Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peaceflrn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2013, 05:16 PM
    Fired rn after 1 mistake in 15yrs and I have a EEOC discrimination pending/fired
    I worked 15years w/ hospital and had filed an EEOC complaint because I had been treated differently after revealing to my manager that I needed a certain day off each week for a ADA covered illness. I only worked 4 days per week. I unfortunately made a patient related care mistake with a tpiece. Pt developed pneumothorax and did well after chest tube placed .eventually discharged from hospital. Hospital lied to family and said it was equipment failure when in fact it was an incorrect t-piece. I was fired unexpectantly w/statement of TREND OF MISTAKES
    And t-piece. The trend are the EEOC Issue. I am unable to find a job in nursing since 02/14/13
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 2, 2013, 05:59 PM
    Do you have a lawyer yet? If your case was already filed with the eeoc and then you got fired you might be able to sue for your job back and lost wages.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 2, 2013, 06:17 PM
    Have you been accepted as having an EEOC case or have you just started? You can't just say you have an ADA covered illness and need time off each week. You have to have been hired with the illness known to your employer.
    If you feel that you have a case because of the wording 'trend of mistakes,' that is another matter. But if the hospital doesn't have a policy guideline for firing, they can fire you for whatever they want, and until the EEOC has decided that you have a case with them, that won't be a basis either.
    I agree that you need to hire a lawyer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 3, 2013, 03:36 AM
    Most illness are not ADA covered, and just being sick and needing time off is not protected or covered under ADA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you be fired for having chron's disease? I am afraid I am going to be fired, [ 4 Answers ]

I have worked for a company for 18 years. I was diagnosed with Chron's Disease 5 years ago and sometimes I get really sick and have to be hospitilized and now they think I should be fired and it really gets me. Is that lawful?? :mad:

EEOC & Racial Discrimination [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a claim filed in Phoenix against AAA of Arizona. This is the auto service club that changes tires, tows, etc. I am going to a mediation meeting and am trying to get more information to take in with me. I need to find out about similar cases and the settlement amounts given. I am...

Not fired, then fired, after boss was beat [ 6 Answers ]

I was called in the office and confronted about time differences on the time sheet. I had to wait for a customer to get home that morning, (30 min.). I called the office and informed them. So I added 15 extra minutes to my time. I was told that I couldn't do that. I asked was I being fired for it...

View more questions Search