Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 24, 2013, 05:12 PM
    Can you believe this?
    This girl was offered a sweetheart deal and she blows it off. I hope she is convicted. While I'm normally a fan of the ACLU they have gone too far with this one.

Teen rejects plea deal in Florida underage sex case
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 24, 2013, 06:47 PM
    What I can't believe is that they are trying to take the position that it is OK. Just because it was same sex. If the ACLU had its way then there would be no age limit regardless. They need to get their heads out of the sand on this one and focus on the law. Many people have been convicted and branded under the law and this case is no different. That fact remains the child was under the age of consent. And the comments on the page just show the current attitude surrounding the gay commnity as a whole. Push the agenda and to hell with everyone else.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 25, 2013, 01:14 AM
    Ditto
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 25, 2013, 05:15 AM
    Hello Scott:

If there's a bad guy here, it's her attorney's - NOT the ACLU.. All they did was issue a statement.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 25, 2013, 06:06 AM
    I agree - this hinges on the parents/the Attorneys. All the ACLU is doing is reaping publicity.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 25, 2013, 07:03 AM
    The only thing I agree with their lawyers about was this:

"If this case involved a boy and girl, there would be no media attention to this case."

I agree, but if the case involved a boy and a girl, the boy would still be prosecuted. Even more, a boy having sex with a 14 yr old would have probably not been offered such a deal. The only facts that are pertinent to this case was that an older person had sex with an underaged person who cannot legally consent to sex. The only questions to be decided was the younger person under the age of consent when the sex act occurred and did the sex act actually occur. If the answer to both questions is yes, then a conviction should ensue. And her attorneys are doing her a disservice by not explaining that to her.

The ACLU is not necessarily the bad guys, but they are wrong for condoning such behavior.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 25, 2013, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Scott:

If there's a bad guy here, it's her attorney's - NOT the ACLU.. All they did was issue a statement.

excon
    They issued a logically lame statement.

As for her attorneys, sometimes you can only play the cards you have been dealt. Or, to mix the metaphor, throw it against the wall and hope something sticks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search