Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DeepMysteries Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2013, 02:37 PM
    OK so I am writing to you and suddenly I get a typical sting on my finger. The bites people have been complaining about that hurt!

Here is what I saw on my finger. Actually two-- one large and one small This is the bad time of day-- late afternoon through the night.

Perhaps you can see that this little arrowhead is stuck straight up in my finger (as is the little one) like an army has been attacking. What you also can see are the tell-tale white flakes that accompany them-- everyone mentions them--they are like dust or powder and are dense-- I had no idea how much of this stuff there was until I held my hand-held up to my dark shirt! OMG-- where the naked eye saw maybe 3 or 4, the micro picked up a light snowfall of smaller ones--so small that they were in the holes between the commercial knit fibers of the t-shirt.

So, what is shooting these slings and arrows and what is the flurry of white stuff that is everywhere? Somehow doesn't seem consistent with the diptera diagnosis, but there is so little that I know about these.

Do you know an entomologist who might join this discussion? Wouldn't it be great if we could actually figure out what these invisible flying stinging bugs are exactly that are tormenting people?
    Attached Images

Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 1, 2013, 05:01 PM
    To be honest that looks like a blood clot from a puncture wound.

Jun 1, 2013, 05:16 PM
    May look like that, but I assure you it isn't. This is just a quick catch of the kind of object that is creating the stings that is happening on a regular basis. This photo on my finger was a lucky catch before it had been wiped off. Either the insect is extruding faeces through the skin from the inside or something is stinging from the outside. Most people describe these black specks as pepper-like. Because of the microscope I can see the specks with greater detail and they are often a bit rough shaped, but also many are roughly triangular with a sharp point. Do you see the small one behind it sticking straight out of my finger?

Jun 1, 2013, 05:19 PM
    Look back at the series of photos of three objects extruded from skin.
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 2, 2013, 01:53 AM
    Perhaps you might wish to try showing these to a medical professional, as they don't look like living organisms. A Dermatologist or an Allergist might be more familiar with inanimate skin irritants.

Jun 2, 2013, 08:42 AM
    Here are a few more pics of this diptera-drawn to a warm bowl of water overnight.
    Also told by an entomologist from looking at previous pictures:

"I looked at the photos and visited the forum link. What I can say is that "wingedcritter2" is certainly Order Diptera (flies). I can't identify it from the photo because there is not enough detail. The venation in the wing of the fly is not from the family Phoridae and hence it is not Megaselia scalaris as someone suggested in the forum. It is certainly not a bot fly as another person in the forum suggested.

"Wingedcritterwithmm" is of a Hemipteran (true bug) and was classified as Homoptera in the past. Basically it looks in general shape like a leafhopper or treehopper or close relative. This group of insects feeds on plants and never on people. "
    Attached Images

Jun 2, 2013, 08:49 AM
    I am getting ready to pack them up for a trip to the entomology Department at UT. Perseverance furthers says the I-Ching.

The good news as I see it this morning is that no birdmites or collembola have yet to show up in the overnight water dishes. It is possible that I have too much diatomaceous earth on the floor for such things to get to the pool so I will try tonight in a less well treated area. I would really love to eliminate those options if I could.

Jun 2, 2013, 09:52 AM
    While they are not living organisms they must relate to living organisms, feces, stingers, or something. There is no dermatologist that is going to give this a first look, let alone a second look.
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 2, 2013, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepMysteries View Post
    While they are not living organisms they must relate to living organisms, feces, stingers, or something. There is no dermatologist that is going to give this a first look, let alone a second look.
    If you don't bet, you can't win. Good luck in Austin.

Jun 2, 2013, 11:13 AM
    Can't afford to go to dermatologists! Been there, done that and not needing an anti-psychotic or anti-depression scrip. Lol not yet, at least.
    Do you know of any other people on these multiple related threads who have been able to identify their "invaders"? One said they were sending samples to a university and then quit posting. The nature of these threads is like listening to interstellar communications--very intense and then fades and disappears. Hard to really gather useful linear data.

Jun 2, 2013, 05:05 PM
    Second or third thought on your observation that they look like blood clots-- at first I took it as you thought I hd pricked my finger somehow and a little blood clot developed. Then a friend suggested that if something else had pricked my skin to feed on my blood rubbing alcohol on the surface of the skin could emit a tiny blood clot. So I shouldn't be so quick to dismiss your suggestions-- sorry.
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 3, 2013, 02:55 AM
    Can't afford to go to dermatologists! Been there, done that and not needing an anti-psychotic or anti-depression scrip. lol not yet, at least.
    Do you know of any other people on these multiple related threads who have been able to identify their "invaders"? One said they were sending samples to a university and then quit posting. The nature of these threads is like listening to interstellar communications--very intense and then fades and disappears. Hard to really gather useful linear data.
    Normally the way this site works is that once a question has been resolved the asker sets about remedying the situation and gets on with their life. Those I hear back from once a solution is found are few and far between.

