Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nzou Posts: 62, Reputation: 2
    -

May 23, 2013, 05:32 AM
    Could my girlfriend be pregnant?
    My girlfriend started her last period on 23 April. She has a regular 24-25 day cycle so she was expecting to have her next period on the 18 May. We had unprotected sex on 1 May and she took a morning after pill on 2 May (the next day). If I have my calculations right she must have ovulated on the 6th. We had unprotected sex again on the 8th and 9th. Now its 23 May and she hasn't had her period yet. Could it be delayed by the Morning after pill she took or she's pregnant. What are the chances she is pregnant and when is the right time to take a pregnancy test.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

May 23, 2013, 05:49 AM
    Hello, I can't say for sure if she's pregnant or what her odds are after taking the morning after pill as these types of things vary from person to person. Yes, there is a higher chance she could be pregnant, particularly if she didn't take the morning after pill or use protection after any sexual contact (namely the last two dates you mentioned).
    As far as taking a pregnancy test, she can start taking the test about three weeks or 21 days after the date she had unprotected sex. But, these results may vary from person to person and according to which test she is using. The best way to tell for sure is for her to see her doctor if there's any question after taking the in home tests.

Good luck!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 23, 2013, 06:50 AM
    She should wait until about 2 weeks after missing her period (which would be after 6/1) and then she can take an HPT using first morning urine.
    -

May 23, 2013, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernald View Post
    Hello, I can't say for sure if she's pregnant or what her odds are after taking the morning after pill as these types of things vary from person to person. Yes, there is a higher chance she could be pregnant, particularly if she didn't take the morning after pill or use protection after any sexual contact (namely the last two dates you mentioned).
    As far as taking a pregnancy test, she can start taking the test about three weeks or 21 days after the date she had unprotected sex. But, these results may vary from person to person and according to which test she is using. The best way to tell for sure is for her to see her doctor if there's any question after taking the in home tests.

Good luck!
    What if she takes the test within a week of missing her period. Will a positive result be trusted or it might be a false positive?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 23, 2013, 07:14 AM
    The accuracy of an HPT increases greatly as time passes from when the period is missed. During the first week the accuracy is less than 50%. But by the end of the second week it goes over 90%
    -

May 23, 2013, 07:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    The accuracy of an HPT increases greatly as time passes from when the period is missed. During the first week the accuracy is less than 50%. But by the end of the second week it goes over 90%
    Okay thanks. Will wait until next week then.
    Expert

May 23, 2013, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzou View Post
    Will a positive result be trusted or it might be a false positive?
    Also to add to Scottgem's advice, false positives can happen due to a 'bad' pregnancy test, certain medications, or even not following the instructions on the box. But, the only way to know for sure is to get an 'official' pregnancy test and examination from a doctor. False positives can be caused from a variety of things, but until it's proven to be negative I think treating it as though she is pregnant and taking the appropriate next medical action is the best way to go.
    -

May 24, 2013, 04:50 AM
    Okay I couldn't help but wait. She took the test and it came out positive. And I will treat it as positive unless she goes on her periods again.
    I'm going to be a daddy... :-)
    Scary thought but it will work out for the best... I guess...
    Expert

May 24, 2013, 09:07 AM
    Congratulations!

As far as being a parent: Just do your best, that's the best you can do!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could my girlfriend be pregnant? Please help! [ 3 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I are very sexually active. Unfortunately, sometimes we just can't help it, and we have sex unprotected, albeit we stop before I finish, it's still possible she is.. Well, we've been expecting her period for three now, but instead she gets pretty much random spotting or REALLY...

Is my girlfriend pregnant? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay.. My girlfriend has almost every single early symptom of early pregnancy but we aren't sure yet, because she still has around 5 days before her next period. This happened while she was ovulating, as well. Breasts are larger. Breasts are always sore and sensitive. Headaches. Always...

Could my girlfriend be pregnant? [ 5 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend had sex 3 days before her period, we used a condom but it popped, after we had sex she never had her period, she is now 12 days late... could she be pregnant?

Ex girlfriend and pregnant girlfriend [ 4 Answers ]

Right... I have a girlfriend that I've been with not long. Right however I am in contact with my ex again after not talking for a yr. We broke up because she didn't trust me, so I moved on and basically jumped into another relationship. I don't know what I should do because I still love my ex,...

Ex Girlfriend or Pregnant Girlfriend [ 10 Answers ]

I had been seeing my partner for 8 years and have had a fantastic relationship. We had a really good lifestyle and I genuinely feel like she was my soulmate and true love. Trouble is I didn't know it. I hit 40 and had what I now see as a mid life crisis. I split with my girlfriend in November,...

View more questions Search