Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 12, 2013, 10:19 PM
    License needed?
    Hi there.

As a hobby I do my own nails. I have been asked many times if someone could pay me to do their nails. This has made me think. I could make some extra money this way.

The issue lies here... I'm not a nail technician. I have no associated license for this. Is this something that I can charge for without a license? Just painting designs on people's nails? No fake nail application or anything.

If it matters at all, I'm in Oregon.

Thank you for all info.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 12:31 AM
    I am not sure if Oregon requires a certification for doing this. However, you will need a business license if they don't require certification.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 13, 2013, 01:44 AM
    My suggestion is to do some for the people you know, charging less than the norm, at your home. If there really does seem to be a market for your work, then look into opening a salon. The leap into real business is enormous. Even to operate out of your home requires permission from zoning, plus a town business permit, plus a state license. You need insurance, because even nails can get infected or people can blame you for problems unfairly. You need to pay taxes at a higher rate than wages (employers pay half of SS). And finally, you are in competition with full service hair and nail salons, and the 'many times' you have been asked could be the limit of your business. Stay under the radar for now!
    Vision Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 10:05 AM
    Um I'm just looking to make a few extra bucks. Not open a business. I'm just wondering if I have to be licensed to paint nails. I don't want to get fined or in trouble.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    Um I'm just looking to make a few extra bucks. Not open a business. I'm just wondering if I have to be licensed to paint nails. I don't want to get fined or in trouble.
    If you do it out of your home, chi, no one knows the difference. If you get asked questions, say it is your hobby with friends. People do portraiture out of there homes and don't call it a business. I do stained glass out if my home, and don't call it a business and have never been challenged about it.
    current pert

Jun 13, 2013, 11:03 AM
    Um indeed.
    What I was saying was that whether nail painting requires a license or not in Oregon isn't the point. A business is an all or nothing operation in any state in the US, requiring all the things I mentioned. That's why so many little home operations work under the radar to start (or forever, as tickle does with her stained glass, even though she is in Canada).

Yes, sometimes people do get turned in by neighbors or competing businesses. You might get a warning or a fine.

License Directory - Oregon Licenses, Permits and Registrations
    Look over on the right under Cosmetology.

My GUESS without doing detailed research is that just painting doesn't require a cosmetology license. Which is different, as said, from a business license, both state and local.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 02:06 PM
    Oh, and chi, nice to see you knocking around again even if its asking a question.

Tick
    Vision Expert

Jun 15, 2013, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Oh, and chi, nice to see you knocking around again even if its asking a question.

tick
    Thanks
    current pert

Jun 15, 2013, 12:02 PM
    Sorry I sounded kind of high-handed.
    peepoopoddy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2013, 03:01 PM
    no you don't have to have a license unless you do it in a legit shop
    Vision Expert

Dec 3, 2013, 06:28 PM
    I asked my friend who is licensed and yes you do indeed need to licensed to charge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Work in California required to have CA license. Live in AZ and told to get AZ license [ 2 Answers ]

I work in Needles Ca. as a driver. California says work there you need a CA license. I live in Arizona and they say I have to have Arizona License. But I will lose my job, so got Ca. License with my real AZ address and got a ticket for it in AZ. What do I do If I have a valid California drivers...

License needed to become section 8 landlord [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am a real estate agent in philadelphia Pa, I was wondering if anyone knows what type of license is needed to become a section 8 landlord

What documents are needed for a cleaning business license? [ 2 Answers ]

What documents are needed to get license for a cleaning business?

Vicroads license history check for my license [ 2 Answers ]

What is my hitory on my victorian drivers license from vicroads

Can I exchange a non-reinstated Ontario license to a Quebec license? [ 0 Answers ]

Hello: I attempted to exchange my ON Class G license to QC. While doing so at SAAQ, I find out my ON license has been suspended due a speeding ticket, in ON, from 7 months ago. I went to ON's office to pay my speeding ticket and was told I needed to wait 4 business days for the suspension to be...

View more questions Search