Apology accepted. Let me turn it around and apologise for snarking with the "don't bet" statement. I still wish you good luck at the University, however.

Jun 3, 2013, 08:58 AM
    So, reading that critters sometimes make egg slaves of others I am paying more attention to the other larger insects that show up in the morning collection pool. The first two water collections with larvae each had one very recognizable moth with them. I thought incidental, but perhaps not.

This morning's water had several diptera and two other insects--and while I was observing them a third, maybe an adolescent--emerged from under one of the larger ones!

Do you have any idea what these insects are?
    Attached Images

Pest Control Expert

Jun 3, 2013, 02:25 PM
    Do you have any idea what these insects are?
    My first thoughts were lacewings, but the abdomen isn't right. The feathery wing tips make me think lepidoptera.

Jun 3, 2013, 02:43 PM
    I think you are right about the two with the feather wings. They look mothy-- are there any small moths that bite?

Also the third character doesn't seem to be directly related to either the diptra or the moths-- is it an adolescent of some kind?
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 3, 2013, 06:03 PM
    I think you are right about the two with the feather wings. They look mothy-- are there any small moths that bite?

Also the third character doesn't seem to be directly related to either the diptra or the moths-- is it an adolescent of some kind??
    No, the wing structure on that one is entirely different. Is that 0.53mm the length of the entire bug?

Jun 3, 2013, 06:39 PM
    No, that was a sort of random mark and I am going to have to recalibrate the microscope--I am not very expert at this yet-- Without measuring them, I am going to say that the moth-like characters are probably about 8-9 mm and the medium sized one (not the diptera) is 3-4 mm. Approximately. That medium sized one just suddenly appeared from under one of the moths as I was taking the pictures.

Jun 3, 2013, 06:44 PM
    The stings that I am getting have increased in intensity--last night I got one on my foot that felt like a regular bee sting. And, no, there was no sign of a bee--or glass, or anything, actually! I was wearing socks in open toed shoes and the sting was near the bottom of my foot. Today something flew into my cheek and gave a sharp sting--but I couldn't find anything and it left no mark.

Jun 3, 2013, 06:48 PM
    Someone on some forum --this one or another--posed a nan-o-bot theory. Maybe mini drones.
    Don't worry, I am not getting delusional. Speaking of which I got a response from an entomologist today that suggested that... again. Good thing I am not or I could develop complications like paranoia --or itching! Or OCD laundry habits (oops! I am developing those).
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 4, 2013, 03:33 AM
    Someone on some forum --this one or another--posed a nan-o-bot theory. Maybe mini drones.
    Don't worry, I am not getting delusional. Speaking of which I got a response from an entomologist today that suggested that...again. Good thing I am not or I could develop complications like paranoia --or itching! Or OCD laundry habits (oops! I am developing those).
    As methodical as you have been documenting these infestations (Yes, plural), I assume you have had a physical to rule out things like neuropathy and allergies. The only insects I'm aware of that bite that hard are naked eye visible, such as fleas, biting midges, and deerflies.

Did the "sting" result in any swelling? That would indicate some type of venom.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Invisible flying, biting, and itching bugs into everything in my home. What is this? [ 4 Answers ]

I have the same problem. Even more frustrating is catsmine monitoring your thread when they obviously don't believe you. I recommend that catsmine go to Woodland Hills CA to Larkwood st. and sit down on the curb for two minutes. Then, they will have this problem too and can spend as much time...

Tiny almost invisible flying bug biting me non-stop [ 30 Answers ]

I bought a house last June and ever since I've been attacked by a tiny flying bug that I can only see in water and then it just looks like dust or dandruff. At first I thought they were the "no see ums" because they feel just like them. The bite is awful and painful but I don't have any bumps...

Invisible flying, biting, and itching bugs into everything in my home. What is this? [ 42 Answers ]

I need your help in reference to an invisible flying parasite of some kind in my home that is literally killing me by the minute. This invisible parasite is biting and itching me everywhere on the body but it doesn't leave any rashes, bumps, sores, or anything on the skin. However, they do attack...

How to erdicate invisible biting flying insects [ 2 Answers ]

I Don't know the answer?

View more questions Search