Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    southerngirl4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2013, 05:07 AM
    Negligent Hiring Practices
    Hello,

I worked for a company from 2/2010 to 4/2011 recruiting truck drivers. They did not perform background checks on employees or on the truck drivers we hired. It has recently came to light that my ex-supervisor at this job had an attempted murder charge on her record from 15 years ago & just last week murdered her current husband. Isn't it considered negligent hiring practice if you hire a person who has a history of violent or criminal acts and did not do a background check to find this information out? I would have liked to have known I was working under a convicted felon during this time and feel like the company was obligated to know this information by performing a background check.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 2, 2013, 05:22 AM
    Sorry, there are no laws that require employers to do background checks.

Employers are even encouraged to hire rehabilitated felons.

So no, its not negligent at all
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 2, 2013, 06:03 AM
    Even if an employer does know about a criminal conviction, they are under no obligation to tell anyone.
    If she had attacked or hurt you on the job, you would have a case against your employer whether she had a criminal past or not.
    We live in an imperfect world. Anyone next to you anywhere could be a felon, a criminal who was not caught, or someone about to commit a crime.
    Currently the US puts sexual offenders on public databases on the grounds that they cannot be rehabilitated. (Of course, young people who are not rapist repeat offenders end up on these lists too; they had sex with a minor.) That does not extend to anything else, nor should it.
    Criminal convictions are public record, however, so it's possible to do one's own research at the local level.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Was the bar negligent? [ 10 Answers ]

My husband and I had a drink (1) at our home before going out downtown Saturday night. Keep in mind this is a college town where a lot of kids are getting wasted. We go to the bar and the line is long so we step into the bar next door to warm up and have one drink, which we split, and a water....

Fire - no renter's insurance - negligent landlord [ 4 Answers ]

We suffered an apartment fire and lost almost everything we own. Among those lost items were antiques, electronics, all of our wedding gifts taken out of the boxes a few days before, homemade quilts, paintings, etc. The owners were using acetone to dissolve varnish on a badly refinished wood floor...

Is my negligent doctor liable? [ 13 Answers ]

I was put on an antibiotic for pneumonia by my doctor. A week later when it didn't seem like the pneumonia was going away even though I felt better he prescribed me another antibiotic and told me to take this in addition to the one I was already on. When I went to the pharmacist to get the new...

Negligent Nurse [ 2 Answers ]

I recently called my physician's office and asked that my prescriptions be renewed. My phsycian's nurse called my pharmacy and renewed my medications for three months. My pharmacy emailed me and I picked up a month's supply of my medications. Two days after I had picked up my meds I was in the...

Help with negligent dad. [ 5 Answers ]

I have three daughters, 11, 13 and 14. Their dad and I have been separated since 1999 and divorced since 2004. He seemed to be taking care of the girls on the short visits that they spend with him; two nights a week for dinner and every other weekend. However, certain events have recently been...

View more questions Search