Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Keri Murphy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2013, 01:54 PM
    501c3 gifts for volunteers
    Hi there,

As a PTA, we put a line item in our budget for our Flag Day celebration to give flowers to the person hired to run it. We also give small gifts (under $5) to our new incoming board members and outgoing board members that donate countless hours. We are getting a lot of pushback from our new treasurer that we are not allowed to give anything to volunteers... Can you clarify please? If there is a rule to explain please state. Thank you!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 10, 2013, 04:04 PM
    Of course you may.
    What are the qualifications of your treasurer? Who does the books?
    The object of a not for profit is to spend as much as possible on the actual specific reason for the organization. If you were to be audited, the concern would be 'top heavy' admin expenses, but I assure you, $5 gifts for hard working volunteers is worth every penny many times over, and is allowed by the IRS.
    Countless 501c3's lavish far more on things like board dinners, etc.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 10, 2013, 05:20 PM
    As a PTA member, (teacher), I would expect the gifts to come from the staff at the school to thank the PTA. The PTA should not have to buy gifts when they have spent their time and energy on earning money for the school. Do you have a teacher liaison at the school?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wedding Gifts- Money vs gifts [ 2 Answers ]

Our grandson is getting married. The brides family is very wealthy while we are of meager income. Is it proper to give a modest gift of money or more proper to give a gift?

Volunteers in africa [ 4 Answers ]

Hello.I want to work in africa as a volunteer.im an english teacher.is there anyone here who has experiences? And where to go to in africa is another question mark in my mind

Can volunteers receive benefits [ 2 Answers ]

Can volunteers of a nonprofit receive health benefits, life insurance or pensions/retirement benefits?

View more questions Search