Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miranda87 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2013, 08:30 PM
    Does father need to consent to fiancé adopting my daughter?
    I'm in NY and though my daughters father and I were married when I got pregnant we were legally separated by the time she was born and divorced when she was just shy of 5 months old. She is now 17 months and my ex has never seen her, owes me almost $4000 in back child support and due to repeatedly failing drug tests and a history of mental illness and abuse towards me the courts limited his rights to supervised visitation with myself and one other family member present in a public area. I am now engaged to another man who plans to adopt my daughter as soon as were legally married. Does my ex, who last I knew was living in Ohio, have to consent to the adoption or can we just fill out the paperwork without him knowing?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 12, 2013, 08:39 PM
    He needs to consent and sign court documents.

Jun 12, 2013, 09:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    He needs to consent and sign court documents.
    Ugh thanks Im not worried about him consenting as much as I am him not finding every excuse in the book as to why he can't make the trip to sign the paper work. He's good at making one excuse after the other as to why he can't do things that require him to not be playing video games while drinking, snorting coke and/or smoking weed for more than about an hour at a time.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 13, 2013, 03:25 AM
    Why do you think he needs to make the trip? You need an attorney to process the adoption petition. The attorney will arrange to deliver the papers or have him go to a local attorney's office to sign them. There may need to be a phone appearance to the court. But no he doesn't have to travel. But yes, the court will require that you obtain his consent.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 04:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Why do you think he needs to make the trip? You need an attorney to process the adoption petition. The attorney will arrange to deliver the papers or have him go to a local attorney's office to sign them. There may need to be a phone appearance to the court. But no he doesn't have to travel. But yes, the court will require that you obtain his consent.
    Typically, all is required is that he be given notice of the adoption. He doesn't need to sign anything if he doesn't want to; in such case the adoption will be approved.

Jun 13, 2013, 04:39 AM
    That's not my experience. Courts want to make sure the parents agree to the adoption. Just a lack of protest is often not enough. Courts will still grant an adoption if it can be proven the parent is aware of the adoption and declines to respond, but they would prefer a positive reference rather than the absence of a response.
    Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 05:13 AM
    .... Courts ... would prefer a positive reference rather than the absence of a response.
    What the court wants and what it gets can be two different things.

If the judge is satisfied that he has been given notice, that is all the judge will be able to do. The court can't, and won't, try to haul him from Ohio to the New York courtroom to be sure.

Jun 13, 2013, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    What the court wants and what it gets can be two different things.

If the judge is satisfied that he has been given notice, that is all the judge will be able to do. The court can't, and won't, try to haul him from Ohio to the New York courtroom to be sure.
    I agree, but that doesn't mean the court can't hold up the proceedings to make sure he has been served. And as YOU said in another thread, with the current state of communications, there is no need for him to make a personal appearance.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2013, 01:55 PM
    Why would anyone play the "I got notice, no you didn't" game when a signature on a release can be readily obtained - if this is the case.

Why argue this at some point in the future when that door can be closed now?
    Expert

Jun 14, 2013, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Why would anyone play the "I got notice, no you didn't" game when a signature on a release can be readily obtained - if this is the case.

Why argue this at some point in the future when that door can be closed now?
    Agreed that consent, if readily obtained, would be the best way to go.

But earlier in the thread someone suggested that consent was necessary. That's not necessarily so.
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2013, 06:02 AM
    AK, my apologies - I see what you were referencing. I didn't see it before - or I did and it didn't register.

So - I'm actually supposed to read before I respond?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 15, 2013, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    AK, my apologies - I see what you were referencing. I didn't see it before - or I did and it didn't register.

So - I'm actually supposed to read before I respond?
    Nah your still new here and school is out for the summer. We suspend the rules for vacation remember ? ;)

Jun 15, 2013, 08:37 AM
    Let me clear that one up, my ex says he's fine with my fiancé adopting my daughter because my fiancé is way more willing and capable of being a good dad then my ex ever has or ever will be. The problem is that if he has to actually sign something saying he consents to the adoption the papers could be hand delivered to him personally and if I'm lucky he might read them and even sign them but will find any and all excuses as to why he can't get them to where they need to go to get back to the judge so he can see that my ex bothered to respond. If the judge will accept the fact that he was served papers and is just too selfish and lazy to respond then we'll be OK and if not my daughter will probably be in high school before my ex actually sends the papers back to give his consent.

Jun 15, 2013, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by miranda87 View Post
    Let me clear that one up, my ex says he's fine with my fiance adopting my daughter because my fiance is way more willing and capable of being a good dad then my ex ever has or ever will be. The problem is that if he has to actually sign something saying he consents to the adoption the papers could be hand delivered to him personally and if I'm lucky he might read them and even sign them but will find any and all excuses as to why he can't get them to where they need to go to get back to the judge so he can see that my ex bothered to respond. If the judge will accept the fact that he was served papers and is just too selfish and lazy to respond then we'll be ok and if not my daughter will probably be in high school before my ex actually sends the papers back to give his consent.
    He can delay things by not responding, but yes, the judge will probably have the discretion to accept his lack of response as assent. But there are ways to inspire him to sign. Pursue him hard for support. If he understands that his support obligation ends with the adoption, he should be willing to help the adoption go through.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jun 18, 2013, 12:47 AM
    Another question- Do NY laws allow that kind of adoption?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 18, 2013, 02:57 AM
    He really needs to sign the papers, again, if you were really pushing the child support, he may be more willing to sign.
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2013, 07:06 AM
    AK apparently did the research. I can only speak from experience. The road to adoption when there is proof of service but no signed waiver is long and difficult. I'm sure some adoptions are granted under these circumstances. I have personally never seen one.

I serve papers. I have served adoption papers personally, been called into Court when the consent has not been signed, sworn (in addition to my Affidavit) that the papers were legally served - and the adoption has not gone forward because there was no consent.

NY does not remove the "rights" of the father lightly. Perhaps the law as it is written and the law as it in interpreted are two different things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fiancé adopting my daughter [ 9 Answers ]

In Ohio how long do we have to be married? My fiancé and I have been together for five yrs. We started dating when my daughter was 6months old. Bio dad and I had only one time contact after conception and that was when I told him I was pregnant. I was young and I wanted nothing to do with him and...

Can I terminate my daughter's father's parental rights without his consent? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Florida, and I need to know if I can terminate my daughter's father's parental rights without his consent. We were never married, and he never signed her birth certificate anyway. He has not seen her in over a year, and has not given me any money for her since the beginning of...

Travelling With My Daughter But Cannot Get A Hold Of Her Father To Sign Consent Form. [ 14 Answers ]

I am in real need of an answer... as quickly as possible. I am planning to travel to Tacoma, Washington (USA) from Toronto, Ontario (CANADA) on August 19, 2008. I have a 3-year old daughter who will be coming along with me. The only problem is, I was told I need a consent form signed by her father...

View more questions Search