Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tamiller196 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2013, 11:52 AM
    Do I have to ask my mortgage before I sell it on a land contract
    I have had a offer to buy my house on a land contract for the full amount left on my mortgage. Can I sell it this way and do I have to get approval from my mortgage company?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 31, 2013, 12:40 PM
    You can get away with it because you retain title, but it would be foolish. You will still owe your lender each month, and you have no guarantee whatsoever that the person occupying your property lock stock and barrel will pay you a dime each month, forcing you regain possession in court while still paying the mortgage. There's all the associated problems of property taxes and so on, and reasonable upkeep.
    The market is rebounding. Don't be sweet talked into anything if you don't absolutely have to.
    If I had a mortgage, I would sell outright and pay off the mortgage. Why toss and turn when his payment is late, doesn't show up, or he floods the place, or burns it down, and walks away?
    And what if he knows it's worth more? Did you get any real appraisals recently?

May 31, 2013, 12:54 PM
    Thank you for your reply, we had it appraised and we owe more than its worth. But the person wanting to buy it is our nephew. I would not think a Marine and an employee of Ford would trash the house, but one never really knows. I will give thought as to what you said and go from there. Thank you again.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 31, 2013, 01:23 PM
    In this case, I wouldn't see a problem with a land sales contract. As joy said, you retain ownership so it shouldn't affect your mortgage. You can even have your nephew pay your mortgage payments directly.

I'm assuming your nephew doesn't have the credit or down payment to get a mortgage on his own.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 31, 2013, 02:01 PM
    Good relative who can't get a mortgage, willing to pay you more than it's worth right now?
    Sounds like a win-win.
    Maybe even a win-win-win, if the value keeps going up to when he wants or has to move.

May 31, 2013, 08:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    In this case, I wouldn't see a problem with a land sales contract. As joy said, you retain ownership so it shouldn't affect your mortgage. You can even have your nephew pay your mortgage payments directly.

I'm assuming your nephew doesn't have the credit or down payment to get a mortgage on his own.
    That's true , the banks won't lend without 20% down, and that's a bit much for him. He has set up payments to come directly to us from his bank so I'm not to concerned. Life is getting a bit much , if you no what I mean.
    Thank you for your time

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Land Contract buyers rights when the seller dies and has a mortgage on the property [ 1 Answers ]

I am thinking a signing a land contract with my father. My father is 80 years old and has a mortgage on the property. What happens if he passes.

Is it legal to sell a house contract for deed while owing a mortgage in Illinois? [ 3 Answers ]

Is it legal in the state of Illinois to sell a house contract for deed while still owing a mortgage?

A. Joe has signed a contract to sell gadgets to the city. The contract provides that [ 12 Answers ]

Joe operates a business that locates and purchases specialized assets for clients, among other activities. Joe uses the accrual method of accounting but he doesn’t keep any significant inventories of the specialized assets that he sells. Joe reported the following financial information for his...

Can I purchase a home with a mortgage on a land contract? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I purchase a home in Michigan on a land contract if the current owner has a mortgage on the home?

View more questions Search