Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ta4554sp Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2013, 07:26 AM
    Light switch has black and white. Can I add a light to this
    I want to add light to a room. I want to add it to the wall switch to operate both lights. My switch has a black and white only. Can this be done? I can't access the wiring on the original lights to draw power from it.
    Walter Meek Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2013, 07:34 AM
    NO You cannot add a light from the wiring of the switch. You have no neutral . You need to get an Licensed electrician to add your light because depending what Codes you are under there may be more requirements.

May 21, 2013, 07:37 AM
    OK thanks for you quick response..

May 21, 2013, 07:44 AM
    I have found an outlet to draw power from. How do I go about wiring the light? Does it need to have its own switch or can I use the original?

May 21, 2013, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Meek View Post
    NO You cannot add a light from the wiring of the switch. You have no neutral . You need to get an Licensed electrician to add your light because depending what Codes you are under there may be more requirements.
    I have found an outlet to draw power from. How do I go about wiring the light? Does it need to have its own switch or can I use the original?
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2013, 09:06 AM
    What kind of lights are existing? Based on having only a black and a white at the switch location, the conductors you need access to are located at the existing fixture.
    Can you get to the wiring at the existing fixture?
    (if you are in the US you are permitted to do electrical work in a property that you own... )

May 21, 2013, 09:19 AM
    Yes in the US I will be going the long way through the attic to pull wire through to the existing lights. Just basic lights in vanity and adding a recessed light to shower it will be a pain, but I know it will work this way. Thanks for the reply, I can do this, just didn't know if I might be able to find a faster or easier way.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2013, 09:20 AM
    Be safe...
    JoeDunn Posts: 36, Reputation: 0

May 22, 2013, 03:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ta4554sp View Post
    yes in the US I will be going the long way through the attic to pull wire through to the existing lights. Just basic lights in vanity and adding a recessed light to shower it will be a pain, but I know it will work this way. Thanks for the reply, I can do this, just didn't know if I might be able to find a faster or easier way.
    Ta,

Regarding your comment "adding a recessed light to a shower"... you need to review the below listed NEC CODE before doing anything in to your shower area. Also, You are aware that because you are (installing new branch circuits, extending old branch circuit from existing switches and/or fixtures) you must apply for a permit and have your work inspected. The permit is very inexpensive and your local code official should be able to provide you with some guidance as to how to do everything in a safe manner.

NEC 2011

ARTICLE 404 Switches

404.4 Damp or Wet Locations

(C) Switches in Tub or Shower Spaces. Switches shall not be installed within tubs or shower spaces unless installed as part of a listed tub or shower assembly.

ARTICLE 410 - Luminaires, Lampholders, and Lamps

I. General

410.1 Scope. This article covers luminaires, portable luminaires, lampholders, pendants, incandescent filament lamps, arc lamps, electric-discharge lamps, decorative lighting products, lighting accessories for temporary seasonal and holiday use, portable flexible lighting products, and the wiring and equipment forming part od such products and lighting installations.

410.5 Live Parts. Luminaires, portable luminaires, lampholders, and lamps shall have no live paarts normally exposed to contact. Exposed accessible terminals in lampholders and switches shall not be installed in metal luminaire canopies or in open bases of portable table or floor luminaires.

410.6 Listing Required. All luminaires and lampholders shall be listed.

II. Luminaire Locations

410.10 Luminaires in Specific Locations.

(A) Wet and Damp Locations. Luminaires installed in wet or damp locations shall be installed that water cannot enter or accumulate in wiring compartments, lampholders, or ither electrical parts. All luminaires installed in wet locations shall be marked, "Suitable for Wet Locations." All luminaires installed in damp locations shall be marked, "Suitable for Wet Locations" or "Suitable for Damp Locations."

(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord-connected luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended luminaires, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2,5 m (8ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the space directly over the tub or shower stall. Luminaires located within the outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for damp locations, or marked for wet locatio0ns where subject to shower spray.

COMMENT: Additional restriction also apply for support/mounting and for installation in suspended ceilings.

Joe
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 22, 2013, 11:53 AM
    Ta -

There is an awful lot of useless information in the responses above along with a comment that describes a response that is inaccurate, which is in an of itself incorrect.

Let's start all the way back from the beginning. Your initial question wanted to know if you could add your light to the "Switch".

The answer to that question is no. Because a simple snap switch carries only the hot connection, there is no Neutral conductor back to the branch circuit. The "White conductor on the switch is being used to carry power to the switch. The Black conductor on the switch carries the voltage from the switch back to the fixture. What you have is known as a "switch loop". The power is brought into the ceiling outlet and routed to the switch and then back to the device.

The answer to your question was correctly given to you. You connect the black from the new light to the black from the switch and old light. The white from the new light goes to the white from old light and the white from the neutral in the supply cable.

Now both lights will work off the one existing switch.

None of the above addresses the addition of a new branch circuit or putting a water proof fixture over your shower.

I warn you, that if you do not know what you are doing or select the wrong type of light fixture you can create a very serious condition that might well end up hurting yourself of someone else.

As to the incorrect statement made by Joe Dunn, If this is a home you own and reside in that home, most states will allow you to do all the work you want, providing you file the proper work description and purchase a permit. If you own a home or even an apartment/condo that you lease to someone else, a licensed electrician must do the work. The permit will require you to have the work inspected when it is completed. This is true here in Virginia where I reside.

New York City, however only allows licensed electricians to do electrical work. I've heard that some states do not even require electricians to be licensed, however I do not know that to be a true statement.

As for the other work you want to do, vanity/shower light, if you open a new thread, I'll be happy to help you sort through that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light switch with 3 black, 2 white and 1 red [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 black, 2 white and 1 red wires. The previous switch had 6 connections. The 3 black and 1 red was connected to one side, and the 2 white on the other side. I can't find a switch with 6 connections (screws). The switch I bought has 5 connections (screw) what do I do?

How wire a light switch from red-black and white wires to a 2 wire light switch [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to change my light switch, but the problem I have is the old switch has a red, black and white wire connected with 3 different screw places for each wire. The new switch only has 2 connection screws, so I am wondering how to wire this up? FYI The house was built in 1954. And there is no...

Light switch red black white wires single switch [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone, been reading many questions and answers about light switches but it's not exactly as the problem I'm facing... So I'll try and be specific and clear... So this is a new house, we moved in a week ago, so I wanted to change the regular switch in the bathroom for one with a moving...

3 black and 3 white wires... wall switch will not turn light off [ 2 Answers ]

Ceiling box has 3 black wires and 3 white wires... light will not turn off at wall switch when wired

Replacing light switch with dimmer red black blue white wires [ 0 Answers ]

I'm replacing a light switch That Controls on light socket in the room for a lamp with a dimmer switch my old switch had 2 black wires and a white but the new dimmer has a red black blue green the new lights have only black and white wires ? How do I make this light work with this switch ?

View more questions Search