Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iah4031 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2013, 06:51 AM
    Work-for-Rent in Salt Lake City, UT
    I recently moved into a home under a work-for-rent agreement. I would do housework and watch the kids as a part of the arrangement.

I have lived here for almost (or barely) two weeks. I paid a $200 deposit when I moved in. Now the kids will be spending the summer with their dad out-of-state and suddenly she tells me that this is not a god fit and clearly there are some things that aren't working. Prior to me moving in she told me that I was required to give 30 days notice prior to quitting/leaving.

What are my rights?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2013, 06:56 AM
    Your written contract (it is in writing - ?) addresses the notice you have to give before you leave. What does it say about your employers' responsibility if you are terminated.

If you have done no damage the security deposit should be returned to you.

If someone is not satisfied with your work or lies and says they are not they cannot be forced to keep you in their employ.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 3, 2013, 06:58 AM
    The question here is whether you are a tenant with additional duties or an employee with living space.

It sounds like you are a tenant, in which case you have the same rights as any tenant.

Jun 3, 2013, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    The question here is whether you are a tenant with additional duties or an employee with living space.

It sounds like you are a tenant, in which case you have the same rights as any tenant.
    We worked out the arrangements via email. She stated that she wanted 30 days notice and I responded to the email stating that I expected the same.

The way she laid it out in her email was that I would earn X number of dollars per hour and that total would pay for my rent. I hope that I am considered a tenant but it could be argued that I am an employee with a living space - I'm not sure how to distinguish.

Jun 3, 2013, 07:08 AM
    The landlord is not unhappy with my work. She left a couple of voicemails raving about what a great job I did with the kids. She told me I did a wonderful job cleaning.

The issues seem to be more personal and as I stated her needs have changed - how much notice does she have to give me? It seems unfair that I have to give 30 days but her none. We worked out the arrangements via email (see my response to the second answer). Basically I replied to her email stating that I expected the same 30 day notice if she decides to terminate the agreement. She did not reply to that email but we discussed things over the phone the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Your written contract (it is in writing - ?) addresses the notice you have to give before you leave. What does it say about your employers' responsibility if you are terminated.

If you have done no damage the security deposit should be returned to you.

If someone is not satisfied with your work or lies and says they are not they cannot be forced to keep you in their employ.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 3, 2013, 07:31 AM
    Without seeing the e-mails its really hard to tell. It does appear you were working to pay rent, rather than having living quarters as part of the job. And that makes you a tenant. Plus paying a deposit reinforces that.

So take that position. Tell her that you are a tenant and that you require 30 days written notice before you have to vacate.

She can turn around and require that you pay full rental for that time since you are no longer "working" for her.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 3, 2013, 07:47 AM
    I will agree, once you no longer work, they may ask for money that is equal to the value of the rental. But should have to give you the 30 day notice. Your error is not getting this in a written agreement that everyone signed.

Even so, she will still have to take you to housing court to evict you, if you will not move,
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2013, 08:19 AM
    I think yes, you are a tenant -

She will be forced to evict you. That process will take time, and you can find other housing.

You can also go to Small Claims Court and try to enforce the "you need to pay me for 30 days" agreement - if the Court believes there was such an agreement. If you have emails, yes, you had a written agreement IF she responded in agreement.

I am an investigator. I am often handed self serving emails which basically say, "I am going to do this and you are going to do that." The other party doesn't respond or says "no" or something else - and the first party still thinks there's an agreement because party #1 "said it."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent increase on rent control in Jersey City, NJ [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know the what the percentage of rental increase is for a rent control building in Jersey City? Also, can the landlord ask for additional deposit for the rental unit? Thanks... Jay

What is the elevation of Salt Lake City, UT? [ 2 Answers ]

Elevation information

I work in one city that witdraws taxes, and I'm being hounded by a city for taxes wh [ 2 Answers ]

Hamilton County, Ohio, is withdrawing taxes, where I work. I live in another county. A city I lived in 3 years ago is hounding me for current taxes and demands I have some kind of proof that I moved! My current salary is about $14,000. Can't afford an attorney to help. Who am I suppose to pay?...

Rent Increase in Jersey City/NJ [ 1 Answers ]

What is the percentage of the rent increase in Jersey City? I live in a two apartment house on the first floor. Thanks.

View more questions Search