Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kaalyn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2013, 05:28 AM
    If I have a dangerous infection, would any of my symptoms improve with Amoxicillin?
    So, long story. I had a root canal tooth pulled last Wednesday. They initially thought it may be infected, but were less sure after seeing the second X-ray. They pulled it anyway, and it was a traumatic pull (difficult, took nearly 90 minutes to complete).

I was okay after that... until I woke up at 3AM on Thursday with shivers (in spite of being warm to the touch) and light-headedness. Later that day, I called the dentist and asked his advice. He seemed to disregard it, but acknowledged there may be an infection. He prescribed me Amoxicillin (and Tylenol-3). I went home and basically spent the last two days lying in bed, taking my medicine as prescribed, and sleeping when I could. Some of my symptoms (temperature shifts, flop sweat, some of the light-headedness) improved. I threw up a couple times in the first 24 hours of the antibiotics, but haven't been nauseous since.

Except my symptoms are still fluctuating (or in the case of my faster than usual heart-beat, haven't changed), and now I'm sore in some areas - most worryingly, a very faint pain in my neck. My biggest fear is Bacterial Meningitis. Although I expect I would be much sicker after 4 days than I am (I'm not exactly rushing to the hospital), I guess my question is: Would standard Amoxicillin improve ANY of my symptoms if this were serious? Should I be more or less concerned that I'm improving, but not consistently?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 26, 2013, 05:36 AM
    You should run the course of Amoxicillin (10 days?) before anticipating serious conditions. Use a thermometer, drink plenty, and rest. Follow the procedure for rinsing and brushing the socket carefully. A lot of people are afraid to brush the gum, but you need to remove dead tissue. Your neck pain would ordinarily be muscle pain. It's impossible to make judgments online, of course.

I too have had difficult extractions, until I went to an oral surgeon. For the higher price it's worth it. A minute per tooth, little pain, no complications.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

May 26, 2013, 05:53 AM
    This is a bit tricky. It's hard to tell without an actual exam if the infection has spread or if you even have one at all (you could just be sick from something else).
    As far as an answer goest I totally agree with Joy, keep an eye on the site where you got it pulled and finish the antibiotics so long as you don't get worse or have any other major problems.

If you develop a headache with the neck pain (or it hurts to touch your chin to your neck or you can't perform that movement at all) or if you have a fever then I would suggest going to see a medical doctor before you finish the antibiotics.
    Kaalyn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2013, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernald View Post
    This is a bit tricky. It's hard to tell without an actual exam if the infection has spread or if you even have one at all (you could just be sick from something else).
    As far as an answer goest I totally agree with Joy, keep an eye on the site where you got it pulled and finish the antibiotics so long as you don't get worse or have any other major problems.

If you develop a headache with the neck pain (or it hurts to touch your chin to your neck or you can't perform that movement at all) or if you have a fever then I would suggest going to see a medical doctor before you finish the antibiotics.
    I do have a small headache, but I have no pain whatsoever touching my chin to my chest.

I'm currently running a little hot (99.2F). I would say that I definitely did have fever symptoms, and that they've dissipated somewhat over the last 30-36 hours.

The gum is a little swollen and painful to the touch (particularly the front of the gum). It's healing already, but there's still some dead flesh, in spite of the rinsing. I haven't really attempted to brush the gum, as that sounds painful and it wasn't on the dentists list of instructions. I guess I should do it anyway?
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

May 26, 2013, 07:12 AM
    I'd be careful about brushing it especially if they had to stitch it up, but I think that diluted mouthwash (1/2 water, 1/2 mouthwash) would be okay and since it's been a few days gently brushing the area so long as it's not too painful and won't open up the wound or make it start bleeding.
    If it does start to bleed or anything like that leave it alone and just rinse the area out.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

May 26, 2013, 07:15 AM
    Why not call the dentist for a recheck? It will ease your mind. And, do not brush the gum area. You could disturb the blood clot.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 26, 2013, 07:34 AM
    My trusted oral surgeon's instructions do insist on brushing the gum, and it doesn't hurt.
    If the gum is red, no - that's infection. If white, dead tissue. If pink, it's healing anyway.

I am not sure about any dentist who takes 90 minutes but as I said, I have not had good extractions with dentists. Oral surgeons go through all those extra years of training for a reason.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 26, 2013, 08:57 AM
    I do agree with teach, do not brush the gum area, the clot can't be dislodged for a very good reason... healing. No drinking with straws and if you smoke, don't.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Symptoms from infection [ 5 Answers ]

I am 23 years old, in great shape(not over weight) also never had children, but I had a bacteria infection for a while before I went to the doctor for it (would have gone sooner if I was aware). Ever since then I have had a slightly darker rash around my pubic and upper thigh area. It has even...

Symptoms of a lung infection of a cat [ 1 Answers ]

What are the symptoms of a lung infection of a cat?

Yeast infection with no symptoms [ 7 Answers ]

I had a doctor's appointment the other day for my pap smear, and while they were doing that they also collected a urine sample. I hadn't expected anything to come back positive because I haven't been experiencing symptoms of anything and I had no reason to think I had anything. And then I got a...

Is it dangerous to fly if you have an ear infection and one gland is swollen? [ 1 Answers ]

I am on a trip, went to the Dr before I fly here - He said I had a ear infection in both ears, gave me a shot and a Z pack. I have gotten worse and am to fly home this morning but my one gland is swollen. I will have to land twice before I get there.

Yeast Infection symptoms [ 1 Answers ]

I had yeast infection-like symptoms about four months ago and they were cleared up with Monistat. Would this have happened if the issue was really gonorrhea? I went to the gynecologist recently and I'm awaiting lab results to be on the safe side.

View more questions Search