Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Loraine Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2003, 07:25 PM
    Beastfeeding and alcohol
    I was wondering... I have a 7 month old who I am breastfeeding. I haven't had any alcohol of any kind (not that I ever drank much anyway) and my sisters want to take me out this weekend. I was wondering, now that he sleeps through the night am I able to go out and have like 4 drinks with them if I don't have to feed him for 9-10 hours later? Is it safe?
    plaidoe Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2003, 04:25 PM
    beastfeeding and alcohol
    :)

I just ran across your post today. Obviously you have already gone out... probably more than once. I hope that you did receive the information you were in need of. I am posting in return more for those who are wondering the same thing as you.

I am not a doctor, but I have read a bit on this and discussed this with my ob/gyn (I have 3 kids). It is not a matter of when you breast feed in comparison to when you are drinking. For example: If you go out to drink, the alcohol enters your blood stream and eventually into your breast milk. I am not sure how much of it makes in into your milk, but, of course, the more you drink, the more enters the milk.

Then the milk just sits and is stored until the baby feeds. At which time the milk (containing the alcohol) is expelled. In other words it doesn't just dissipate as time passes. It is stored until fed to the baby.

I hope that answers your question. If you need anything or would like to talk about it, let me know.

Hollie
    [email protected]
    Twinhearts Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2003, 09:15 AM
    beastfeeding and alcohol
    I know this is late also, but I just came across it.

It's okay to drink in moderation if you express your breast milk about 2 to 3 hours afterward and toss it out.
    This way, the alcohol is expelled from your body before you feed your child.

Twinhearts
    rrt69 Posts: 89, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2004, 05:07 PM
    beastfeeding and alcohol
    Alcohol doesn't mix with kids at all.
    Stephanie Morrison Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2005, 11:48 AM
    Going out for New Years
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinhearts
    I know this is late also, but I just came across it.

It's okay to drink in moderation if you express your breast milk about 2 to 3 hours afterward and toss it out.
    This way, the alcohol is expelled from your body before you feed your child.

Twinhearts
    Do I only have to express once ? I am having the same issue and want to be sure. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breastfeeding and alcohol [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering... I have a 7 month old who I am breastfeeding. I haven't had any alcohol of any kind (not that I ever drank much anyway) and my sisters want to take me out this weekend. I was wondering, now that he sleeps through the night am I able to go out and have like 4 drinks with them if...

Drug and alcohol recovery [ 2 Answers ]

My spouse is in a recovery program and he is doing well. This isn't his first attempt at this, however he is very determined. I'm afraid that when he gets home there might be a lot of stress and something I do or say may trigger him. I'm in recovery right now and it is so much easier for me than...

Breastfeeding and alcohol [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering... I have a 7 month old who I am breastfeeding. I haven't had any alcohol of any kind (not that I ever drank much anyway) and my sisters want to take me out this weekend. I was wondering, now that he sleeps through the night am I able to go out and have like 4 drinks with them if...

Breastfeeding and alcohol [ 2 Answers ]

View more questions Search