Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BrianL0075 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2013, 12:22 PM
    Changing your IP via Router MAC?
    I have a D Link router, and I'm with Rogers Cable. So it's cable to the modem, ethernet from rogers modem to router, ethernet from router to desktop computer.

So what I was able to do, countless times, is simply go to my router settings, MAC, change one letter/number, unplug/plug back in router, then right away power cycle rogers model, 60 seconds later internet is working and I have a new IP address.

Now all of a sudden that doesn't work, I do everything but I have the same IP.

Is there another way of tricking network into thinking I have different MAC so I get new IP?

I don't mean unplugging the model for 24h and hopping I get new IP..

Oh and rogers has dynamic IP, I just don't know why that worked for so many times and now suddenly it doesn't.
    farvaknowsbest Posts: 199, Reputation: 8

Jun 7, 2013, 12:29 PM
    On the router what MAC address were you changing? I'm not sure how that's even possible as MAC addresses are hard coded in to the hardware. You can spoof a MAC address, but you can't actually change it. Do you mean you changed the MAC address in the MAC filter on the router? You should be able to obtain a new IP address on your workstation by issuing an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew commands from a command prompt.

Jun 7, 2013, 01:05 PM
    Under router settings, wan, you can clone PC mac or change any number or letter there, before I would just change number, save, restart router and modem and I get new ip, but now I keep getting same one

Ip release and renew also gives me same ip

Any other way?

Jun 7, 2013, 01:12 PM
    Just curious, why do you need a new IP?

Jun 7, 2013, 01:16 PM
    Because of gaming online, there are two people playing the same game from my home, not at the same time, but if we both access the game from same IP after a day or two they block us saying one person has two accounts (not allowed) so usually I'd change IP before each one of us is playing the game

Jun 7, 2013, 01:30 PM
    Well you could always set a static IP on one of the machines that's outside your DHCP range, that way you would not get these conflicts anymore. Not sure why your router would assign the same IP to two machines. May want to check out your DHCP settings on the router, and see if there is something going on there.

Jun 7, 2013, 01:34 PM
    If I set static ip (how do I do that?) I'd that external ip or internal? Right now all computers connected via ethernet cable or wifi, have the same external ip

Jun 7, 2013, 01:35 PM
    When you say out of dhcp range you mean connected with wifi?

I don't know why before every time I change mac number on the router and restart both router and modem my desktop, connected via cable from router, would have different external ip but now it doesn't change

Jun 7, 2013, 01:55 PM
    On your router there should be local DHCP settings. It should have a range of IP addresses that DHCP will assign out. On the PC you can set a static IP, but it needs to be different than any of the IP addresses that are in the range specified by your router. Depending on what model of router you have and what firmware version it's using you should be able to see the DHCP range in the network settings section under DHCP server settings. There should be something in there that says DHCP IP Address range:. If it's at default settings it will probably be 100 to 199. So if your local subnet is 192.168.0.x /24 your DHCP range will be 192.168.0.100-199. So on your PC you would want to set a static IP that is below .100 or above .199. Hope that helps.

Jun 7, 2013, 02:09 PM
    Wait wait wait... Were talking about your external public IP here? That's all controlled by your ISP. You can see if they'll give a static IP, but that's all at the discrection of your ISP. Even if you do get a static IP I don't think it will fix the issue with the online game.

Jun 7, 2013, 02:14 PM
    Would that be external IP address though, when I set static IP for the PC connected to the router via ethernet cable?

Jun 7, 2013, 02:14 PM
    If you're needing a different IP from your ISP you'll just have to wait for you DHCP lease to expire. Even then it still may assign the same IP.

Jun 7, 2013, 02:15 PM
    Changing your external IP is not possible from your end. Unless I'm missing something here.

Jun 7, 2013, 02:22 PM
    That's the issue here..

For a very long time all I did was go to router settings, change one number in MAC address, restart router and then modem and I'd get a new EXTERNAL IP address, because network is forced to assign IP based on MAC, since model is connected to router it tricks the network into seeing new MAC so it assigns new IP

Jun 7, 2013, 02:43 PM
    I don't need static, I want it to change often, before I could change it whenever I wanted over router but now I cannot

Getting proxy would do that?

Jun 7, 2013, 02:48 PM
    Ok sorry about then. Misunderstood what you were trying to do. Using a proxy would work I assume, but if you're going to be online gaming it would probably go very slow.

Jun 7, 2013, 02:50 PM
    I just don't understand why for so long changing MAC in the router did work, every single time I'd get new IP, but now it doesn't work anymore. Not sure if it's something with the router settings (although I didn't do anything but it was unplugged for a day or so).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 7, 2013, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianL0075 View Post
    I just don't understand why for so long changing MAC in the router did work, every single time I'd get new IP, but now it doesn't work anymore. Not sure if it's something with the router settings (although I didn't do anything but it was unplugged for a day or so).
    I think I do. What probably has happened is your ISP had a very short lease on IP addresses from their DHCP server. So, when you fiddled with the router config, it probably caused the a disconnection to your ISP and released your lease on the IP. It had nothing to do with MAC addresses. Then your ISP changed their systems to give a longer lease, effectively giving a static IP to their clients. You would probably have to shut your cable modem off for several days to get it assigned a new IP.

You can talk to your ISP about this, but I seriously doubt if they can or will change it. They will probably tell you to get another account with a second modem.

Jun 7, 2013, 05:40 PM
    I think I know what the problem is, I didn't put my modem in bridge mode but it is acting as router
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 7, 2013, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianL0075 View Post
    I think I know what the problem is, I didn't put my modem in bridge mode but it is acting as router
    A cable modem is a type of router. It routes the signal from and to your internal network to the ISP's network. When your modem powers on, it connects to your ISP's network and obtains an IP from their DHCP server. The modem has a MAC address that identifies it to the ISP. The ISP then looks up the MAC and assigns an IP according to it's routing table. Previously, the routing table was set to give a new IP fairly randomly. Now its changed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to connect Mac Powerbook G3 to internet via my router [ 2 Answers ]

I have a BT Wireless Network 1250 router to which one PC is connected physically and another PC connects using a USB Netgear adaptor. I want to also connect a Powerbook G3 but am told it is too old a machine to take an airport card. I have tried plugging it in physically to the router but no...

How to print via router from Mac and PC - HP LaserJet 3055 [ 0 Answers ]

Hi - I've got my all in one printer connected via the USB directly into my wireless router. My mac saw the printer right away and no problem installing and using. My PC (which is a brand new PC - newest WIndows) is not going so well. I can't see the printer on the "network" which I think makes...

Is it possible to change from a wired router to a wireless router just by changing ro [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to change from a wired router to a wireless router just by changing routers and not changing plans

Changing wireless router Linksys WRT54GS to a wired router [ 8 Answers ]

How can I disable my wireless router to a wired router. The model is a Linksys WRT54GS.My two computers are now in one room and do not need to be wireless.I will be using a 50ft. Cable. Does it make any difference if the color of the cable is blue or yellow ?

Configure D-Link router with Mac [ 1 Answers ]

I have tried 192.168.0.1 but it does not take me to the site. What do I do?

View more questions Search