Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NOVA06 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 04:39 PM
    Fence Post Depth
    I want to build a wood fence using 4"x 4" posts & pressure treated 6'H x 8'L pre-fab panels (shadowbox style). I want the tops of the posts to be at or slightly above the tops of the fence panels. What is the practical minimum depth the posts need to be to support the panels?

Thanks
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Mar 23, 2007, 06:27 PM
    The depth of your posts might depend on the type of soil you intend to bury them in. As a general rule... with an 8' 4X4 if you bury it 2' you won't have to cut it. It is important to provide a concrete footing below the soil surface and make sure the corners of the hole (which should be at leat 12" wide) are square (not rounded) round holes can cause the footing to roll... square corners will provide flat sides that resist movement in four directions.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Mar 23, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Three feet deep, with concrete.
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Mar 24, 2007, 02:44 PM
    3' is the frost line in Cleveland oh u may have to go deeper to comply with local codes
    I dig the hole
    Take the post and beat down a half of a brick till its solid for a base
    One man hods the post plumb one guy fills the hole
    Set the post and start with a little water then dry cement and poke around with thin stick
    Keep doing this till full
    Your post will not need supports
    Get r done:)
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Mar 24, 2007, 03:27 PM
    Yeh It Is Actually Easy, It Is Just A lot Of Hard Work

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wood privacy fence with steel (metal) fence [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We are planning to put in a 6' wood privacy fence on the sides of our property. We would like to install a metal (steel posing as wrought iron) fence across the front at a later date. My understanding is the terminal metal fence posts would be directly beside but not attached to the terminal...

The fence [ 58 Answers ]

Should the United States build a fence along our southern border with Mexico?

Boundary fence [ 2 Answers ]

Some new neighbors have planted some hornbeam trees adjacent to our existing Brickwall. I am concerned that the roots can eventually damage the brickwall, the neighbors Maintain that the roots will move away from the foundations. Can anybody help?

Depth below slab surface of sewer rough? [ 1 Answers ]

Speedball or anyone who knows, We are trying to design and build a small pool house that will have a bathroom and some kitchen fixtures. Question I have: To figure out the slab elevation (height), what is the vertical depth below the slab surface that the sewer rough piping must be installed...

Copper pipe minimum depth in wall? [ 1 Answers ]

Howdy all, Is there a minimum depth that copper pipe must be installed within walls? In other words, minimum clearance between the pipe and the drywall? I know there is for electrical lines, so somebody hanging a picture doesn't drive the nail in and electrocute themselves. I have an...

View more questions Search