Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msn644 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2013, 12:38 PM
    Human Resources Help
    I have employee that works for my cleaning service she is a team leader has has now started her own company and has gotten one of my clents. I want to term her but afraid she may fill for unemployment. If I understand that's she is now self employeed she can't collect correct.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 22, 2013, 01:08 PM
    To collect unemployment you have to be ready and able to work. If she is working for herself, she is not ready and able to work. In addition, she is required to report her income for each week. If it exceeds the max award she doesn't get anything.

Also, stealing your customer would seem to be grounds for termination. If you report her termination as such, that may make it more difficult for her to qualify.

So I would terminate her.

Also, in the future, I would get all employees to sign a non-compete agreement that prohibits them from contacting any of your customers during employment and for 6 months after terminating employment. You can't prevent them from working in the same field, but if you can prove they contacted your customer, you have grounds to sue them.
    msn644 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2013, 01:51 PM
    Hr issues
    Here is more information I own a cleaning company and my main worker who runs my team has gone and underbid a job that I bid on. The job is cleaning a bank. I was cleaning for the bank but another company underbid me in February. The bank was not happy with there work so asked me for a new bid. My employee dates the person that works at the bank who was my boss. I gave him my bid then he went and helped my employee get a business license and then she underbid me. She of course got the job and also has recruited my other workers to help her clean the bank. What can I do about this? Do I have grounds to fire her and the co-worker that is helping her
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 22, 2013, 01:55 PM
    Yes, I think you do. Of course it would be a slam dunk if you had previously had your employees sign a non-compete as I suggested.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2013, 01:59 PM
    You can probably fire both of them as most states are no-fault. Certainly if they have become your competitor and are taking business away from you, that's a reasonable reason to fire them but you probably don't need to cite a reason at all.

As for whether you will have to cover unemployment benefits, etc. you would need to stipulate where you are located and perhaps someone can weigh in on that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human resources [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a medical and drug/alcohol test soon for a potential job. I am currently taking anti depressant tablets and have been for 4 months and hopefully this will be my last month taking them Now I also have paperwork to fill out which asks about any tablets I'm taking so I can't lie about the...

Ask human resources [ 2 Answers ]

I am in sales and a customer asked why I was taking a few days off. I told her, benignly, that I was having a procedure so that I can't have more kids. She immediately told me it was too personal and I apologied. A few days later, her supervisor approached me and told me she had told him and he...

Human Resources [ 12 Answers ]

What questions (at least FIVE questions) should we ask related to job and HRIS? Tq

Human Resources [ 7 Answers ]

Hello to you, and thanks again for taking the time to view and answer my questions - this is awsome!! I just found out I’m pregnant (Happy). I went through my employee handbook to find out what is said about maternity leave and to my surprise; there is little to nothing at all. My human...

View more questions Search