Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 29, 2013, 12:27 PM
    Does Gay Marriage Infringe on Your Religious Liberty?
    One of the arguments that some use to oppose gay marriage is that it "denies religious liberty to people who believe in traditional marriage and who do not want to be forced to violate their conscience and sincerely held religious beliefs." (quote from Michelle Bachman). I would like to ask anyone who shares the belief that gay marriage imposes on their religious liberty - how does it do so? It seems to me that this is like saying that the presence of, say, a Hindu temple in town infringes on the religious liberty of Christians living in that town. Obviously Christians don't believe in Hinduism, but I've not heard anyone claim that the presence of a Hindu temple infringes on their own religious liberty. So, how does this argument work with gay marriage? Please don't get into moral arguments of gay life style, but rather stick to how the presence of a legally-married (as recognized by the state) gay couple can infringe on your liberty. Thanks!
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2013, 12:38 PM
    Isn't that like saying a Steakhouse infringes on someone's liberty to be vegan or vegetarian?

You do have protected rights, at least in the USA you do. Where you lose that protection is when your rights are applied to the next person. You have the freedom to be religious and believe what you want to believe. You don't have the right to force it on others.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 29, 2013, 12:54 PM
    One way that is feared by many and that has already been taking place is that people are forced to participate even when it is against their own religion. Another is that some churches could be forced out of existence because of law suits should they refuse to participate in a gay marriage. It is more a matter of a group pushing an agenda then it is about a religious belief. Many saw how powerful the gay lobby was in Washington yet they didn't pursue the rights through civil union. Instead the group sought elevation into the rhelm that has been through the centuries held by men and women.

You comparison of a Hindu temple doesn't hold the same merrit as they aren't suing other churches nor non hindu to force them to participate against their beliefs.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2013, 01:12 PM
    Isn't suing a church a no thrills ticket to hell?

All the gay community wants is the same rights and recognitions as straight people have. Having those rights infringes on no one as far as I can tell. But I haven't spent a lot of time considering it.
    Expert

May 29, 2013, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    One way that is feared by many and that has already been taking place is that people are forced to participate even when it is against thier own religion.
    Please cite an example where anyone is "forced to participate" with respect to gay marriage. I know of no cases where someone has been forced to marry a person of the same sex!

Another is that some churchs could be forced out of existance because of law suits should they refuse to participate in a gay marriage.
    Please cite an example where any church has ever been forced to perform any religious ceremony against its wishes. For example it is against Roman Catholic church policy to wed people who are either not RC or have not agreed to raise their children in the RC church, but I'm not aware of them ever being sued over this. Are you aware of any such law suits in any of the 12 states where gay marriage is already legal?

It is more a matter of a group pushing an agenda then it is about a religious belief. Many saw how powerful the gay lobby was in Washington yet they didnt persue the rights through civil union. Instead the group sought elevation into the rhelm that has been through the centuries held by men and women.
    Good point - I think the civil union route would have been just fine except for the extreme entanglement of the word "marriage" in tens of thousands of laws and regulations on the books at all levels of local, city, county, state, and federal government. This has turned "marriage" into a legal status as much (or more) than a religious one. Perhaps it was a mistake for the government to ever get in the marriage business, and they should have used the term "civil union" for all legal unions for the past 237 years. But unfortunately that's not what happened, so we're stuck with "marriage" being a legal term. And in any event - this point doesn't address how gay marriage infringes on your liberty.

You comparison of a Hindu temple doesnt hold the same merrit as they arent suing other churchs nor non hindu to force them to participate against thier beliefs.
    Please cite an example where a church has been sued to "participate" in a gay rights issue. What law suits have their been to force churches to "participate against their beliefs" with respect to gay rights issues? Again, we have 12 states with some experience in this area so presuambly there would be evidence of this happening already.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2013, 03:16 PM
    No church should be forced into a situation of conducting a ceremony for gay people, it makes an absolute sham of their beliefs and for what a minority who obviously don't share their beliefs anyway, in the same way a business should be able to choose who they have as customers, it's not that long ago people thought it okay in your country to deny service to coloureds, the only way gays can be recognised is if they make themselves obvious by their behaviourand obviously obnoious along with it
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 29, 2013, 04:12 PM
    Here's one of those links you were asking for, ebaines. No, the gays aren't sueing, it's worse than that.

Gay Marriage Supporters Threaten to Strip Churches of Tax Exemption

If this happens I'm filing IRS complaints against every Black preacher in politics.
    Expert

May 29, 2013, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    in the same way a business should be able to choose who they have as customers,
    I'm confused - are you saying it's OK for a business to discriminate on the basis of race? Really?

