Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Bush, where I live, you just can't get through to people. You can talk and talk and be as nice as pie, but they don't get it. And, that is face to face. It sure as heck is a lot more difficult to reason with someone on a website and get them to see the light. You get tired of repeating yourself after a while, and it gets very frustrating. Yes, maybe labman is terse at times. But, he strongly believes in spay/neuter and when someone posts about a pregnant pet and it is obvious that they haven't done their homework, or hasn't immediately gone to their vet, he gets annoyed. As I do. Most vets will talk with their customers about spaying and neutering at some point. You have to ask yourself why the person posting didn't have it done. Yes, some people have money issues. But you know what? I am a widow on a fixed income and I will go without something so that my dog can have the proper medical care and training. I don't need a fancy surround sound system, an Xbox, a fancy car, or any of the other toys people buy for themselves. Most of the people I see where I live, feel they need to have these things and will spend whatever money they have on stuff that just isn't a necessity. Then they cry poverty when you speak to them about their pets health and welfare. It disgusts me. People have a choice as to whether to stay ignorant over a situation. Yes, they may be very nice people and not intentionally breed their pets. So what? They are guilty of not listening to their vets and/or not educating themselves, and now they are asking for someone to offer them a bandaid, some magical piece of advice, or stroke them a bit because they are upset. If they don't like the attitude, they have an option to turn off their computers and call their vets. They don't. Why?

When I adopted my dog, she was 5-6 months old and was incredibly ill. She was slated to be euthanized within 3 days. I spent a ton of money on her to get her back to the best state of health that I could. As she grew and filled out, I realized she was not a mix as thought. She was a full pitbull. So, I read everything I could get my hands on about the breed and spent another ton of money putting her through rigorous training to ensure that she was given the best chance in life as a happy and well balanced dog. I didn't rely on websites. I relied on vets, behaviorists, trainers and books. When I was faced with a problem, I did some more digging and found my answers. She is a house dog. Never allowed off leash. But, the first thing I did was have her spayed because even though I knew that I wasn't going to contribute to the overpopulation, I didn't want to leave anything open to chance that an "accidental breeding" might occur.

By the way, I have a friend who does what you do. She will take someone's cat that is out roaming, get it fixed, and put it back. Most people don't even realize it. How sad is that?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Ruby it' s just not labman that get terse. I have seen a lot of others do it. I can say that I am the type of person that get's easily offended. I am just looking at it from their perspective most people just flick off at the computer screen and not get in a debate or respond. Go to another site and find out what they need to know, and we have missed the opportunity to store a little information in their brain regarding why they should not breed their pets. It's sad but some people never take their pets to the vet for them to tell them anything. They buy them or get them for free and that's it . Sad but true esp. in the country, they can even buy rabies shots and such from the local drugstore.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 08:43 AM
    I understand what you are saying. Maybe the problem is being too sensitive. I don't take offense easily. I couldn't give a rat's behind if someone here says something nasty to me. It isn't as if anyone here has an effect on my "real" life. The fact is, if you go to other help websites, you will always get slammed by someone. And, I have seen on other sites some really incredibly nasty stuff. I find this help site has a larger base of intelligent responses than any other. I don't like seeing breeding questions. My preference is to not respond because I don't believe anything I say will ever get through. But, in deference to labman, and the fact that he believes as I do about breeding, I have spoken up about it. It really depends on what kind of mood I am in. I have my good days and bad. Sometimes I can be a real arse. Thankfully, admin forgives it because for the most part, I am helpful. I don't use abusive names. But, I can point out that someone is not using their common sense, and calling their vet when there is a crisis. Okay, the poster may not view it as helpful and may be offended by my words, but I haven't said anything that isn't true and I am answering the question, or at least attempting to, the best way I know how, which is the main purpose of this site. I think it is all in how one interprets the response. Has someone offended me here? Many times. Labman among them. So what? I either ignore it completely, find a way to come to a truce, or I stand my ground if the other person has an iota of intelligent posts and isn't slamming me in an irrational manner. If it goes off topic, I am obligated to point that out. I don't need to get the last word in or point out to them that they are being rude. If it is a rude post, I click on "inappropropiate post" and let the administrators and moderators deal with it. If I am truly upset, I PM one of the administrators. But, for me that is rare. In the end, I am still here because I like the sense of community, I like most of the people, and the rules are quite logical to me. Why let one person's response intimidate me or turn me off to coming back. In the scheme of my "real" life, no one here has any bearing or influence on it.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 08:49 AM
    P.S. Bushg, you wrote:
    It's sad but some people never take their pets to the vet for them to tell them anything. they buy them or get them for free and that's it . Sad but true esp. in the country,
    Yes, it is true. And, it pisses me off. It is illegal not to seek proper medical care and to immunize your child. Why should another living creature under your care not be given the same consideration? In the end, we, as adults are responsible for everyone living in our household and under our care.

