Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aeyote Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2013, 03:14 AM
    Tiny White Insects in Home
    So the other day I was sitting around and found a tiny white bug crawling on me. I was able to make out a few details with it. I tried searching for a match but so far have yet to come up with anything.

They're small, about half the size of a grain of rice, white and thin with short antennae. I didn't get a close enough view to see if it had wings or not. I've already ruled out bed bugs and I believe lice because the abdomen was about the same size as the rest of the body.

I'd like to know if it's going to be a problem or if it's just a simple gnat.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 22, 2013, 04:01 AM
    Are you certain it was an adult insect? You mentioned antennae, which made me think of termites, which are about the right size, but they so seldom come into the open I tend to dismiss that thought.

The only other insect that comes close to matching your description would be some species of thrips. If you have indoor/outdoor houseplants this is a possibility.

Here's a link with fairly complete information about all the thrips:

Thrips - Home - Virginia Cooperative Extension

May 22, 2013, 04:14 AM
    I wondered if they were nymphs as well. I've only encountered one as of yet but if I see another one I'll try to get a better look. From

From what you linked though, the thrip isn't the right body type. Nor the termites from the images I saw.

It was small enough to where I couldn't see the legs but more over felt them. It was flatter.
    Pest Control Expert

May 22, 2013, 11:48 AM
    "flatter" makes me think of lice. Have you looked up Psocids? Booklice don't always have a wide abdomen.

To your original question of whether to worry, about the only thing 'whitish' bugs inside a home have in common is a need for high humidity. Drying out the environment may be the only step needed to avoid trouble with any of them.

May 22, 2013, 08:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    "flatter" makes me think of lice. Have you looked up Psocids? Booklice don't always have a wide abdomen.

To your original question of whether to worry, about the only thing 'whitish' bugs inside a home have in common is a need for high humidity. Drying out the environment may be the only step needed to avoid trouble with any of them.
    Thanks. ^^ I'll do my best to seek out any eggs or anything to see if it is indeed lice or other psocids. I'll keep doing some research to see if I find a match.
    Pest Control Expert

May 23, 2013, 02:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeyote View Post
    Thanks. ^^ I'll do my best to seek out any eggs or anything to see if it is indeed lice or other psocids. I'll keep doing some research to see if I find a match.
    A picture, even a cell phone pic, would be of immense value in identification.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What are tiny white insects on wood [ 1 Answers ]

I saw what I thought was dust on my dresser but when I looked closer something was moving & it was a very tiny white insect

Tiny white insect/pests roaming around my home [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, can anyone tell me what the tiny white pests are that are in all the rooms in my home? They are mainy on wooden furniture but I've also seen them on walls in my bathroom. I've even seen them on my baby's cot!! They are not in groups. You acually only see one at a time. They are tiny and at...

Tiny black insects [ 1 Answers ]

I have spots of what looked like particles of dirt in my laundry room corners. When I attempted to clean it up it moved. Tiny black bugs or larvae. The laundry room is connected to the garage and cat box is down there too. Bus only appear in two corners. One is where carpeting ends. Any...

Tiny Light Brown Tick Looking Insects in Drawers [ 3 Answers ]

I just found these extremely small light brown bugs in my daughter's closet and haven't the faintest idea what they are. I want to say that I've seen them in the bathroom near some of the mildew and grime, but why would they also be where it's dry and very clean? Her clothing is washed regularly...

View more questions Search