Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phoenix1664 Posts: 226, Reputation: 19

Mar 23, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Won't ping
    I well it is probs a simple thing but I cannot ping my laptop but the laptop can ping the PC enyone know why.

Advice yould be appreciated.
    JP8 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 09:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix1664
    i well it is probs a simple thing but i cannot ping my laptop but the laptop can ping the PC enyone know why.

advice yould be appreciated.
    What cable did you use? Or what type of network?
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Mar 24, 2007, 04:49 AM
    Check to see if you have the firewall is enabled on the laptop. It might not be allowing pings (ICMP).

Mar 26, 2007, 12:43 AM
    I am using a cross over cable that has been tested and works.

The firewals are not inabled and now they won't ping each other at all but will connect everyone I know is stumped.

Mar 26, 2007, 04:28 AM
    So if you're using a cross over cable that means that you have the laptop and the PC directly connected to each other. There is no switch in between. So do this:

Ipconfig /all

On both of the systems and paste if you would please.

Casey

Mar 26, 2007, 04:54 AM
    Yes I there striaght together or through a router I will past results on next post

Mar 26, 2007, 05:06 AM
    So which method are you using to connect them? Is it directly or through a "router"? I put "router" in quotes because most cable modem or dsl routers are only routers in their functionality not typically through their LAN ports. So if you have for example a cablemodem router with 1 WAN port + 4 LAN ports then the LAN ports are really a switch and you'll need a nomal ethernet cable (not a cross over cable). If you're connecting your PC to the WAN port then indeed a cross over cable is the correct cable but I'm not sure why anyone would want to connect their PC to the WAN port as part of a home connection.

Mar 26, 2007, 05:08 AM
    We have tried both but the weird thing is I have connected other laptops through this cable straight and also through the router so it must be a problem with the base unit and (or) the Laptop I just don't know what

Mar 26, 2007, 05:14 AM
    Very strange indeed but there is nothing like a tough Monday morning challenge :) I'll await your ipconfig /all output and if you can tell me how the systems were connected when you issued the ipconfig command that'd get us started. I'm sure we'll figure it out.

Mar 26, 2007, 05:36 AM
    OK cool will be after 5 when I can get back to my room

Mar 27, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Here you are if you can help it will be appreciated

PC

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name.. . Matspc
    Primary Dns Suffix.. .
    Node Type.. . UNKNOWN
    IP Routing Enabled.. . NO
    WINS Proxy Enabled.. . NO

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection

Connection-Specific DNS Suffix. .
    Description.. . Realtek RLT8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet

Rnet NIC

Dhcp Enabled.. . NO
    IP Address.. . 25.165.89.1
    Subnet Mask.. . 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway.. . 25.165.89.4

Laptop

Windows Ip Configuration

Host name.. . Matslaptop
    Primary DNS Suffix.. .
    Node Type.. . Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled.. . NO
    Wins Proxy Enabled.. . NO

Ethernet adapter local area connection 2

Description.. . NVIDEA nForce Netwotking Controller
    DHcp Enabled.. . NO
    IP Address.. . 25.165.89.2
    Subnet Mask.. . 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway.. . 25.165.89.4
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 27, 2007, 10:27 AM
    One thing that stands out is the 25.165.89.x IP you are using.
    For private use 192.168.x.x is more normal.

Were are you getting the defailt gateway IP as this also doesn't look right.

If you are using ICS then it too should be in the 192.168.x.x range.
    Normally this is the IP of the machine that connects to the internet (192.168.x.1)

Mar 27, 2007, 10:29 AM
    I no when I connect the machinet togethr it is just machine to machine and we have always used these addresses we just manualy type them in always worked till now
    smpclient Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 03:49 PM
    Your IP addresses are public IP's that belong to a subset in UK (looked them up). Maybe you are in the UK? Anyway, you can't use those addresses reliably forever while routing out to the internet. You need to use an ICANN standard private network.

I would reconfigure your two laptops as...

192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 with the subnet as 255.255.255.0 and retry the pings after rebooting both.

I understand it may have always worked, but often can't control what happens upstream from your local router. Since you are apparently using a local router (or cable modem) we could only further diagnose this buy viewing it's routing table. We could then create traversal routing entries to point back to your network.

If you think I might be way off... just remove the gateway from both computers, reboot and retry pinging each computer from the other while not connected to the internet. Reset your local switch too. Unplug the router altogether. Hope this helps...

This site is cool, wish I found it earlier. Was looking for an answer to my air conditioner problem... :)

Mar 28, 2007, 12:09 AM
    Cheers ye I do most of the time but for this specific test it was just straight from PC to Laptop no in bitween

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ping not recognized as internal or external command [ 9 Answers ]

When running cmd C:\Documents and Settings\... \ping I get the following error 'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external command. Please help me solve my problem Thanks

21 won't Get Job won't Respond To Anything [ 6 Answers ]

Daughter lives at home works 10hrs a week never has much money,is diabetic, smokes like a trooper,drinks lots of lucozade as well as going to pub and eats loads of chocolate, not happy unless blood reads 10 or more. Has very obsessive nature which is centred on a bloke at the moment so she can't...

21 won't Get Job won't Respond To Anything [ 1 Answers ]

Daughter lives at home works 10hrs a week never has much money,is diabetic, smokes like a trooper,drinks lots of lucozade as well as going to pub and eats loads of chocolate, not happy unless blood reads 10 or more. Has very obsessive nature which is centred on a bloke at the moment so she can't...

I can ping an address, but browser doesn't work [ 4 Answers ]

I can ping www.yahoo.com, but when I put the address in my browser, I get page not found, the same error on both my browsers - IE and netscape, I uninstalled my virus software, and still same error. My other computer works fine going through the same router and modem. Can I reset my socks...

View more questions Search