The few people who choose to be intimidated or leave this site due to what they view as "abuse", are free to do so. There will always be something that someone doesn't like on any web site you visit. You can't please all of the people, all of the time.
    MrPippin Posts: 87, Reputation: 17
    -

Jun 4, 2007, 10:27 AM
    WOW this question got some fast response. I am very concerned with the problem. Thankfully we have two shelters in my area that do not euthanize dogs. I used to have AKC registered dogs but don't have any now. Now I have a German Shepard found abandoned, a Husky-Lab Mix (Huskador) rescued following Hurricane Wilma. A Roti rescued from La following Hurricane Katrina. I also foster one dog for one of the animal rescue organizations in my area, a Australian Shepard Bassett Hound mix (yes it is as bad as it sounds), basically he is a Australian Shepard with really short legs and a long body.

We hold a adopt-a-thon at my place of business about once every 3 months with one of the shelters in the area. But we all have to be little Bob Barkers and preach spaying and neutering. My Roti looks like she was used in some backyard breeding mill as you could tell she had been a mother before. I have no idea why someone would have bred her because she is not even close to being a breeding quality dog. I had to spend $700 on her to get her eyes fixed because every time she closed them her eyebrows went into her eyes and irritated them. Then I had the joy of her 6 month checkup where she tested positive for Heartworms. So another $800. I have as much in her as a papered Roti, but she is my big sweetie and I wouldn't take anything for her. And yes I had them all fixed.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Rotties are great. I do fostering with a couple of rescues in my area. By the way, Mr P, this is actually an old post that labman began in March. It has gotten picked up and responded to at different intervals. That is why there are so many answers. Wait until you see the ones that are 4 years old suddenly getting new life breathed into them.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 11:13 AM
    I think bushg has a point on people not getting vet care at all. I wonder what planet some people are living on, actual question, ''My 7 month old dog has been bleeding out the vagina for a week. What should I do?'' I was more gentle than you might expect, counseling carefully confining her for a couple of weeks and then having her spayed when the vet was willing.

''How long does my female Labrador have to be with the male to get pregnant?'' ''How many puppies will a Poodle have?'' What is the justestion period for a dog?'' I have been seeing a couple of those a day since early this year. This is on a site where questions are directed to a specific ''expert''.
    -

Jun 4, 2007, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    ...I am just looking at it from their perspective most people just flick off at the computer screen and not get in a debate or respond. go to another site and find out what they need to know, and we have missed the opportunity to store a little information in their brain regarding why they should not breed their pets.
    With regards to this user, please note her words.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnB
    ...You know, I looked on this site for advice about my baby, a mini dachshund. Then I realized that this site is just like many others I have seen.
    When she goes to these other sites she gets the same answer. Somewhere along the way you would think it would start to sink in to her head that she has a problem and should address it.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SnB
    People do share your concern, however it's your poor attitude that's the problem. You get more bee's with honey. You are not nice in your responses. You treat people like they are stupid, and like they are TRYING to over-populate the world with animals. Maybe if you tried being nice, you'd get through to more people. I agree with your stance, I do not like the way you display it. I'm sure I'll get a rude reply though.
    Mr Pippin, she posted that one that you quoted, and the above, here on this thread, prior to actually posting her question. So, I was trying to figure out how she expected a kind and considerate response by starting this way on this web site. Hmmm. *scratches head* "You get more bees with honey." Yes indeedy. You do.
    -

