Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stefanocts Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2013, 07:10 AM
    Can you transfer before the semester starts?
    I am going to Saint Marry's for college, however I want to transfer to a university in LA a soon as possible since my family is there. I was wondering how long do I have to wait before I transfer, like week. Day? Month? Or could I transfer before the semester actually starts.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 12, 2013, 07:14 AM
    Have you been accepted into another university? If so, did you find out how many classes won't transfer to your new school? It isn't that easy to "just transfer", especially in Los Angeles. P.S. Where is Saint Marry's?

Jun 12, 2013, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Have you been accepted into another university? If so, did you find out how many classes won't transfer to your new school? It isn't that easy to "just transfer", especially in Los Angeles. P.S. Where is Saint Marry's?
    Yes. Saint Marry's is in San Francisco. No if I move to LA I would have to do business administration instead of economics, that's why I want to move before the semester starts. Why isn't it easy to just move?
    Education Expert

Jun 12, 2013, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanocts View Post
    yes. Saint Marry's is in San Francisco. no if i move to LA i would have to do business administration instead of economics, that's why i want to move before the semester starts. why isn't it easy to just move?
    First of all, you should know how to spell the name of your college! Second, applications for new students have been accepted for the fall term already. You'll have to find a university you'd like to attend, then speak with someone regarding an interview for a transfer. Be prepared to bring a sealed copy of your transcripts with you. How long did you attend your current school, and what are your grades?

Jun 12, 2013, 07:33 AM
    First of all, you should know how to spell the name of your college! Second, applications for new students have been accepted for the fall term already. You'll have to find a university you'd like to attend, then speak with someone regarding an interview for a transfer. Be prepared to bring a sealed copy of your transcripts with you. How long did you attend your current school, and what are your grades?
    Do you mean my high school? In which case I have been in it since I was 4 years old. It's a private school. My grades are OK, all Bs and my SAT is 1900
    Education Expert

Jun 12, 2013, 07:43 AM
    do you mean my high school? in which case i have been in it since i was 4 years old. it's a private school. my grades are ok, all Bs and my SAT is 1900
    Have you applied for any universities in the L.A. area? Did you take the ACT? Most universities want that score in addition to your SAT. Your grades are going to be a problem unless you choose a private university.

Jun 12, 2013, 08:44 AM
    No I haven't applied to any universities there, that's why I want to transfer. No I haven't taken the ACT. What are they?
    Btw I know this isn't on this subject but do you teach IB by any chance?

Jun 12, 2013, 08:46 AM
    Have you applied for any universities in the L.A. area? Did you take the ACT? Most universities want that score in addition to your SAT. Your grades are going to be a problem unless you choose a private university.
    No I haven't applied to any universities there, that's why I want to transfer. No I haven't taken the ACT. What are they?
    Btw I know this isn't on this subject but do you teach IB by any chance?
    Education Expert

Jun 12, 2013, 11:21 AM
    no i haven't applied to any universities there, that's why i want to transfer. no i haven't taken the ACT. what are they?
    Btw i know this isn't on this subject but do you teach IB by any chance?
    I have taught IB, but not anymore. Your question asked about transferring universities. You actually need to attend a university before you transfer. So, now you need to apply for colleges. Start searching online ASAP. The freshman classes will be starting before you know it.
    Education Expert

Jun 12, 2013, 11:24 AM
    Here's information on the ACT. Registration | ACT Student

Jun 12, 2013, 01:24 PM
    I have taught IB, but not anymore. Your question asked about transferring universities. You actually need to attend a university before you transfer. So, now you need to apply for colleges. Start searching online ASAP. The freshman classes will be starting before you know it.
    Thank you so much for your help. I have been accepted to St Mary's as I have said. That is not the problem. The problem is I was to go to LA for college. I have looked for some, and I came out with CSULA, Northridge, and Occidental, and I have contacted them all through email, and only Occidental replayed saying I would have to wait until fall 2014 to transfer
    Education Expert

Jun 12, 2013, 01:36 PM
    thank you so much for your help. i have been accepted to St Mary's as i have said. that is not the problem. the problem is i was to go to LA for college. i have looked for some, and i came out with CSULA, Northridge, and Occidental, and i have contacted them all through email, and only Occidental replayed saying i would have to wait until fall 2014 to transfer
    Acceptance does not mean you have started college. Have you actually started college? If not, you will not be a transfer student. You will be an incoming student. Cal States are impacted by budget cuts. It will be tough to get in. Try private universities.

