Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smkanand Posts: 602, Reputation: 56

May 29, 2013, 10:55 PM
    It doesn't. For gays it could be a contract or "marriage" in the eyes of law but church or any other religious body should not be forced to believe the same. I'm not against gay rights.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2013, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I'm not going to jump into this fray because I think separation of church and state should apply to marriage too (let all religions do their weddings how they wish and as sacred as they wish), and that all of us should be entitled to civil unions for the sake of family benefits and responsibilities. Why can't I have a contract with 2 roommates, for instance, so that they can inherit my house, or so that we can make decisions about death or visit me in Intensive Care? Or countless other reasons. A young man in India married his grandmother, I believe, for some of these reasons.
    In other words, I want there to be two kinds of marriage - one for religious reasons and one for legal reasons.
    I couldn't agree more .
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2013, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smkanand View Post
    it doesn't. for gays it could be a contract or "marriage" in the eyes of law but church or any other religious body should not be forced to believe the same. I'm not against gay rights.
    I'm just against calling the union of homosexuals a marriage.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2013, 06:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    First off - Yankees? UGH. Go REDS!!

Second - While I agree with you which is odd because I am not a member of the "straights", not allowing people who are gay to marry for every reason the straights do keeps them as second class citizens. Is that right? If my partner and I choose to go down that path, I have no problem calling it a civil union. But I am in the minority in the non-straights group.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 30, 2013, 06:07 AM
    I'm not.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 30, 2013, 06:15 AM
    Old ideas and traditions die hard.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 30, 2013, 06:29 AM
    It seems that the vocabulary of the word "marriage" is a sticking point here, but it's off topic. Still open for debate - how does the state describing the legal union of a gay couple as a "marriage" and granting them the same legal rights as straight couples infringe on your religious liberty? It would seem to me that you would have a similar issue with an aetheist man and aetheist woman being married by a Justice of the Peace at City Hall without mention of God or any religious context at all - does that marriage infringe on your religious liberty as well?
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2013, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2011 View Post
    First off - Yankees? UGH. Go REDS!!!

Second - While I agree with you which is odd because I am not a member of the "straights", not allowing people who are gay to marry for every reason the straights do keeps them as second class citizens. Is that right? If my partner and I choose to go down that path, I have no problem calling it a civil union. But I am in the minority in the non-straights group.
    No ,I don't think that makes gays 2nd class citizens .I'm not opposed for gays getting exactly the same legal rights as straights when they join in partnership . That is why I also agreed that it would be best if the state got out of the marriage business.
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2013, 06:35 AM
    In my mind allowing gay couples to enjoy the same perks as the straighties through marriage is a victimless event therefore it cannot infringe on any rights.
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2013, 06:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    It seems that the vocabulary of the word "marriage" is a sticking point here, but it's off topic. Still open for debate - how does the state describing the legal union of a gay couple as a "marriage" and granting them the same legal rights as straight couples infringe on your religious liberty? It would seem to me that you would have a similar issue with an aetheist man and aetheist woman being married by a Justice of the Peace at City Hall without mention of God or any religous context at all - does that marriage infringe on your religous liberty as well?
    I agree with cdad that businesses have been forced to participate in religious ceremony that they oppose;and if they don't they are violating some civil right, In those cases ,indeed their religious liberty is being violated .
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2013, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    It seems that the vocabulary of the word "marriage" is a sticking point here, but it's off topic. Still open for debate - how does the state describing the legal union of a gay couple as a "marriage" and granting them the same legal rights as straight couples infringe on your religious liberty? It would seem to me that you would have a similar issue with an aetheist man and aetheist woman being married by a Justice of the Peace at City Hall without mention of God or any religous context at all - does that marriage infringe on your religous liberty as well?
    What I have issue with is the state redefining the religious tradition of marriage. The state is supposed to stay out of religious matters, but this redefinition is an attack on the very basis of religious tradition. I fully expect that this move will lead to state enforced gay unions in churches in the name of freedom. You would deny the freedom of the many for the sake of a supposed freedom of a few
    Uber Member

May 30, 2013, 06:42 AM
    will lead to state enforced gay unions in churches
    I don't think many want that at all. If if were not the case and it were about civil unions, does that make it better?
    Uber Member

May 30, 2013, 06:44 AM
    that businesses have been forced to participate in religious ceremony that they oppose
    NO business should be forced into ANY religious ceremony.
    Expert

May 30, 2013, 06:45 AM
    Life was so much easier when gays stayed in the closet out of fear. Much like minorities staying in their "place". That world is dying as more gays integrate into the institutions of general society and no longer settle for separate but equal, or the fringe of being a first class citizen.

