Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    b2loggie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2013, 04:48 PM
    john deere x324 steering binding
    Steering binds when straightening back from a full right turn. No problem on left turns. Can't see anything obvious "catching".
    Steering gearbox?
    Other?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jun 8, 2013, 08:11 PM
    Hi,
    Sounds as if something is either bent or the steering is not centered to turn the same amount in each direction. This is an all wheel steer, isn't it? Look at the steering mechanism on the rear of the frame just behind the transaxle for possible binding there.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jun 8, 2013, 09:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    Sounds as if something is either bent or the steering is not centered to turn the same amount in each direction. This is an all wheel steer, isn't it? look at the steering mechanism on the rear of the frame just behind the transaxle for possible binding there.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Thanks Clarke, I had checked for binding there, and the only thing I found is evidence of rubbing on the arm that links the trans to the right rear wheel. That was the result of interference between the link and the rod that disengages the trans for "pushing" the mower. That rod moves freely to ride up the link, so it doesn't bind there. I need to check the centering issue. I did see that the steering wheel is not centered when driving straight.
    Thanks again,
    Chuck

Jun 8, 2013, 09:46 PM
    Hi,
    Have not dealt with this on an X324, but I have on the LX277 AWS and the 455 AWS. All links have an adjustable end. Did you have one of the ends that adjust get replaced? If so then that is where I would start. At any rate you want to get either front or back in a straight configuration. If a link was replaced, pick the other end of the machine. Take a length of 2x4 and use it as your guide on each side of the machine to adjust the links for equal distance on each side.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jun 9, 2013, 05:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    Have not dealt with this on an X324, but I have on the LX277 AWS and the 455 AWS. All links have an adjustable end. Did you have one of the ends that adjust get replaced? If so then that is where I would start. At any rate you want to get either front or back in a straight configuration. If a link was replaced, pick the other end of the machine. Take a length of 2x4 and use it as your guide on each side of the machine to adjust the links for equal distance on each side.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Thanks again, I'll try that. The mower is almost new, so no replacements.

Jun 9, 2013, 07:25 AM
    Hi,
    After working for 40 years in the industry for different dealers of many brands, over seven years for a John Deere dealer, I have seen the mistakes that even new machines come with. Like the LT160 that they forgot to tighten the deck hangers on one side, or the X524 that leaked hydraulic fluid when sitting because a thirty cent o-ring got nicked during assembly. The first it took longer to get the deck to lower to find and correct the problem than any other thing. The latter took over four hours to disassemble the mower and transaxle to replace the o-ring(got to find all the recently added hidden serial numbers on the new machine.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John deere how to install transmission drive belt in C111HL John Deere tractor [ 1 Answers ]

Need step by step to to install transmission drive belt in C111HL John Deere Tractor

John Deere L100 steering tow out [ 1 Answers ]

I have john deere l100 riding mower,when the steering wheel is straight both front wheels toe out,anyone know how to adjust or correct this .THANKS

John Deere RX75 Riding Mower Steering Not Working [ 1 Answers ]

The steering linkage on my John Deere RX75 Riding Mower needs to be tightened. The steering wheel moves - but does not catch on the steering gears. The tires do move (if I do it by hand) - occasionally the gears will catch a little and the tires do move. ...

View more questions Search