Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soperplexed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2013, 08:21 AM
    Credit union auto loan approved, rec'd check purchased auto & then they declined loan
    Son applied for auto loan through credit union, credit union approved the loan, sent the check for the loan. Purchased the auto and signed all the paperwork. Three days after taking possession of auto, the credit union phoned and said they can not honor the loan. Tried to contact them for a reason and no explanation give. We have approval number for the loan. We contacted the dealership and they have not heard anything in regards to the check being rejected. We do not know what to do, should we drive the car, return the car. What about the funds we paid out of pocket for the car. We have the pink slip, the temporary tags, we purchased insurance for the auto. No one is giving us answers and I have never heard of a situation like this.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 24, 2013, 08:39 AM
    I would phone back again, give your son's name and reference numbers and ask if they are referring to the wrong person. Which credit union is this? One that belongs to his employment?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 24, 2013, 08:51 AM
    I sell cars... I have not come across this yet and hope I never have to. Really though, if the loan was approved and the check sent, I don't see how they can just drop it once everything was signed... unless your son lied on the application and they discovered this. Lying could void it out but other than that, I can't see it.

You need to get in touch with them and get an answer. There has to be someone there that can talk to you and if they won't do it over the phone, go there in person.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 24, 2013, 09:30 AM
    The problem here is they ALREADY honored the loan, by issuing a check. But I would not drive the car for about a week. If you don't here from the dealer that the money was recalled, I would forget about it.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 24, 2013, 10:03 AM
    'Tried to contact them for a reason and no explanation give.'
    Call again, demand to speak to the manager, or go march in their door. No reason to sit around stressing about it, and I would be angry too. If it's a mistake and they are trying to brush it off, they owe you an apology. Tell them so.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jun 7, 2013, 06:36 PM
    If a loan is declined you MUST be notified in writing. A simple telephone call is not legal. Write a letter dirctlky to the president or CEO of the Credit Union or even better go to their office with all of you paperwork and insist on talking to a Manager.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 8, 2013, 04:20 AM
    A real issue here, is you also signed a contract to buy the car, you have used the car and driven the car, so there will be liability to the dealership, it is not their fault, So this is going to get complicated.

The son, ( this is his loan) needs to go in person and I would go with him, to the credit union to resolve this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto loan converted to personal loan with same monthly installments (72 mo.) [ 1 Answers ]

Topic: None Chosen Your Question: "I have a auto loan converted to a signature loan due to the bank not receiving the car title, so they converted it to a persoanl loan. Once the bank did that my auto loan (secured loan) just became a personal loan (unsecured loan) but yet the months of...

Auto reposession/Default on Auto Loan [ 3 Answers ]

To whom could lend some immediate advice, I purchased a 2005 brand new vehicle in 2005. This automobile has been repossessed as of 5/07. In addition, I filed bankruptcy (Chapter 13) in 2006 to avoid this very problem, however that has been dismissed for lack of payments. My current...

What is the breakdown for the interest & principal on my auto loan [ 1 Answers ]

I had $32433.96 on 60 months with 8.75%.

Getting approved for an auto loan? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking into getting my first car, and my parents are taking out a loan from the bank so that I don't have to make car payments (my insurance is high enough as is, being a new driver). I was wondering how long it typically takes to be approved or denied? They have pretty good credit and own a...

An auto loan and my credit? [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a car and financed it through the dealer. The only reason I did this is because I am coming into a large sum of money in a week or so and figured I would just pay off the car loan when that money arrives. However, my credit is not that great and the auto dealer told me that if I made...

View more questions Search