Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    louie1 Posts: 183, Reputation: 49

Mar 23, 2007, 04:17 PM
    Strength needed
    Hi all,
    Like many I am currently going through divorce.Sadly as a lot of people find this means that your support / friends disappear so really just looking for people that are going through the same in order to support each other
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Sadly, some of the friends disappear. I think it is because they honestly do not know what to say or do. When I separated, I found many of my married female friends just were no longer available. Perhaps it made them uncomfortable, to be in my company. Yet when I was married, they non stop yakked about every part of their life.

There is a very good support group, in many areas, called "Beginning Experiences" - it is for people going through a separation and divorce and post divorce. So you are going to find people who have been in your shoes.

There are some good resources out there for the person going through a divorce - check out the web. I found a book called, "A Well-Tended Soul" by Valerie Bell. There is a site on inner bonding: Inner Bonding: Relationship Advice, Relationship Help, Spiritual Growth, Parenting Advice

Also read through some of the posts on relationships. Check this out: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/search...archid=1179623

You are not alone and what you are going through - you will survive it and you will be stronger and wiser. It just does not seem like it in the beginning. Best of all to you.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Mar 27, 2007, 10:48 AM
    First, this is a journey and you aren't nearly where you will end up. I lost all my local friends in my divorce, and given that I live 400 miles away from my family and close friends from my single days, it has unquestionably been difficult.

I would recommend that you reach out to your friends as a last ditch effort before you write them off completely. They probably don't know what to say or how to help, so haven't been able to bring themselves to contact you. Just be honest and say, "hey, I know this is awkward for you but I'm only divorcing one person and it's not you. Let's get together". Keep in mind your friends may not be ready to be your sounding board, especially if they feel some friendship for your ex. So, let them off the hook - suggest a movie or a game of golf or cards instead of a gut-spilling, tear-filled cup of coffee. I found I needed a therapist I could talk to, but friends to go out and think about something else.

See if your church has a singles group - you would be surprised how many other divorce people are going through the same thing. Or get into a group of runners or walkers, or whatever. Misery does truly love company.

And if you have nobody to hang out with now, still do what you enjoy. Try some new things. When I got divorced I learned I had a talent for painting - I had never tried before. I got involved volunteering at church, and with my son's soccer league. It still was rough, but it gets better. A lot of people remarry and have a much better experience the second time around, and others find that their lives expand in positive ways they never imagined and they really become so attached to being single, much to their own surprise, they don't even want to remarry after a while.

Hang in there!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you measure the strength of a nonlinear relationship? [ 2 Answers ]

The correlation coefficient r measures the strength of a linear relationship between ordered pairs (xi,yi). Suppose you are testing the strength of a non-linear relationship. How would you modify the formula for the calculation of r? To save you time, here is one representation of the formula...

Help needed [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My name is Kadam and I am going to file taxes for 2005 soon. I was on OPT from July 2004 to July 2005. Then I applied for H-1B which got approved Dec 23rd 2005 but I joined employer only on Jan 1 2006. I did not work between July 2005 and Dec 2005. I have worked on OPT for just 3...

Strength training [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, can anyone help? I just got some free weights, and I need to come up with a workout regime that I can do at home. I don't have a bench, and everything I keep finding at the store includes excercises requiring a bench, so I have to leave out most of the workout, I am so frustrated! Can...

The Strength of Samson [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, Samson lost his power when his hair was cut, why? Take care, Hope12 :o

Help needed [ 1 Answers ]

I have decided to use a debt settlement to help with 13,000 debt. I need to know which company is the best for me. What questions do I ask? How do I know this company is going to produce what they say? Thank you in advance for your answers.

View more questions Search