Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dicklamtoys Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2005, 08:08 AM
    Stop Smoking
    Dear Expert
    Any one have a good method to helping people to stop smoke ? Have any medicine can help ?Is expensive ?
    Thanks
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Jan 31, 2005, 08:53 PM
    Have you considered acpuncture? I had tried cold turkey and the nicotine patch twice. In March of 2004 went for acupuncture and along w/my own will power to quit have now been smoke free for 10 months and saved a total of $2,080.00 not spent on cartons of cigs. I had smoked for 35 yrs. And my lungs had warned me the past 2 yrs. That if I didn't stop that emphysema was just around the corner. So had to make a choice as to how good or bad I wanted to live the rest of my life. Acupuncture takes away that hand to mouth that you do with a cig in your hand. Also no desire to stuff food in my face all the time-that never happened. Went for 4 visits and then I was done. Hopefully this will give you somewhere to start instead of spending a lot of money on things that only keep the nicotine in your system while your trying to quit. I will never pick up a cigarette again as I have QUIT for good!
    ranieri Posts: 136, Reputation: 13

Jun 7, 2005, 10:42 AM
    Stop smoking
    You must decide for yourself, I mean really make up your mind that you want to quit. It is your idea no matter what. And since this is an addiction you will need to find another activity to take the place of smoking.
    Why do you smoke,when do you crave it, really look at it. And replace it with chewing gum, drinking water, something else oral. That you can do or grab when the time strikes.
    When you graduate to that then you need to find another activity that will take you out of your mouth to your body. Like walking, call up a friend, 10 situps every time, something that requires more energy but becomes automatic. Peace ranieri
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2005, 03:54 AM
    Smoking
    Hi,
    I do wish you the very, very best on quitting.
    There are so many ways, but one very important thing to remember about an addiction; it's only one day at a time, just thinking about today, and quitting for today... tomorrow will take care of itself, if you don't think about it.
    Saying that "I have quit for good", may or may not be true; but if you can not smoke today, then don't worry about tomorrow.
    As far as doctors' opinions, most agree that only 1 in 10 people stay quit from smoking.
    The TV news that millions have stopped smoking could be true, but how many stay that way??
    I don't mean to be "negative", but only offer the facts. Smoking is an addiction to a drug; and has to be looked at that way; one day at a time.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jul 8, 2005, 08:49 PM
    Zyban but it is not good for every one
    It is beyond hard to quit, I myself have yet be able to complete this task. I husband which was a chain smoker quit with Zyban. It has been over 3 years. You have to want to quit. He did want to quit.
    Mass Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2005, 05:25 AM
    Facts
    Smoking is a dangerous and self-destructive habit. Various poisons contained within tobacco smoke cause or contribute to cancer of the mouth and lungs, heart problems, emphysema, gum disease and a variety of other physical diseases.
    Cigarette smoking is the most preventable cause of premature death in the United States . That's important! Want evidence of the dangers of smoking?
    Consider these statistics:
    A smoker's risk of heart attack is more than twice that of nonsmokers. Cigarette smoking is the biggest risk factor for sudden cardiac death -- smokers are looking at two to four times the risk of nonsmokers. Studies have shown that cigarette smoking is also an important risk factor for stroke. The evidence also indicates that chronic exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (secondhand smoke, passive smoking) may increase the risk of heart disease.
    Most smokers sincerely want to quit. They know cigarettes threaten their health, set a bad example for their children, annoy their acquaintances and cost an inordinate amount of money.
    Nobody can force a smoker to quit. It's something each person has to decide for himself. Sometimes the cigarette is used as a tranquilizer.. Once a smoker understands his own smoking behavior, he will be able to cope more successfully and select the best quitting approaches for himself and the type of life-style he leads.
    Quitting is hard, but don't give up!
    Quit smoking Now! For better Life,!
    Shidoshi Posts: 71, Reputation: 4

Nov 14, 2005, 11:45 AM
    Excellent information Mass. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.
    suirvale Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Dec 13, 2005, 02:36 PM
    Stopping smoking
    Has anyone ever tried eft and tapping,, I know when I tap my chest it really helps me dut down on smoking, I was told by a leaind alt medicien practioneer that to tap vigioursly 15 every hour it will release flem and slowly I will lose the desire for smoking, also eating oranges as some biochemical aids to stop smoking,, regds mike

Dec 15, 2005, 01:24 PM
    I stopped smoking because of a bet made with my best friend and I think this was the best bet of my life because I am still trying to win it. ITs made for 20 years from now. I stopped smoking because of it and I hope I'll never have the occasion to smoke again.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2005, 01:28 PM
    Cold turkey, and very strong will. You do need any medicine or anything to quit. If you truly want to quit you will. I do not care how long you have been smoking for, you can do it if you really want to.

