Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TBoneOutlaw Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2013, 01:47 PM
    Camper A/C
    Hello all,
    I am trying to get the a/c on my camper working. It was working when I initially tried it a few months ago but the first time I used it for longer than an hour it stopped working. The unit turns on and you can hear the A/C kick on but the fan will not turn, I can give it a spin to get it going but it only goes 1 revolution and stops again. If I turn the unit off the fan spins freely, once on again it will only make 1 revolution at a time if I spin it by hand. I pulled the capacitor and was going to replace but it was tested by 2 different people and it checks good. Any ideas on what I should do next as far as troubleshooting?
    Thanks in advance!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 3, 2013, 04:50 PM
    If the capacitor checks good, then the motor is bad. Time for a new motor. However, depending on who checked the cap, I would simply replace the cap first (they are cheap) and see if it doesn't cure the problem. If it doesn't, you will need a new motor.
    TBoneOutlaw Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2013, 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    If the capacitor checks good, then the motor is bad. Time for a new motor. However, depending on who checked the cap, I would simply replace the cap first (they are cheap) and see if it doesnt cure the problem. If it doesnt, you will need a new motor.
    Thanks for the reply mygirlsdad77, I asked one of our electrical techs here at work to check the cap, the voltage on the actual cap states "1.75 ±6%" and it checked 1.74.
    Do you still think it is worth a shot to try a new one or just go for the new motor? The cap is dated back to 1999.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 4, 2013, 07:07 PM
    To be truthful, I have never seen a 1.75mfd cap. Of course I work mostly on residential hvac units. If the rating is 1.75 and the reading is 1.74, then I would say the cap is just fine. Most likely time for a new motor and cap to match. Any time you replace a motor it is good "cheap" insurance to replace the cap at the same time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Camper exhaust [ 5 Answers ]

I have a camper that the furnace exhaust comes out of the trailer on the side we have a screen room. It is impossible to sit there when the furnace is on due to the exhaust. My question is can I pipe from the exhaust hole approx 1 1/2" diameter to a 4" exhaust pipe and use an 90 degree elbow at...

Camper [ 1 Answers ]

Can I convert my propane refrig in my camper to electric?

Camper shells [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find a camper shell or topper for my truck. What is the right way to measure the bed?

View more questions Search