Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2013, 05:26 PM
    Crankshaft Position Sensors and Oil Leaks
    On some cars, such as my 2000 Taurus with the Duratec Engine, the crankshaft position sensor goes into the timing chain cover horizontally, right next to the main seal--the oil is hot and the pressure is high. In trying to locate the source of an oil leak, I discovered this sensor was the culprit. It was hidden by a heavy-duty cover, which required removing the right front wheel, fender liner, and rotating the alternator for acccess.

The problem with the sensor was that the O-ring's I.D. was too large, which allowed the O-ring to rotate easily on the sensor. When I measured everything, using a Vernier Caliper, the O-ring's I.D. was .004-inch larger than the diameter of the grooved shaft. This caused the oil leak. This has been a long-standing problem with this car. I replaced the original Motorcraft sensor 2 years ago with one manufactured by BWD. Both of these sensors suffered from the same manufacturing defect. The AutoZone DuraLast sensor that I bought today, made by Wells Electronics, got it right.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2013, 06:03 PM
    I'll be installing it tomorrow and I will let you know if this solved the problem.
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2013, 04:50 PM
    After 300 miles of highway driving since I replaced the CKP Sensor, the problem is gone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crankshaft & Cam Sensors [ 1 Answers ]

Is it necessary to oil the o-rings on both these sensors before replacing them and if so, how do I that? Thanks

2001 altima crankshaft position sensor [ 1 Answers ]

2001 altima 4cyl engine.cranks OK,no fuel pressure,no injector pulse. Does not have security system.

Crankshaft Position Sensor, Mechanic question [ 1 Answers ]

My check engine light came on in my 1998 Aucra EL 1.6, I did an OBD scan and I got codes P1336 P1337. I've gathered that this is my Crankshaft Position Sensor, if I replace this, can I do a Crankshaft Position system variation learning procedure myself? Or does it even need to be done?

Jeep Crankshaft Position Sensor [ 2 Answers ]

What is the operating voltage for Crankshaft Position Sensor on a 1994 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl AUTO? Is it the same for different year model, such as 1997 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl MANUAL? I am doing a tranny swap and hence the question.

Changing crankshaft position sensor on 02 frontier 3.3 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2002 Nissan Frontier with a V6 3.3 litre manual 5 spd. Transmission. The scanner show the code for a faulty sensor. How do I change the sensor?

View more questions Search