Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DeepMysteries Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2013, 07:06 AM
    Seems the no-see-um bite is pretty sharp.
    No, as I lack insurance and my general experience with medical investigations are that they are incredibly inefficient if not totally dismissive of things like this.
    Either the diptera involved is a no-see-um relative or the possibility of the "sting" sensation is actually coming from the ejection of foreign matter from under the skin instead of from a sting from the outside. This would seem more plausible given the black specks emerging from the skin and only rare indications of bites on the skin.

Jun 4, 2013, 07:10 AM
    Also allergies probably could be ruled out as I have no itching and the "stings" take place at really random times and locations on my body-- fortunately not very many per day.
    Neuropathy is such a long-shot that I can't afford to spend money on it right now. More of a longshot than no-see-ums.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 4, 2013, 12:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepMysteries View Post
    Also allergies probably could be ruled out as I have no itching and the "stings" take place at really random times and locations on my body-- fortunately not very many per day.
    Neuropathy is such a long-shot that I can't afford to spend money on it right now. More of a longshot than no-see-ums.
    Are they always on exposed skin? That would support your thesis.

Jun 11, 2013, 10:09 AM
    Have not heard back from the Insect Curator yet. Meanwhile, back at the ranch... last night a sharp sting into the heel of my foot through a white cotton sock with at least three TBS of mentholated powder in it. This is what the stinger looked like from the outside of the sock. And a smaller one nearby on the same sock. The visible part of the larger one actually measures 2.5mm.

I also found a small black bug crawling on the inside of my pant leg but *#@*!! It got away!
    Attached Images

Pest Control Expert

Jun 11, 2013, 12:07 PM
    Both of those are reminiscent of Deerfly parts. The larger looks like the insertion of a wing while the smaller reminds me of a proboscis
    Attached Images

ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2013, 12:28 PM
    Hardly "Invisible".

Jun 11, 2013, 12:33 PM
    Does have the patterning, but so much smaller! The large one is only 2.5 mm.

Jun 11, 2013, 12:34 PM
    The point is surely I would see deer flies. (Invisible was the heading on this site before I joined)

Jun 11, 2013, 02:45 PM
    Soooo.. I see that this forum thread has been accessed more than 400 times --wondering why no one else has any feedback?
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 11, 2013, 02:56 PM
    The point is surely I would see deer flies. (Invisible was the heading on this site before I joined)
    If you had stepped down on it as it bit, pieces may have broken off. Note I said the photos resembled parts.

I do believe you have multiple issues in that house. Occam's razor is a logic tool, not an environmental one.

The "scum" you have shown from the water bowl looks a lot like fungal spores. Nothing in my experience hatches that many eggs overnight.

The pyramid shaped protuberances look like blood clots, also known as scabs, over bites.

You mentioned the University of Texas. Austin is aswarm with thousands of bug species in the summer time, as evidenced by all the photos you've posted of different insects.

You mentioned your house is old and has had a rat infestation. Numerous types of mites absolutely love rats' nests.

My best advice is to deal first with the rats, then their nests or burrows.

Then look at mildew and fungi.

Once you have done everything you can to rid yourself and your house of environmental problems, look at medical issues like nutrition and allergies.
    Locrian_44 Posts: 44, Reputation: 14

Jun 11, 2013, 08:56 PM
    A few answers...
    There are flying, biting bugs, but none are invisible. No-see-ums do exist, but that is just a common name that refers to their tiny size. You can see um. They are not invisible. When they bite, you know it. Besides being seeing them when they bite, their bite leaves and itchy welt.

(sorry, accidentally posted too soon, see the complete response below.)
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2013, 09:17 PM
    First post was by you "invisible flying biting bugs " and now we are into macro flying bugs. Hmmm what is the real issue here?

Jun 11, 2013, 09:23 PM
    A few answers... (Click on the links for more information.)

*** There are flying, biting bugs, but none are invisible. No-see-ums are small biting flies in the genus Culicoides, family Ceratopogonidae. but "no-see-um" is just the common name that refers to Culicoides' tiny size. You can see um. It's just that they are very small, but they are not invisible. Besides seeing them when they bite, their bite leaves an itchy welt.

*** Culicoides sp. might upset your stomach is you ate a bunch of them, but they can not infest your intestine in the parasitic sense.

*** Culicoides sp. are common insects that require wetlands to complete their larval development. It is very difficult to control Culicoides, as marshes and rivers are sensitive habitats, that are not easily messed with. Biting-midge management is usually by exclusion and repellent use. Small-mesh screens are req'd to keep out no-see-ums.

Jun 11, 2013, 09:33 PM
    This is probably a fungus gnat, but I can't be sure without a specimen to examine more closely. Fungus gnats are not parasitic and don't bite people. Family: Mycetophilidae, order: Diptera, class: Insecta, phylum: Arthropoda
    Attached Images

Jun 11, 2013, 09:44 PM
    There are similar insects from other families, but this looks like a leafhopper. Leafhoppers feed on plants, not people. Family Cicadellidae, order Hemiptera, class Insecta.

(Again, hard to be sure without a specimen to examine.)
    Attached Images

Jun 11, 2013, 09:51 PM
    These are not insects.
    Attached Images

Jun 11, 2013, 09:55 PM
    There is no way anyone can say what that is, from the picture, but it certainly is not fly larvae.
    Attached Images

Jun 11, 2013, 09:59 PM
    That might be an insect, but picture quality is too poor say for sure.
    Attached Images

Jun 11, 2013, 10:02 PM
    Those are boogers.
    Attached Images

Jun 11, 2013, 10:06 PM
    Dude, that is your freakin buttwipe! Myiasis and fly parasites of human intestines are extremely rare.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Invisible flying, biting, and itching bugs into everything in my home. What is this? [ 4 Answers ]

I have the same problem. Even more frustrating is catsmine monitoring your thread when they obviously don't believe you. I recommend that catsmine go to Woodland Hills CA to Larkwood st. and sit down on the curb for two minutes. Then, they will have this problem too and can spend as much time...

Tiny almost invisible flying bug biting me non-stop [ 30 Answers ]

I bought a house last June and ever since I've been attacked by a tiny flying bug that I can only see in water and then it just looks like dust or dandruff. At first I thought they were the "no see ums" because they feel just like them. The bite is awful and painful but I don't have any bumps...

Invisible flying, biting, and itching bugs into everything in my home. What is this? [ 42 Answers ]

I need your help in reference to an invisible flying parasite of some kind in my home that is literally killing me by the minute. This invisible parasite is biting and itching me everywhere on the body but it doesn't leave any rashes, bumps, sores, or anything on the skin. However, they do attack...

How to erdicate invisible biting flying insects [ 2 Answers ]

I Don't know the answer?

View more questions Search