Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

May 27, 2013, 05:16 AM
    Bio Degradable Plastic Bags...
    Since last Summer we had setup a Compost Bin by the Garbage Shed... Doing a pretty good job at filling it with Kitchen / Table Scraps... The Wife changed the Kitchen Collect Canister to hold Bio Degradable Plastic Bags, that are certified by the Biodegradable Compostable Institute... My Question is , How long does it take for a Foot Square sized bag filled with Kitchen Scraps to breakdown and disintegrate? I'm of the opinion , It would take much longer for the plastic bag to breakdown in our Compost Pile than just taking it to a Landfill Site... Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 27, 2013, 08:25 AM
    You do know, of course, that compostible material can only comprise organic waste, that is left overs from cutting up veggies, etc. You can't put any meat scraps in compostible bins. I would suggest that you keep feeding your bin without the bags, they are only compostible in a land fill site, not in a bag yard compost bin.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are plastic tea bags bad for health? [ 5 Answers ]

So, it appears all the "premium" teas are starting to come in plastic tea bags. In fact, at starbucks that is the only way to get a cup of tea. Seems like putting a plastic tea bag in boiling water is a horrible idea to me, but I am not a scientist. So I wanted to get some more professional...

Grace places plums in bags in bundles of 8 and kiwis in bags in bundles of 4. [ 2 Answers ]

After selling each bag of plums for 2 dollars and bags of kiwis for 5 dollars, she earns 2516 dollars. If Grace sells 7x the amount of kiwis as bags of plums, how many pieces of fruit did she sell?

6 cent tax on plastic bags? [ 18 Answers ]

Mayor Blumbugger is discussing a 6 cent tax on plastic bags,you know the ones,, the groceries are in them every week... What's next,A new tax on snowflakes?

View more questions Search