But we're getting off topic - I asked how gay marriage infringes on your religious liberty. Does serving married gays (not just gays per se) in your place of business do that?
    Expert

May 29, 2013, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Here's one of those links you were asking for, ebaines. No, the gays aren't sueing, it's worse than that.

Gay Marriage Supporters Threaten to Strip Churches of Tax Exemption

If this happens I'm filing IRS complaints against every Black preacher in politics.
    I think most would agree that no organization with 501(c)(3) tax status should be allowed to politic on behalf of a political campaign or candidate. You would certainly object to a "charity" that politics for Nancy Pelosi. But we're getting off topic - how does this affect your religious liberty?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 29, 2013, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    But we're getting off topic - I asked how gay marriage infringes on your religious liberty. Does serving married gays (not just gays per se) in your place of business do that?
    Here is where it starts to go all wrong. When your talking non-religious activity such as getting a car repaired or laundering clothes or other non-religious services then that is very different then crossing a line that is considered religious to the person doing the serving.

Would you expect a Muslim butcher to carry your favorite pork roast? Or your local Jewish deli to carry non kosher foods? Of course you don't. The florest had sold flowers many times to the customers in question. Then came the religious aspect and she refused to participate. In effect her religious freedom was abridged. So when you talk about it in a broad sense it boils down to the person performing the service and the nature of that service.
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2013, 05:07 PM
    It comes down to stop all this pandering to minorities and that includes gays. They have to take on the values of the society and not the other way around.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 29, 2013, 05:23 PM
    I'm not going to jump into this fray because I think separation of church and state should apply to marriage too (let all religions do their weddings how they wish and as sacred as they wish), and that all of us should be entitled to civil unions for the sake of family benefits and responsibilities. Why can't I have a contract with 2 roommates, for instance, so that they can inherit my house, or so that we can make decisions about death or visit me in Intensive Care? Or countless other reasons. A young man in India married his grandmother, I believe, for some of these reasons.
    In other words, I want there to be two kinds of marriage - one for religious reasons and one for legal reasons.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 29, 2013, 05:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I'm not going to jump into this fray because I think separation of church and state should apply to marriage too (let all religions do their weddings how they wish and as sacred as they wish), and that all of us should be entitled to civil unions for the sake of family benefits and responsibilities. Why can't I have a contract with 2 roommates, for instance, so that they can inherit my house, or so that we can make decisions about death or visit me in Intensive Care? Or countless other reasons. A young man in India married his grandmother, I believe, for some of these reasons.
    In other words, I want there to be two kinds of marriage - one for religious reasons and one for legal reasons.
    Many debates have raged over your viewpoint, Joy, since the Dark Ages when the Church WAS the State. Most governments want Divine authority to this day. That's why the people in those governments are there. They want to be rulers.

ebaines, MY religious liberty has been under attack since Constantine converted. We remain.

Blessed be.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 29, 2013, 05:57 PM
    Does Gay Marriage Infringe on Your Religous Liberty?

NO.
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2013, 07:42 PM
    That's your opinion
    Expert

May 29, 2013, 07:47 PM
    Yep!!
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2013, 08:00 PM
    Look you legalise gay marriage over there and all the gays here will piss off and your welcome
    Expert

May 29, 2013, 08:04 PM
    What does that have to do with you?
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2013, 08:07 PM
    What does what have to do with me?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gay Marriage [ 30 Answers ]

Hello: Gay marriage is now LEGAL in my state. Provisions were made for the clergy to refuse to do them if they felt uncomfortable, but can JUDGES refuse? excon

PA does not allow gay marriage but... [ 10 Answers ]

Is there any way I can legally set up my finances, insurance, and so on similar to marriage benefits? Also, is there any way for me to legally take her last name? (we are both adult females, very much so in love and committed to each other, looking for an alternative to marriage)

Gay Marriage [ 304 Answers ]

Hello conservative right wingers: Why do you deny the happiness, that you yourself enjoy, from your fellow citizens? Isn't doing that UN Christianlike?? I think it IS!! You are bad and wrong for doing that. Tell my why you're not. excon

Gay Marriage [ 153 Answers ]

Are you for or against Gay Marriage?

Check whether your new business logo infringe a copyright [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I came up with a new logo for a small business company. How is it possible to check if the new logo infringes anybody's copyright (their logo)? The logo is a creation with two initials. For example, if the company name is MicroSoft, I made the new logo using M and S.

View more questions Search