Jun 4, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    Hmmm. *scratches head* "You get more bees with honey." Yes indeedy. You do.
    Yes you do, but also expect to attract some bears along the way... :)
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 12:44 PM
    Bear with me. SnB perhaps deserves a little slack with it being a 4 month old. Better yet we can hope it didn't take because he was too young. Many questions are too brief to really know what is happening. In many cases, even with good intentions, coming into season may come too soon after 6 months and before getting around to it. Still, many of them can hardly be anything but a backyard breeder trying to avoid a vet bill.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 12:55 PM
    Of course labman, she deserves some slack. She said the male was 3 months old. But, I am not inclined to cut someone slack when they find it necessary to create 2 rude posts prior to posting her actual question. She could have explained the entire situation on one post. But, I still am confused as to why she just didn't spay the female at an earlier time. Then she wouldn't be making herself sick with worry over this. Or just bring the female in to the vet to find out if she is pregnant or not.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Ruby 2 I agree I went back and looked at her post she was defensive from the start. Also she said she was a professional.. I wonder if she meant breeder? Goes to say... maybe labman can read between the lines. Slap my hand. I'm wondering about her female dog as well, maybe she has not heard of uterine cancer.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 01:09 PM
    Exactly bushg. You know, when I was growing up, it wasn't standard practice to spay/neuter. Those were the times when training meant a newspaper and rubbing their noses in their urine to teach housebreaking. Thankfully, we have learned a lot over the years. Anyway, as a result of not spaying our Westie, we lost our sweet, silly little girl to uterine cancer way too soon.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Well, bushg, when you are ready, do a search on West Highland White Terrier Rescue. You will get a number of different hits on that.

Sorry labman, we are getting a bit off topic lately, aren't we?
    -

Jun 4, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Another example of why people should have their dogs spayed and neutered.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/3...tml#post444569

They couldn't keep the puppies past 3 to 4 weeks. What a shame.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

Jun 4, 2007, 03:48 PM
    Agree it's a crying shame, and the truly sad part is that people continue to go to pet stores, and every where else to buy dogs when there are so many free dogs looking for a home in shelters all over the nation
    SnB Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jun 4, 2007, 05:34 PM
    I apologize for the defensivness. Some of these posts are just, not nice. Okay? Having said that. I entered a post giving the situation. My vet did not tell me my female could develop cancer, I've never heard of that.

I'm hoping it didn't take.. I really am. If it does, a pup will not leave my home before it is ready. I'm trying to prevent a future problem here if I have one..

I read on the internet that a vet cannot tell until 40-45 days. I can take her to have her checked. I bought 2 books on dachshunds when I bought her.. Most of the verbiage was on how to take care of them. They don't discuss breeding.

Also to explain - NO I am in no way shape or form a breeder of any kind. I meant that I work in a Professional environment. Looking back at my email, your right. It was extremely rude. Bad day, frustration = no excuse. I'm just looking for advice. I apologize.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 08:08 PM
    The difference between a good and bad person is how many bad days we have. You came on defensive and I overlooked the age of the male and over reacted. Again, I am sorry.

I have an ultrasound of my Zeke's mother's at 30 days. So much for reliability of what you find on the net.
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2007, 05:39 AM
    labman, sorry but I have been away for the past day. You were not abusive to SNB at all. So, I don't understand what you are apologizing for on this one. She was stating what she stated PRIOR to posting anything.

SNB, thank you for apologizing. I think you need to have a discussion with your vet when you bring in your female to be examined. Depending on the vet (just like people docs), unless we ask the questions, they don't think about filling us in on everything. Uterine cancer can be a very real concern and happens all too frequently to unspayed females. If you are at all in doubt as to what has been stated here, ask your vet. I would be interested in hearing his/her response to that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are There Any Free Personals Sites To Meet Single Animal Lovers? [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if anyone knows of any, or has had experiences with any, personals sites, which are absolutely 100% FREE, for singles to meet other singles, but particularly for ANIMAL LOVERS only? THANKS :)

Secure babies become better lovers [ 6 Answers ]

Here's a link to a fascinating story in today's Washington Post. Highlights: I'm not at all surprised. What do you think?

For die-hard sleuths, trivia lovers and brainiacs only. [ 21 Answers ]

It is likely that post # 200,000 will be posted to the site by tomorrow. While the home page shows that we have 183,829 posts, this is total posts minus deleted ones. Pointing to the post # within a thread shows the actual post number in the url. For example, this post right here is post...

Friends or lovers? [ 7 Answers ]

My best friend and I went out for a while last year- it's now been over a year since we split up, but we talk all the time. It was only really after we split up that I realised I was in love with him. Anyway, he has recently become a lot more flirty with me, and we have got much closer than we...

View more questions Search