can suck the traps dry-or do you not have these either?
    frankiedon53 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2013, 06:15 AM
    Hope your water supply isn't too close! Have never seen anything like this in the US. That said, even if "dumped" in a well, you still need venting of a drain system. Improper draining can suck the traps dry-or do you not have these either?
    I tried to answer twice already and something went wrong. Yes! We do have traps of course and vents too I just have to clarify things for myself if something knocks at my brain.Lets take a hyperthetical situation: If a 1 and a half inch stack-vented drain 5feet long is normally passed without a revent [according to plumbing books] is running to a septic tank or a WELL would it need a revent or could it be considered vented as if it were stack-vented?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 14, 2013, 08:49 AM
    Please clarify well. Are we talking about a cesspool or a dry well? Is it a closed tank or a open pit?
    Is there a drain field involved? Can you give us more details. Back to you Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 14, 2013, 12:56 PM
    Answer is: No. Vents are required at each plumbing fixture within the footprint of the house. Once sewer pips reach outside, it doesn't matter whether your sewer goes to the City Sewer system of to a "well" ( I assume the "well" you are talking about is a septic or cesspool system). It functions w/o additional vents. Hope that helps. Back to you. Milo

Jun 15, 2013, 04:49 AM
    The well is another word for a septic tank and it is closed,but has a man hole with a cover that can be removed if necessary.So,you're saying that all venting rules apply the same way as if the drainage was connected to a county's sewage plant.That is what I want to be confident about. Thank you for your response.

Jun 15, 2013, 04:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Please clarify well. Are we talking about a cesspool or a dry well? Is it a closed tank or a open pit?
    Is there a drain field involved? Can you give us more details. Back to you Tom
    It is a closed tank like a septic tank.
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2013, 03:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiedon53 View Post
    Do you get it pumped out periodically?

Jun 16, 2013, 08:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiedon53 View Post
    Yes, it is.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 16, 2013, 09:27 AM
    Yes Frankie, everyone here is saying that "all venting rules apply the same way as if the drainage was connected to a county's sewage plant".

Hope that finally finalizes this question for you... ;)

Mark

Jun 17, 2013, 04:25 AM
    Do you get it pumped out periodically?
    Yes,it is pumped periodically.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 17, 2013, 08:18 AM
    Is there a drain field involved? Let me know. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can I do about sewer gas smell coming from my drain waste vent? [ 2 Answers ]

There is a terrible raw sewage smell coming from the drain waste vent (DWV) on top of my roof. The sewage smell can be smelled from 4 houses away. Because the sewage smell was also coming from manhole covers, the city has been out twice to flush the main sewer line and also plugged the holes in two...

Drain Waste Vent tie in. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My home is already roughed in. When standing in the bathroom looking at the vanity wall (from the left to the right) I have a 2" PVC pipe sticking up 17 1/2" to the right of that is my 5" toilet pipe sticking up about 24 1/2", and further to right is the shower drain hole cut in the...

Drain-waste-vent plumbing (long) [ 3 Answers ]

A bit of background: My wife and I are about to purchase a home (closing date = April 23) that has some 'issues' (don't they all?). The former owner was in the middle of renovating most of the house... specifically, he was in the process of putting in a second bathroom. It looks like he put in...

Bath Drain Waste and Vent For Bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, here is my original project I was working on but while read plumbing books I came across something that made me address my other post about the sewer smell in the upstairs sink. Anyway, this is a master bath project on the first floor. Attached is a diagram based off what I was thinking...

Drain Waste Vent Outside Kitchen Smells [ 5 Answers ]

undefinedundefinedundefined :mad: Our house is 4 years old. We are on town water and sewer, no septic tank. There is a Drain Waste Vent on the outside wall of the house, directly behind the kitchen sink area. The end of the vent has a slotted cover. Approximately 1 month ago, I noticed that...

View more questions Search