Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

May 28, 2013, 07:07 PM
    Hey ladies, explain something to me
    Ok, this question is for the ladies.

What does it mean when a woman tells you that you are handsome vs cute vs hot? I've never heard a woman tell me that I was hot but women tell me all of the time that I am handsome. So what does handsome mean to a woman? What is hot? And what is cute?

Thanks.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

May 28, 2013, 07:32 PM
    Handsome - mature and good looking.
    Cute - Nice looking in a boyish looking way.
    Hot- sexy

May 28, 2013, 07:35 PM
    Hey homegirl - thanks for the response. Just a follow-up but how would a girl know you are mature just by your looks? Women have called me handsome without knowing my character at all and to know whether I was mature. For all they knew, I could've been a complete cut-up.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

May 28, 2013, 07:45 PM
    The look being mature, not necessarily you.
    But it depends on the age of the girls/women you're asking about and also the age of the guy. I have rarely thought a young man (teen) to be handsome.
    My_Doll_iS Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

May 28, 2013, 07:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Homegirl 50 View Post
    Handsome - mature and good looking.
    Cute - Nice looking in a boyish looking way.
    Hot- sexy
    My sentiments exactly.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 29, 2013, 05:54 AM
    I think handsome is an age thing - cute when younger, handsome when older and distinguished.

I think handsome is also attitude, being well put together, confident, knowing "yourself."

No one can speak for all women - "we" can only speak for ourselves, and I think cute, handsome, anything else also depends on the age of the observer. My stepdaughters rave about a man's looks, and I usually just don't see the same thing. Ask a 20 year old woman which man is attractive (or what is attractive in a man) and then ask someone 30. I think you'll get two different answers.

As I said, I find good grooming, a man who carries himself well, is well dressed, someone who is successful, to be handsome.

As far as "handsome" also judging personal attributes such as intelligence and honesty - no, those are different things. "Handsome" in my eyes refers to the packaging, not the content.

Where are you that all these women are commenting on your looks?

May 29, 2013, 06:16 AM
    Hi Judy - thanks for your comments. Perhaps it is the age of the observer that mostly dictates the use of the word handsome.

I get commented on by girls on dating sites, sometimes by girls that are friends of friends (they tell me through the grapevine), and once in awhile by coworkers. For example, a woman that I worked with years ago, we bumped into each other and she said: "hey handsome, how are you?" And yesterday a girl on a dating site said: "how are you, handsome?"

I suppose if one woman said it, it might not register with me but I hear it frequently enough that I thought to ask about the meaning of its use.
    Uber Member

May 29, 2013, 07:05 AM
    A standard, flippant line used by men is "Hi beautiful." My feeling? They either can't remember my name or that's how they address everyone.

And I would pay little attention to dating site idle conversation - I don't know that anyone has ever said, "Hey, you're really ugly" on a dating site.

If you want to know what people mean, ask them.

I once dated a man who called me sweetheart. I found it grating. I finally asked him if he called me sweetheart because he couldn't remember my name. He said, no, he addressed women whose name he couldn't remember as "honey."

Enough said about that.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 29, 2013, 08:18 AM
    I've never called a man hot. Probably because I don't like muscles and brawn and insanely masculine good looks. I don't like men who preen and strut their stuff and act like God's gift. Once in a while a man comes along who can pull it all off because he isn't into himself, like a Harrison Ford type.
    Handsome is easy to say. 'Hi handsome' trips off the tongue. I can say that to any pleasing guy, even a not very good looking one, because a lot of it is attitude.
    Cute is for guys that have a sweetness, while possibly also being good looking but not necessarily. Someone extra huggable and a touch of vulnerable. Those are the ones I have always been most attracted to. I just don't go for men who fit the mold for super good looks. Partly 'cause I'm no hot long-legged boobalicious babe myself.
    Uber Member

May 29, 2013, 08:20 AM
    I agree with you, Joy. I find self confidence to be enormously sexy, not just a pretty face and a 6 pack (12 pack? Some other pack)?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does anyone know the name of this song? The lyrics go, hey nicki minaj, hey, [ 0 Answers ]

I think its by oj da juiceman. Some of the lyrics in the corus say this- hey nicki minaj, hey,hey nicki minaj, hey,hey nicki minaj, hey,hey nicki minaj, hey,she walk like she talk like a all star *****

Its like being low, hey hey hey like being stoned [ 2 Answers ]

I need help I love this song but I don't know the name or artist. It goes Me with you girl, its like being low, hey hey hey like being stoned. It's a rock song Help thanks Peace

HEY LADIES! How do women feel about male virgins? [ 57 Answers ]

I'm 23 male and a virgin... and I'm just wondering what's wrong with me! I like women, but I just have trouble getting up the nerve and talking about personal stuff. I'm a joker, and can make people laugh. Say I'm at a bar with some friends... I am pretty much scared to death to walk up to a...

View more questions Search