Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Smithee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2013, 02:36 AM
    What breed of dog would be best?
    Hi there. I am researching different types of breed and I am looking for an intelligent, easily trainable dog that's doesn't smell or drool, has minimal shedding, makes a good companion, doesn't bark too frequently and is not too large. It will be my first time having a dog. Do you have any suggestions?
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2013, 05:04 AM
    With all of those requirements, how about a stuffed animal?

A golden retrieve is an excellent choice for first time dog owners. But they do shed. I am partial to German Shepherds. They are incredibly bright, easy to train, and incredible companions. But they do shed and can be quite large.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 31, 2013, 06:59 AM
    Perfect dog doesn't exist except in digital form. No one dog will have all the traits you want. Go to the local shelter, ask some questions there and watch the dogs. You will find one.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2013, 07:24 AM
    And I hope you will be the perfect owner once you find your perfect dog. Please do lots of research before taking in an innocent life. And have a good stash of money for shots, vet checks, illnesses, doggy food and equipment (crate, leash, collar, brushes, shampoo), and toys.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2013, 05:29 PM
    Wheaton?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2013, 08:25 PM
    I don't think those are unreasonable expectations for what you are looking for in a dog.

I would suggest to contact an all breed rescue and speak with a volunteer with what you are wanting with a dog. I suggest rescue over a shelter just because your typical rescue knows some of their dogs personalities and energy levels vs a shelter that is just moving dogs.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jun 1, 2013, 08:28 PM
    To know what dog breed or mix would work best for you, we would need to know more about you and the environment you would be bringing this animal into.

How old are you?
    Do you live alone or do you have family/roommates in the home?
    Any other pets such as cats, rodents, etc.
    How dog friendly is the area you live in? Dog parks, leash laws, people picking up after their animals, places to get good quality foods and vet care, etc.
    What are your average temperatures for Summer and Winter?
    Do you live in an apartment or house?
    How much time would your dog be left alone?
    How much time are you willing to spend grooming, trimming nails, etc.
    Will the animal be allowed on furniture?
    How active is your lifestyle?
    Are you expecting your dog to go on long walks, run miles, sit on a couch, etc.

Those questions are just the tip of the iceberg to ask yourself when you think about getting a dog from anyone or anywhere.

As a first time dog owner, you should take time to learn some basics about training and dog care before you get your pet. Look into training classes and trainers in your area and talk to them. Observe and listen. Ask questions and pay attention to the answers.

While you may want a cute little puppy, I highly suggest looking into older dogs who have already been through most of the training and will only need a refresher course.

The reality of pet ownership is that all dogs drool at times and smell if they aren't properly taken care of. An easily trainable animal is also one that gets bored and needs mental stimulation. Many smaller breeds are bred for companionship as well as any other duties they had such as hunting. It means they need their humans as much as their humans want them.

No dog is perfect. Dogs are only as well behaved as their humans. Dogs are not children even if we call them our fur babies.

You have a list of what you want. The dog who is right for you may not meet all of your requirements. Be open minded.

Remember that you are making a decision that will ultimately last a lifetime. That lifetime will depend a lot on the size, breeding and care your animal gets. Smaller breeds tend to live longer lives than larger breeds. Some breeds are susceptible to life-shortening health problems. But all dogs live a relatively short time when compared to the human lifespan. Treasure every day you have with your companion and even when you are frustrated and tired of dealing with your pet's quirks (all animals have them.) All too soon memories are all that is left.

This may seem like it is unhelpful to you because you are looking for breed suggestions, but myself and the others responding have all chosen (or rather been chosen), loved, lived and lost. Please stop and think and know what you are getting into so you can make the best informed decision you can. At least two lives depend on it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 2, 2013, 12:07 PM
    Very good questions Cat.

We do need to know more about you in order to help you find a breed that may suit you, but I will state, you won't get everything on your list. Dogs drool, some more than others, but all dogs can and do (at times) drool. Dogs bark, just like you talk. Some breeds are more "yappy" than others, but every dog barks.

My first initial thought when you posted your list, was a poodle. They're intelligent dogs, easy to train, non shedding, not big droolers, with regular bathing and grooming they don't smell too bad (but, they do need regular grooming, their fur is like hair, it grows and will need to be cut around every 6 weeks which is an added expense). They can be yappy, but with proper training you can curb that. They're not very high energy, they like to be with their family, they love to go for a walk, but they're just as happy to sit on your lap while watching TV. They come in all sizes, from super small teacup, to very large standard, and everything in between.

I had a poodle as a child, he was a miniature (a bit smaller than a beagle) and he lived for 18 years. He was a wonderful addition to our family. I actually really miss having a poodle, but my husband doesn't want one, he thinks they're "froo froo" dogs.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...47244034,d.cGE

From what you stated as your criteria, I really think a poodle would be great for you, but I would like to know more about you before I commit to that opinion. Answer Cats questions so we can get a better feel for what would suit you.
    Smithee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2013, 12:25 AM
    Thanks a lot for the helpful advice - I am considering everything very carefully and I haven't actually decided yet whether I really would like a dog or not. I know that no dog can be perfect, and that you'd be hard pressed to find a dog who exactly fitted all of those requirements.
    - I live with my parents and my 10 year old brother. We have a relatively large garden, and there are quite a few parks within walking distance.
    - I am quite a busy person, but I like that, and I would be able to spend an hour every day with my dog, and more at weekends and on fridays.
    - I love watching dog sports, especially agility courses, and would love to have a go at training a dog myself. I know it requires patience which is fine.
    - I am not too fond of smaller 'yappy' dogs, roughly the size of a spaniel is best.
    - I am happy to groom a dog several times a week, and shedding is OK as long as its no too heavy in case we all start sneezing.
    - we do have rodents in the house - a couple of hamsters.
    - I live in england, so it doesn't get too hot or cold really
    - the dog wouldn't be left alone more than a few hours a day.

Having dome lots of research on breeds, my thoughts were perhaps a Brittany, Springer Spaniel or Sheltie.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2013, 03:59 PM
    Spending an hour with your dog a day and sometimes on Fridays and weekends is not satisfactory... dogs require constant attention, much like a human child... especially if you think you think you want to compete... that alone requires at least 3 to 4 training sessions a day all of which last 30 to 60 minutes.

How old are you? Sounds to me that your lifestyle doesn't have much room for a dog... maybe a cat is more your style

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog breed debate. Purebred or Designer breed? [ 20 Answers ]

Since this debate started in another thread, I thought I'd start a new thread to allow members to continue discussing this topic, without continuing to hijack another thread. :) The debate on what makes a dog purebred has been going on for a long time. I'm not the best to explain this, but I'll...

What breed does my dog look like? [ 13 Answers ]

http://tinypic.com/r/fa0i79/4

What breed of dog, is my dog Annie? [ 10 Answers ]

Can you help me figure out what kind of dog Annie is? The rescue told me that she was a shepherd mix, but what else? She is the sweetest dog. I have had for over 2 years. She was abused by someone and is terrified of people. She loves other dogs, especially her brother Nicky. It took me over...

What is the breed of this dog? [ 15 Answers ]

She is only four weeks old and we got her from our local animal shelter. She has bowed legs and tiny ears like a bulldog. But she doesn't look like any of the bulldog puppies. She has thick, rather fuzzy, very soft fur.

What breed of dog do you have? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey everyone who reads this :D I was wondering what your takes on dogs are. I want to know what breed you have, if its indoor, outdoor, crate trained whatver. I want to hear funny, cute , happy etc. stories, I want to know if your overall exsperience was a good one. I'd love to hear from you...

View more questions Search