They want what everyone wants FULL freedom to pursue their own happiness with whomever they please and the benefits that come with it. Some don't like being equal with a minority, especially a gay one. They have a right I think not to accept it. But they cannot deny anyone anything.
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2013, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    NO business should be forced into ANY religious ceremony.
    I agree. I also agree that a marriage is defined as a union between a man and a woman. It should stay that way.
    Expert

May 30, 2013, 06:48 AM
    ...I also agreed that it would be best if the state got out of the marriage business.
    Unfortunately that ship has sailed. Can't go back now. It is an absolute impracticality to rewrite all laws, rules, regulations, contracts, insurance polies, etc etc for all towns, counties, states, and federal government to add "and civil union" wherever the term "marriage" occurs. You can't do it by fiat through any single law, short of an amendment to the Constitution. So we are stuck with having to use the word "marriage" as a legal term in matters of law..
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2013, 07:07 AM
    Not that hard at all . State marriages that have already occurred need not change. And since marriage is a state issue anyway,no amendement is required. . (DOMA has been defeated in Federal Court 8 times and will not survive SCOTUS )
    All it really takes is one law that says 'as of this date ' all unions sanctioned by the state shall be called "civil unions" for the purpose of contract and assigning legal benefits (or some legaleze version of that ) .
    Expert

May 30, 2013, 07:21 AM
    All it really takes is one law that says 'as of this date ' all unions sanctioned by the state shall be called "civil unions" for the purpose of contract and assigning legal benefits (or some legaleze version of that ) .
    Unfortunately that doesn't work. This "one law" would have to be passed at the federal level in order to apply to federal income tax, social security benefits, medicare and medicaid, pension plans, etc; at the state level in order to apply to state laws regarding state income tax, property rights, estate planning and inheritance, insurance contracts, welfare, etc; at the county and town level to cover local ordinances such as issuing marriage licenses, property tax and "homesteading" issues. And it would require all 50 states agree to stop talking about marriage and adopt civil unions - what's the chance of that happening?
    smkanand Posts: 602, Reputation: 56

May 30, 2013, 07:29 AM
    Call it a marriage, law has that authority but religious institutions also have their rights. Same sex union is quite opposite the laws of nature. Gays should have right to get married according to law but religious authorities has their own space.
    Expert

May 30, 2013, 07:54 AM
    Some religious institutions and churches do indeed perform gay marriages but the tick is if the couples relocate to where gay marriage from another state is not recognized.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gay Marriage [ 30 Answers ]

Hello: Gay marriage is now LEGAL in my state. Provisions were made for the clergy to refuse to do them if they felt uncomfortable, but can JUDGES refuse? excon

PA does not allow gay marriage but... [ 10 Answers ]

Is there any way I can legally set up my finances, insurance, and so on similar to marriage benefits? Also, is there any way for me to legally take her last name? (we are both adult females, very much so in love and committed to each other, looking for an alternative to marriage)

Gay Marriage [ 304 Answers ]

Hello conservative right wingers: Why do you deny the happiness, that you yourself enjoy, from your fellow citizens? Isn't doing that UN Christianlike?? I think it IS!! You are bad and wrong for doing that. Tell my why you're not. excon

Gay Marriage [ 153 Answers ]

Are you for or against Gay Marriage?

Check whether your new business logo infringe a copyright [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I came up with a new logo for a small business company. How is it possible to check if the new logo infringes anybody's copyright (their logo)? The logo is a creation with two initials. For example, if the company name is MicroSoft, I made the new logo using M and S.

View more questions Search