Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jfmarkko Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2013, 07:05 PM
    My wires are not color coded
    I am trying to replace my refrigerator plug. When I stripped the wires back, I found two wires made of several strands of copper. There is no color coding. In the center is a strand covered in green. I know that green is for ground, but how do I know which to attach to silver and which to brass on the new plug?
    mcad Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Jun 4, 2013, 07:51 PM
    You would probably be better off buying a pre made pigtail and installing the whole new line. It may cost a few more dollars, but without electrical experience, it would be worth the cost. You should be able to look on the fridge and see where the pigtail lands on it. I have seen pre made pigtails that have ring terminals already attached to the fridge end. They should be fool proof.
    If you must use the wire that is there, then I would trace it back to where it lands on the fridge and use a multimeter to check continuity between the 2 ends of the wires. The neutral and ground may also be landed together at the fridge.
    But I would recommend the pigtail. Hope this is helpful.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2013, 07:53 PM
    Look at the wire. With zip cords, one wire is smooth, one is ridged. The ridged side is neutral and goes to the silver, smooth to brass.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are Plumbing Pipes Color Coded? [ 5 Answers ]

Are there different color pipes for shower, sink or toilet?

Matching color-coded wires on a light fixture [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am installing a light fixture (I;m in the U.S.) and the box has a black and a white wire plus the ground wire, but my (European?) light fixture has blue, brown, and yellow-green. Can someone advise me on which wire should connect to the white and which to the black? Thank you for helping.

Color coded wires [ 4 Answers ]

This is a two part question: 1. I have a 28 year old Carrier furnace model #31MM220120 and need to know which wire color matches with the newer motor colors. In the furnace there are wires such as orange, white, beige... How do I match up the old color coded wires with the new color coded wires? ...

Wiring not color coded [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. New to site think its great Recently purchased home, built in 1957. I am installing new fixtures in the home and noticed the wiring is not color coded. What I have is 2 black wires and a bare copper . What I'm trying to figure out what is the "white" and "black" . Any help will be...

View more questions Search