Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dabooka77 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 08:04 AM
    Credit reporting after bankruptcy
    A few years ago in 2003 my now husband filed chapter 7 and had some debt discharged. (This was before I knew him) The problem is that those debts are still being reported on his credit report. Can they do that? If not, what can we do about it? The situation has his credit in a place where it is becoming impossible to build good credit for him.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 23, 2007, 08:06 AM
    A bankruptcy usually remains on your credit report for 7 years. The debts should remain for that time marked discharged.
    dabooka77 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 08:12 AM
    That's the problem. The accounts that were discharged are still reporting as delinquent.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 23, 2007, 08:14 AM
    They are allowed to show the accounts, but they should state included in bankruptcy. If they are not showing up included in bankruptcy, you can contract the credit reporting bureau and provide them proof this debt was included in the bankruptcy and they should correct this.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Mar 23, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Fr Chuck is absolutely correct. To make the process easier for the bureaus, get a copy of your report from all 3 (Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax). The official site where you won't have to pay (unless you want a credit score) is: www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp . To provide the proof that Fr Chuck spoke of, make 3 copies of your BK List of Creditors, and 3 copies of the Discharge. Mail those with the filled out dispute form to the bureaus. It may take a couple of attempts for the bureaus to get it right, but eventually those accounts should show: Discharged in BK. I advise everyone to take this step about 90 dats after the Discharge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reporting Private Loans to Credit Agencies [ 1 Answers ]

I am making monthly payments to a private source to pay for a vehicle that was purchased for me. I have paid on the vehicle for the past 4 years and would like to know if it is possible to have that information reported to the credit agencies. If it is possible, how do I have it done? I had...

Collections Credit Reporting - NSF Checking [ 1 Answers ]

My wife added me to her checking account in early 2003. In November of 2003, she wrote a check that bounced and was returned for NSF. To make a long story short, it was turned over to collections. She paid the debt with interest, penalties, and various fees. The problem, it was put on my credit...

Credit Reporting Used as a weapon [ 4 Answers ]

What are the options for getting a company to correct their erroneous credit reporting? This has to do with Geico the Insurance company. They terminated my policy, sent me a refund. Now they are claiming we re-signed and that we owe and are reporting the lack of payment. We never restated our...

Credit reporting [ 3 Answers ]

When someone is offered a settlement or you are negociating (sp) with a creditor or collection agency. Some say to try to get the creditor to put PAID IN FULL OR NEVER LATE OR no deal. How do you really know that they will abide by what they are saying, I know they can't be trusted. Do you wait...

View more questions Search