Jun 12, 2013, 02:07 PM
    Acceptance does not mean you have started college. have you actually started college? If not, you will not be a transfer student. you will be an incoming student. Cal States are impacted by budget cuts. It will be tough to get in. Try private universities.
    Ok. So I go to St Mary's, how long will I have to wait before I transfer? Also, do you think private universities will accept me now? Plus, as I have said Occidental is private and told me I can't go in September
    Education Expert

Jun 12, 2013, 02:14 PM
    There are plenty of private universities in the Los Angeles area. Some examples are here: Colleges & Universities in Los Angeles County

Hopefully, you can get into one, but if not, sometimes mid-year transfers happen. If not, you'll have to wait until the fall of 2014.

Jun 12, 2013, 03:01 PM
    There are plenty of private universities in the Los Angeles area. Some examples are here: Colleges & Universities in Los Angeles County

Hopefully, you can get into one, but if not, sometimes mid-year transfers happen. If not, you'll have to wait until the fall of 2014.
    So you are saying that there is a possibility I can still get in even though it's already the end of June? My parents what go go and talk to the universities and see them before they officially send me off, would and appointment with an admission officer help me get in?
    Education Expert

Jun 12, 2013, 05:17 PM
    so you are saying that there is a possibility i can still get in even though it's already the end of June? My parents what go go and talk to the universities and see them before they officially send me off, would and appointment with an admission officer help me get in?
    If you get on the phone and reach an admissions counselor, they will be able to help answer your questions. Don't rule out universities, such as National which has a Los Angeles campus. I'm not sure if they have your major, but you can check online.

Jun 13, 2013, 05:14 AM
    If you get on the phone and reach an admissions counselor, they will be able to help answer your questions. Don't rule out universities, such as National which has a Los Angeles campus. I'm not sure if they have your major, but you can check online.
    DO I have to call or can I just e mail them, but as I have said I tried e mailing Occidental and they said I can't. By the way I am an international student, that causes more problems right?
    Education Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 06:09 AM
    DO i have to call or can i just e mail them, but as i have said i tried e mailing Occidental and they said i can't. By the way i am an international student, that causes more problems right?
    I'd call. Speak to real people. They can answer your questions. Let us know if you get some news.

Jun 13, 2013, 07:57 AM
    I'd call. Speak to real people. They can answer your questions. Let us know if you get some news.
    I most certainly will, you have been of so much help
    Education Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 08:31 AM
    i most certainly will, you have been of so much help
    You're welcome!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC starts a cycle stops and loud noise starts from inside Air Handler. [ 1 Answers ]

The central a/c unit worked fine all day and in the evening started a new cycle stopped after about 30 seconds and started making a loud noise inside the air handler for around 90 seconds and tried to start a new cycle without success. I turned the unit off overnight and back on the following...

Last semester of nursing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in my final semester of RN school. I only have 4 clinicals left. My instructor has only just now decided to bring it to my attention that I need to improve or she is going to fail me! I get so nervous when she is in the room watching me that I make little stupid mistakes or forget how...

Central heater furnace starts and blower starts for 30 minutes and then fan shuts off [ 1 Answers ]

We start our central heater and the furnace kicks in and then the blower starts and the house warms up but when it reaches the desired temperature. When the temp. drops and you can hear the furnace start but the blower will never kick in. If we shut off the whole thing and wait about 1 hour, we...

AP Physics Semester Review [ 2 Answers ]

I'm totally and completely lost on most of these questions. It's a lot, but it would be a huge help even if anyone could answer even one of them. Hopefully there isn't a rule to posting multiple questions? Thank you so much! 3) Net torque produces ____ 9) A machine gun fires 55g bullets...

View more questions Search