Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GAF Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2013, 02:41 PM
    Free Sewing Machine No. 5 - How to remove the actual sewing machine
    I am going to refinish a Free No. 5 sewing machine that is in incredibly bad shape. It will take 10s of hours but will be a gem when done.

Does anyone know how to physically remove the actual sewing machine so that I can easily dismantle everything else for refinishing.

Thank you.

Gary
    Pelusawoman Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Sep 14, 2013, 05:03 PM
    You say that you are going to refinish a sewing machine. Can I assume you really meant the wood cabinet? Since you are going to all this work, could I also assume that this machine (and the cabinet) is older; antique, or at least vintage?

A lot of assuming here, but if you tip the machine back on its hinges and pull up the piece of the cabinet (also on hinges) in front of it, you have a little bitty space to stick your head under the machine. You will see a set screw going to each hinge. Loosen those and the machine will lift off the hinges.

If I have assumed too much, or incorrectly, please provide more details.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2013, 05:17 PM
    I found a picture of what seems to be their sewing machine
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwCQ&dur=267

Sep 14, 2013, 05:26 PM
    Ignore this response.

Sep 14, 2013, 05:34 PM
    (Please ignore previous response, the server has apparently mixed up question/answer pairs.)

Thanks for the photo... that's a little different. First, take the drive band off the wheel down below, then tip the machine back. You should see the set screws as described above. If that doesn't work for you, post back and I'll try to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1920's sewing machine made by "The Domestic Sewing Machine Co.". [ 2 Answers ]

This machine appears to be complete (w/bobbin, bobbin case & a decent looking electrical cord). It is in a handsome & unusual sewing table. I am looking for a threading guide & sale value.

Free No. 5 Sewing Machine [ 2 Answers ]

I recently spent 8 months restoring a Free No. 5 sewing machine, complete cabinet and mechanical, that is fully operable. I wonder if there is a market for such a machine? Please advise

The free no. 5 sewing machine? [ 0 Answers ]

I have a "the free no.5" sewing machine. In full working order, but, electric. I have searched many web sites, found a lot of pictures, but, have not found any information about this machine. I would like to find more information, if anyone has any, Please?

AB466320 sewing machine is a vintage or antique singer sewing machine [ 0 Answers ]

how could we identify an antique or vintage sewing machine?

View more questions Search