Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Steelcurtain198 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2013, 09:58 AM
    My boss's hurtful question? What should I do?
    I am an employee of a major corporation. After making a mistake I was asked by my boss if I was "retarded"? I was then asked if I needed to "ride the short bus"? Being a member of a family that deals with mental illness on a daily basis, these questions were hurtful. I am not sure what to do now?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 11, 2013, 10:01 AM
    My one sister is mentally handicapped and I can't stand when someone just throws that word around like that.

On the other hand, I don't think there is much that you can do. Who could you complain to if this is your boss?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 11, 2013, 11:46 AM
    You need to meet with someone in HR and explain what happened. He needs to be held accountable for this insulting remark. Either that or you tell him yourself. He may respect you for it.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 11, 2013, 12:05 PM
    You do have choices, and they are going to depend partly on how much you are willing to risk. If you were in boot camp in the army, remarks like this are part of the routine. You are expected to take it to be tough, to take commands, to do what has to be done without question. The workplace has some of the same aspects. If he doesn't touch you or get personal (e.g. telling you that you ARE retarded because of this thing or that), then it's best to let it roll. If you want to confront him, do it in a disciplined way - tell him that you are working hard to not make mistakes and it helps if he doesn't demean you and your family. There is no need to go into details.
    Going over his head when it isn't more than just an outburst like this one is bound to get you let go first when there is a layoff. Or worse. They don't have to keep you employed there. Employees are expected to deal with problems like adults, and that means dealing directly with whoever you are having a problem with.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 11, 2013, 12:08 PM
    What was the "mistake" you made? I'm not excusing your boss, but did he consider it a mistake you should never have made?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I be prevented legally from socializing with my boss by the big boss? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been best friends with my boss for years and she then became the boss of our company which is under an umbrella of a bigger company. We and our families have been very close for many years and she has been my boss for 4 years. Recently she was told she is no longer allowed to socialize with...

Who can help me when old boss calls your new boss about my background [ 2 Answers ]

I quit my old job at Advance Auto Parts, went to go work for Napa Auto Parts. Found out my former GM Mike from Advance talking to my new GM Cas at Napa about my background, and later Mike telling Advance employees about my whole background, and the outside commercial accounts, so almost the whole...

My boss's emails - HR question [ 4 Answers ]

I work as an Executive Assistant and as part of my job I have to monitor my boss's emails, read and prioritize everything. Obviously anything that has the word "confidential" on the subject line, I do not read. Today I saw an email sent to him from another boss with my name in the subject line so...

What to do? Boss loves you boss hates yeah girl? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys So I'm going out with a chick I work with I know I know not the best :) But hey. Anyway I really like this one she seems to give me what I need. Now if the boss likes you but not her. What do you do? Not much right If she gets kicked do I go with her or stay at my job? This...

Boss firing employees after boss resigns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal in California for a CEO to fire employees AFTER the CEO has resigned? My understanding is that the CEO can no longer hire, fire or negotiate contracts after they have tendered their resignation.

View more questions Search