Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kjohnson6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2013, 10:13 AM
    Tennis
    Three kids play tennis at the same tennis courts. Mark plays every fourth day, David plays every seventh day and Brian plays every sixth day. All of them were at the tennis court on Wednesday July 18th. What day will be the next day when all three of them will be at the court together?
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2013, 10:33 AM
    I LOVE tennis and I like to be around smart people. For that reason I won't be helping you with your homework. Figure it out and you will feel proud of yourself.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 12, 2013, 10:36 AM
    Draw a picture -- squares for every day of the week, like a calendar page. Fill in with names, depending on who plays how often.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 05:51 AM
    Since this was posted in the mathematics forum let's use a mathematical technique to solve this rather then the "brute force" method suggested by WG. You are looking for a number which is the least common multiple of 4, 6 and 7, which will be the number of days after July 18 that they will all meet up again. Do you know how to determine that?
    Story Writer Posts: 108, Reputation: 13

Jun 13, 2013, 07:21 AM
    To find least common multiple, find LCM of 4,6 and 7 which is 84.

Now, add 84 to 18 July.

18 July +84 = 18 July + 13 (remaining) days (of July) + 31 days (of August) + 30 days (of September) + 10 days (of October) = 10 October.

It will happen on 10th October, when they will play together.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 07:25 AM
    StoryWriter - it is against policy of this board to do the OP's homework for him. You can provide hints, and hopefully help him reason through how to do the problem, but please refrain from giving answers outright
    Story Writer Posts: 108, Reputation: 13

Jun 13, 2013, 07:30 AM
    ebaines - Sure, but I have done it as the OP has not replied and so I thought, he must be waiting in the wings. Still, I will take care in future.

I ticked at HELPFUL to your post. Did not I do anything wrong (by clicking)?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2013, 07:25 AM
    Story Writer, don't feel too bad, I think I have knowingly helped homework, but believed they learned the concept? Which I think is important.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Indoor Tennis [ 1 Answers ]

What shoul be the height of roof of an indoor tennis court?

Tennis Anyone? [ 31 Answers ]

Take a break from posting. You must keep the ball up in the air. My highest score is 4:mad: http://tinyurl.com/a3pe8

Tennis [ 1 Answers ]

What are the official dimensinons of the tennis court

View more questions Search