Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yukonjon Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2013, 03:43 PM
    My wife left cover on AC central AC unit and then ran it all day. Can that damage it?
    Air Conditioning repair
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 30, 2013, 04:47 PM
    What cover?

May 30, 2013, 05:14 PM
    The winter cover to keep the snow and leaves out
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 30, 2013, 07:26 PM
    In that case, yes it can be damaged from heat buildup, compressor in particular. Can't imagine it worked too well and that's why it ran all day. I wasn't sure because in Atlanta we never put covers on them. Give it a try without the cover, maybe you will be lucky.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 30, 2013, 09:49 PM
    Next time, pull the disconnect on the outside when you put the cover on, Re-connect the disconnect when you take the cover off.

In most cases, you can lift the disconnect cover and follow the instructions in the box. Usually, you just turn a pull out upside down.

The compressor should shut down due to high pressure, but it would be a cyclic event.

May 31, 2013, 03:19 AM
    Thanks for the answers. The AC still does not seem to be working. The fan moves with the wind so I guess the motor wouldn't be seized.

May 31, 2013, 03:36 AM
    If the compressor is not working but the AC is turned on, the fan on the AC unit should still be running shouldn't it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I turned on the Central Air but forgot to take the winter cover off the outside unit [ 3 Answers ]

Now the outside unit doesn't turn on. Fan or compressor. Well, kind of. I went outside, took a look at the control access panel. There's a plastic switch type thing that if I press in, the unit turns on. Both the fan and the compressor come on. However if I let go then it stops running. Using...

Battery ran down when headlights were left on all day. [ 6 Answers ]

My headlights were left on all day, I jumped it to start it using the battery in the trunk. Now, my keyless entry won't work the first time so I have to manually open the car door. After that it will work one time and that is all. Also, my trunk won't open off my keyless entry and my service tire...

AC compressor not running Just installed new unit & it only ran for a day HELP PLEASE [ 8 Answers ]

AC wasn't cooling (compressor wasn't running) on system and after a lot of troubleshooting - I installed a whole new outside condenser unit (this is at an apartment complex). The unit worked great - for one day! Then the compressor quit running. Fan is still running. I have checked everything I...

Central heat unit cover [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know the name of the cover that is metal with slats in it that goes over the burner and is the outside part for a central heat unit that is inside.

Day and night central unit =No Heat [ 5 Answers ]

Fan comes on NO HEAT changed the Mercury switch still not heating. Pilot is on What to do now?

View more questions Search