A couple of my family members have quit cold turkey. My grandfather who was smoking for close to 60 years but the reason why he quit was health reasons. Some people do not quit until they get a scare.

My uncle was smoking 3 packs a day. Quit cold turkey and has not smoked for 15 years.

My other uncle has quit cold turkey for almost a year now and he says its because the price is too high.

Joe

Dec 15, 2005, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Cold turkey, and very strong will. You do need any medicine or anything to quit. If you truely want to quit you will. I do not care how long you have been smoking for, you can do it if you really want to.

A couple of my family members have quit cold turkey. My grandfather who was smoking for close to 60 years but the reason why he quit was health reasons. Some people do not quit until they get a scare.

My uncle was smoking 3 packs a day. Quit cold turkey and has not smoked for 15 years.

My other uncle has quit cold turkey for almost a year now and he says its because the price is too high.

Joe
    You are perfectly right. The will is the most important factor in this situation. My father also quit cold turkey after 20 years of smoking exactly like I did now. Its all in the will. "Use the force Luke!" :D
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2009, 12:16 PM

Have you tried the gum... perhaps have a piece of nicotine gum when you fancy a ciggy, then if you must, have a ciggy, then a piece of gum until eventually your having more gum than cigarettes.

It works for some even if you do get jaw ache.

As been said before you really have to want to quit... DO YOU HAVE THE WILL POWER
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Apr 16, 2009, 05:41 PM
    My grandfather smoked for about 30 or 40 years but quit after my mom and grandmother asked his doctor to tell him that he had a pre-cancerous lesion in his throat. After that, he stopped completely in one day and never started again. Try to quit before you have a serious health scare, otherwise it may be too late. Good luck, we all hope you succeed.
    Holistic Doctor Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

Apr 16, 2009, 08:10 PM

Some Homeopathic companies offer nicotine-antidote pills for helping to quit smoking.
    The pills are affordable, quite safe, harmless and many people have found them effective.
    TerriNC Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2012, 06:20 PM
    Zyban/Wellbutrin (Bupropion) has been very effective for me in actually decreasing the satisfaction/taste of cigarettes until I felt like "why bother".

Originally developed and marketed as an antidepressant under the Wellbutrin name, it was reintroduced as Zyban as a stop-smoking drug.

Either brand or the generic should work equally well. It is not recommended that the patient try to stop smoking for at least two weeks, but I found that by that time, I had just lost my taste for cigarettes.

Truly, I would have to recommend this drug, but ONLY if you have made up your mind to kick the habit. Until you do that, nothing will work.

Best of luck; you CAN do this!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unmarried woman have to stop menses bleeding of first day tell the medicines [ 1 Answers ]

Unmarried woman have to stop menses bleeding of first day which is emergency to stop it go to a holy place teel the medicines which effects quickly and availabli in pakistan

I can't seem to stop smoking [ 2 Answers ]

I quit smoking a few months back, but a rough breakup got me back into it. I'm having a lot of trouble dealing with the hurt of the end of a 4 year relationship, so it makes it that much more difficult to resist smoking. I'll be strong, and confident one moment, but the next day I'll be driving...

Wants to stop smoking [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend has been smoking weed everyday for 3 years now and now he has decided he wants to stop get a good job play sports and get his life back on track and he has come to me for help wanting me to help him not buy help him not smoke and to help him think of a plan to stop and I have agreed to...

Stop Smoking [ 3 Answers ]

Friends, Tell me that could the habit of smoking can be changed without the knowledge of the person addicted to it.

I want him to stop smoking. [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everyone.. I want to ask is smoking bad to ones health?? I know a guy he is smoking since sckool dayz and now he is 27 yesterday I talked with him our topic waz smoking he says no one dies from smoking.. is this true?? I want to stop him from smoking what should I tell him.. when ever I say...

View more questions Search