Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashlynrain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2013, 02:49 PM
    My dad is dying of AIDS.
    I don't know how I'm supposed to cope with this or even how to deal with it. He moved 6 hours away because he wants to be alone.

I haven't seen him in almost a year and I just feel like everythings getting worse.
    I'm only 18 years old. I haven't had the best relationship with him, but I still love him more then anything. I just feel really alone, because I know its not very common but I need some good advise.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 11, 2013, 02:56 PM
    Sorry you are going through this but can you write him, or call? Can your mom help you be in touch with him?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 11, 2013, 03:16 PM
    I too am sorry to hear you are going through this. A neat card and a heartfelt letter would probably make his day. And don't stop with one mailing.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Jun 11, 2013, 03:44 PM
    I don't think you should take his wanting to be alone as not wanting to see you. I think because AIDS is so terrible in the late stages that he probably doesn't want you to see him in such a terrible condition. He might want you to remember him as he was not as he is.
    However, like other people suggested, perhaps he might still want to talk on the phone or write letters.
    Death and prolonged illness is really hard to deal with no matter what the disease, the important thing is to have no regrets in the end. So do what you have to do to feel better about the situation (if there is such a thing). Talk to him if you need to, or talk to your mom, or other family member, or close friend. They'll know what you're going through and probably be able to help comfort you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Young boy dying aids meets women who is a prostitute who helps him escape [ 1 Answers ]

A young boy escapes from hospital who has aids. He meets a women who is a prostitute and tags along., he wants her to take him to a lake his mom told him about where he later dies on a boat

My Dad is dying. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, about 4 weeks ago, I found out that my Dad has pacreatic cancer. He has recently ungone surgery to remove the tumor but whilst attempting this the surgeon made the decision the tumor was to large to remove. I have since learnt that even if the tumor was removed it would not have been a cure. We...

How to tell my husband his dad is dying? [ 8 Answers ]

My husband is currently stationed overseas and will be home in the next week or so. Unfortunately, his dad has stage 4 cancer and I will have to tell my husband (he doesn't know his dad is even sick) that his dad has only months to live. How do I do that? Thanks, Shannon

Ex Spouse Etiquette and my dad dying [ 2 Answers ]

The EX I recently lost my dad who had congestive heart failure. I was wondering what the etiquette is for an ex spouse for whom my dad did a lot. I don't care if he were to talk to me or anything, but he didn't even send a card of condolences to my mom. We were together for nearly 10 years and...

View more questions Search