Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ron2001 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2013, 08:17 PM
    Goodman gph1324m41 package unit with hkr 5kw heat. Two dedicated 30 amp circuits ?
    Does this Goodman gph1324m41 package rooftop installation require one dedicated 30 amp heat pump circuit with disconnect, and a second dedicated 30 amp circuit with its own disconnect for the HKR 5Kw heat coil. That is two separate circuits from the house panel . Seems like overkill, if the heat coil only uses the heat pump fan. The heat pump and heat coil will not be operating at the same time.
    Thanks, Ron
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2013, 07:19 PM
    The heat pump & coil can, & often do, run at the same time.

Jun 6, 2013, 11:20 PM
    Thank you for your reply. I live in the hot Arizona desert. Is your answer the same for this hot climate? Two licensed electricians report that they have installed many roof top heat pumps with heat strips here, and never run a second service. Could it be that it doesn't get cold enough here for the defrost cycle, if that is when both units would run simultaneously, or maybe different brands of heat pumps and coils are wired differently than the Goodman and HKR coil
    Thank you
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2013, 07:41 AM
    Two services of 30 amps each & one service of 60 amps pretty much amount to the same thing. I don't know if in the desert, with the low humidity, there would ever be a need for defrost or not but it is possible, on a cold night, the second stage heat of 5Kw might kick in.
    Anyone who doesn't pull a circuit heavy enough to carry to total potential load is not only in violation of NEC but putting your comfort at risk.

Jun 8, 2013, 09:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Grady White View Post
    Two services of 30 amps each & one service of 60 amps pretty much amount to the same thing. I don't know if in the desert, with the low humidity, there would ever be a need for defrost or not but it is possible, on a cold night, the second stage heat of 5Kw might kick in.
    Anyone who doesn't pull a circuit heavy enough to carry to total potential load is not only in violation of NEC but putting your comfort at risk.

Thank you for the info. Two separate 30 amp circuits with two disconnects will be installed..

Thank you, Ron

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman Heating & Air Unit heat won't stay on [ 3 Answers ]

Goodman heating and air conditioning unit heat won't stay on. New 4 months old Goodman A/GPG13 M Series W/R410A Gall heating and Cooling Unit. New Hunter Model 44905 Thermostat also used a new Honeywell RTHL2310/RTHL221 Series Thermostat. Unit will come on for 3-5 min then turn off. If I turn...

Replacing a package unit Goodman furnace [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 16 year old Goodman unit that is working again now after some freon replacement. It has had 3 new compressors and a new heat exchanger in the time I have owned the house (2002). Should I bite the bullet and buy a new one and if so it seems that this is not a very good longevity so maybe I...

Dedicated 30 amp circuits [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings. I'm not in the US and am having a house built. We use 230V mains. Can I use 30amp circuits with 15-20amp outlets (PS Audio Power Port) with my audio equipment? I would be plugging all audio equipment to the 30amp circuit with 15-20amp outlet via a Shunyata Hydra 4 conditioner? Is...

Goodman package unit blower won't turn off [ 0 Answers ]

Blower would not work on heat or ac. Discovered one of the 60amp breakers was not working. Replaced it. Heat and blower would then come on but even when the temp got to the thermostat set, the blower would not shut off. I replaced the thermostat and it would still not shut off. I believe the...

Have Goodman HKR-05 unit - stat does not work [ 2 Answers ]

Have a Goodman HKR-05 unit and the stat stopped working. I replace the stat with a new one that is similar but with no luck. I've been told the capacitor could be the problem. Where should I be focusing in on the capacitor, control board, etc. Thanks.

View more questions Search